Getting advice about a build. (Adelaide)

Discussion in 'Development' started by michaelavelli, 30th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. michaelavelli

michaelavelli New Member

Hi there.

My wife and I are in the process of doing a knockdown/rebuild on our block. This is for a principle resident, no investment properties here. We bought a small, old house several years ago and now want to build a new, bigger hours to accommodate our family.

We have gone through financing and are pretty much set with that. We've received all of the paperwork from the builder (Statesman). Footing reports, selections, etc., all done. Council approval is done. Frankly this all happened quicker than I thought.

My problem? I don't know anything about any of this. I have a finance background, and just don't know anything about engineering, etc. I'm trying to read over these plans (they're looking for final sign-off so they can set an okay to start date) and much of it is just jibberish to me. I'm not a dumb person, I don't think, but yeah, I don't know, maybe I am.

My question is this - is it possible to "hire" a professional in the industry to just look over these plans and point out any red flags? I don't even know if this is a thing that people do. I could be totally getting ripped off or assuming that some "builder" requirement is normal when it's really not, etc. I just don't want to get taken advantage of.

I'm happy to pay someone a kind of consulting fee, or hourly fee, whatever (like you would a lawyer to look over a contract), but I literally don't know if that's something people do.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

It is, and I regularly refer my clients to a company here in Melbourne.

It’s looking over plans and looking over the builders work. An independent building inspector.

Not sure about Adelaide. @DaveM or @Corey Batt might have some leads for you.

Pm me if you’d like the name of the Melbourne company I use, they may know someone in SA...

Last edited: 31st Aug, 2018
    DaveM likes this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a review of build specs, PC items, inclusions, exclusions etc this is something I may be able to assist with.

If it has gone through council and DAC without any red flags then design wise you are generally OK. But contract inclusions etc are entirely at your review, so things like floors, AC, curtains, landscaping, etc etc will be in your construction contract

4. Zizos

Zizos New Member

Hi Michael,

I am in your exact position right now, building in Adelaide with Statesman! I have similar questions to you and wonder how you went about it in the end. Assuming you are in your new house now and can offer some advice or assistance :)

Thanks,