Getting Electricity Back

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by giraffez, 2nd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Never say never... :D

It happened to a friend when she moved into a house that had been empty for several weeks.

The inspector tested every point, but my friend didn't have a key to the door between house and garage. She had the garage door opener, but the inspector refused to turn on the power to allow her to lift the door so he could check the garage power. He simply left without turning it on.

Luckily, she called the power company in tears and they sent a sensible man out.

I've not heard of this happening often, and we've never had it happen to us but usually we don't have more than a week with an empty house.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Correct - BUT if any switch is left on for lights or anything, they will refuse to reconnect - in which case you need to go in and switch it off (as we have had to do on more than one occasion)....

The Y-man

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I've only been asked to make sure the mains switch is off at the meter. That's all.

No need to have the internal switches off. But the mains has to be off.

Apparently it is switched on remotely these days - at least in my area. No inspectors actually visit.

Must be more manual in QLD. Maybe due to older switchboards?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Smart meter?

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes, I think so.

Though, on reflection, I think someone has to come and do the final meter read, so perhaps not actually remote...( though I did get that impression when I called...)

Last edited: 3rd Jun, 2017
  6. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

We learned an expensive lesson- they refused to reconnect power because switch was modified by our previous electrician tenant (seller). It's in Brisbaneo_O

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.