Getting a Valuation soon, would this divider classify a 4th bed room?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Barny, 23rd Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I’m putting in 4 big doors on a rail system to make bifold doors and seperate the rooms above the step, both rooms are about 9x5m.
    I already have 3 bedrooms upstairs, would this classify as a 4th bedroom when the valuation takes place?

Doors are similar to this

Behind were I’m standing is a bathroom/shower/toilet. AD6AC6D6-C63A-4C2C-822D-5B0721FAE7F6.jpeg B4F45D5F-B95F-462D-A3E7-54C149CEC978.png

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

ive had problems with created bedrooms in the past where a valuer wouldn't classify the new bedroom as a bedroom.

It is depends on the valuer.

Also a way around may be to use a lender that accepts a desktop

Barny likes this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Not really a bedroom no

And what light/ventilation is there in the new room

4. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Light/ventilation? Not sure I understand. There’s doors in each room that access to outside and windows

5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

If I used plaster and one door, would that classify as a bedroom? Is there a building code what sets out what a bedroom is or has to be made of?

6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

To be classed as a habitable room it needs to have a minimum light and ventilation (ie opening windows).

If you were to build a stud wall with door that would do the job. You would need to build a vestibule to enter the bedroom as you cannot have a door opening directly off a step into a room

7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

F8120160-B6E8-4DDB-A1B3-FC3AAD7AA9AF.png
    Thanks Dave,
    Was hoping it would work.
    You can enter the bedroom via the outside as well, will be interesting to see what the valuer comes back with. I'll dress it up as a bedroom to see if it will pass.
    Can an agent legally advertise and sell the house as a 4 bedroom house if I leave the bifold door divider?

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Will having a fourth bedroom that doesn't really feel "right" add more value than having a second living area with a lovely outlook?

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

They could but teh room wouldnt pass standards if your bifolds are on the step level per above re door opening onto a step

Barny likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are you basing this on the NCC?

11. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Thanks Wyllie, it’s only for valuation purposes. House has 2 large living areas even with 4th bedroom.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Latest version of the NCC says this about changes in level (there may be other provisions, I've just had a quick look):

Thresholds
    Where the threshold of a doorway is more than 230 mm above the adjoining surface it must incorporate steps having 3.9.1.2.

I would have the door into the room open into the corridor though - not into the room - or use a sliding door.

Last edited: 24th Feb, 2018
  13. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

F2F00775-4DF6-48FD-B6D0-33B1F3182845.jpeg
    Sorry not visualising what you mean? Do you mean use a sliding door below the step?

The red circles are indicating where sliding doors lead to the outside in both rooms and I have a staircase indicated in yellow.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I thought you were considering putting up a stud wall in the opening following (on top of) the raised section of floor? Another poster mentioned that this would not be acceptable due to the level change in the floor immediately after the door into the new room.

I have provided an excerpt from the NCC and am just suggesting if you were to create a stud wall along the level change it would be better not to have the door into the room swinging out over the level change.

Were you thinking of putting the stud wall somewhere else?

15. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Ah ok, nah was hoping to get away with using bifold doors above the step to seperate both rooms and hopefully pass it off as a 4th bedroom come valuation time. It's a come see valuation so can't do desk val. I'll let everyone know how it goes in a months time.