Getting a sore neck ...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 25th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

In the 40s... unless something happens to Trump and Pence (who believes it's his destiny from God to become president) gets into power, and puts it into the 20s.

The US will be great again... if you're a white Christian straight male. People who have been scared to say that they don't like Hispanics, Muslims, blacks, gays etc have become more vocal already. If you're a woman, it appears that you will still be respected - as long as you respect the male role in society, accepting sexual assault, carrying an unwanted child to term, and the the man as head.

luckyone, Toon, wategos and 1 other person like this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It will get uglier before it gets better - pace yourself as we're in for a long haul

Those with the power (white, male, straight, christian) won't give it up lightly and - as already proven - will not hesitate to resort to dirty tactics and gutter feeding to achieve their aim

Be appeased by the knowledge that real change - effectual change - doesn't come without the hard yards. There is a lot that can be learnt from our Suffragette, workers revolution and 1970's protesting examples from the past

Toon and wylie like this.
  3. geoffw

I think either side is quite capable of dirty tactics now.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree with this. They are all willing to do whatever it takes to get their party in, keep it in, and vote along the party line. Mostly out politicians are the same.

I do not believe Flake will vote against his own party line, even though I believe he is fundamentally a decent man who knows he is selling out his morals. I've wondered why he is prepared to do this. I think it comes down to the fact that even though he is not standing for his seat again, he doesn't want to be shunned by his old party friends. Either way he votes he will be hated by those on the other side. He has been called spineless before and must know he cannot win. He reported that when he stood up and said he would not vote yes unless there was an FBI check, he was put under tremendous pressure in a back room.

He will cave, as he has done before when he's stood up, made fine speeches calling Trump out on his disgusting behaviour, then voted with the party. They are all the same. They want to protect their backsides first.

Even without the latest sexual assault claims, it is reported (with documentary evidence to prove it) that Kavanaugh is known to have lied under oath several times (stolen emails). If he was a Democrat he would have been discarded as SCOTUS pick long ago. But Republicans want and need to get one of their own on the bench to create a 5/4 and they will sell their souls to do it.

Ambit, Toon, geoffw and 1 other person like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've wondered why I care so much about what happens in the US. Apart from holding most of our super in international shares, it doesn't affect me.

Trump is trying to run the country like a dictator (and has said as much), but you'd think there are enough good people to stop it. But it seems there are more than enough people prepared to use him as a puppet to get what they've been trying to get for years.

The same men who are supporting him are the very ones who bagged him after the Access Hollywood tape and some said publicly they would not support him, some asked him to step down from the nominations. Now they hold him up on a pedestal. But only because he is useful at this moment. When they have what they want, I reckon he might be in trouble even with the Republicans.

Toon and geoffw like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Contrary to this thought line - what happens in the US affects us here. Whether it be the trade wars or the acceptance of the immoral behaviour of those in authority.

The term "fake news" and backlash against the media has already spread to here - those who are anti-immigrant are emboldened by what they see overseas - protectionism disguised as patriotism is seeping in - sadly, we often copy the worst, as well as the best, from countries such as the USA

We are fortunate our forebears set up our current government style, checks and measures, that we enjoy ... full disclosure of financial interests, rigorous and public documentation of donations, a willingness to investigate anomalies (who spends $90/day on internet?) and discipline where necessary. It may not be perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than many overseas countries

Toon, wylie and wategos like this.
  7. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

More of a nightmare for many women, blacks, Latinos, poor people, immigrants, Muslims, etc...

Welcome to the Trump Caliphate ... the Fundamentalist Christian Taliban.

Toon, Lizzie and wylie like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Republicans happy vegimites ....looking good atm
    Been lots of wins, today was huge

Trade deal with Canada and Mexico another big win

Next rally Kansas.... growing support base

I guess We will know very soon

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Good for who exactly?

Certainly not women, immigrants, non-christians (Jews, Muslims etc), the poor/disabled/veterans, non-whites (black, Latinos etc) and non-heterosexuals (gay, bi, trans etc)

Once again the rusted on Republicans - the likes of McConnell is 76 and been in his position for nearly 40 years, or Orrin Hatch at 84 years old and in the Senate for 41 years, they have no idea what life is like in the real world - do what is best for rich, white, god-fearing, straight, men ... not what is best for the people they are supposed to serve

A sad day indeed

Last edited: 7th Oct, 2018
    luckyone, wategos, Toon and 3 others like this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

On a positive note - Mueller has lodged the paperwork to take possession of Manafort's apartment in Trump Tower ...

wylie likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How can the investigations and the comments of the politicians be separated from the victims?

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Oh That little chestnut, you need evidence to convict someone would you believe. …

13. geoffw

This thread is really about one woman. It's struck a chord with many people because of the many women who have been victims - and apparently many men who don't see that there's anything wrong with a youthful indiscretion which is later covered up.

While there are many things in our society wrong with the way men treat women, this is not the thread to cover society's faults. This is about Trump and the Kavanaugh confirmation, and matters arising directly from it.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

This thread was opened with an article referring to a third woman expected to make accusations of Kavanaugh - so clearly not just about ‘one woman!

15. geoffw

Ok, but it was straying onto the #metoo movement. That's a valid discussion in its own right, just not as a part of this thread.

16. Alain

Alain Well-Known Member

The only dirty tactics was on the democrats side using Christine Ford for their political gain.

-Feinstein received the letter in July while the FBI was still conducting the background check on Kavanaugh
    -Letter was leaked on the day (or maybe a few days, don't remember) Kavanaugh was meant to be confirmed to delay the confirmation
    - Fords lawyers (recommended and appointed by feinstein) dont even tell ford that she can give a diposition/testimony at her home which she would have preferred.

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Oct, 2018
    Orion and MTR like this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I find this far more interesting... who leaked Ford's name?

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Oct, 2018
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Oh - you and your conspiracy theories again :D:D:D

Joynz likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

This is a tweet from a Republican politican who supports Kavanaugh

In case you don't understand what he means ... prior to abortion being made legal, women were forced to resort to backyard operators who would insert an (often not clean) coat hanger. Up to 5,000 women in the US would die every year from infection, not to mention those who were rendered infertile or disabled with other complications.

This is why we don't want the likes of Kavanaugh, and his archaic views, in the Supreme Court (refer his views on Roe vs Wade).

Screenshot (605).png

Last edited: 9th Oct, 2018
    Joynz, EN710 and wylie like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Clearly his a nutter…..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.