Sports & Fitness Getting a personal trainer Again !!!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Terrychris, 4th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terrychris

Terrychris Well-Known Member

about 6 years ago I was 132kg and so went to Fitness First and hired a personal trainer.

I think back then it was about $1000 for 25 , 30 minute sessions .I went about 6o sessions

I lost 24kg in 3 months.
    The oersonal trainer was nasty but he got results .
    He made me sweat and ache and breathing was diffucult, it was pain.

It was the hardest thing i ever done , including cardio , pain, breathing , sweating even vomiting
    I have now gained again my weight only this time im older , i dont think i could put myself thru that torture again !!

It was torture , non stop boxing hitting the boxing gloves ready to go to the end of breath , nearly vomiting hitting the pads etc
    Now i need another one, nowadays they seem to want to meet you in a park though

My question is this , im now bigger than 132 kg, i have been going to the gym by myself for the last 2 weeks everyday and only lifting weights as i hate cardio .

I feel fitter but my weight is the same probaly because im more hungry .

Should i just concentrate on cardio only more than weights?
    Do u think i should get a personal trainer who is in a gym rather than meet in a park ?
    Is it normal to become mire hungrier after going to the gym ?

Ace in the Hole and Colin Rice like this.
  2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Diet would most likely be the culprit.

A good personal teainer should make it all about you and not about them.

Best to start slow and steady and build up from there. Takes 16 weeks to cut new pathways in your mind that will transalte to your physical body.

Perseverence and sticking to the plan will see you through. Make small steps on a daily basis rather that trying to do it all in a few months. If you make it a part of who you are rather than something you do I find that makes all the difference.

3. Patamea

Patamea Well-Known Member

Agree with Colin, changing your diet is the key

skater, TerryN and Colin Rice like this.
  4. Terrychris

Yes.. My diet .. Im trying to make my last meal about 530pm .

TerryN likes this.
  5. Colin Rice

Bodybuilding.com has some great free info with diets and workout routine videos galore.

It makes money on supplelement sales but all you need is a decent protien powder imo.

6. 158

158 Well-Known Member

It's what you are putting in your mouth that's the problem.....not the timing.

pinkboy

skater, Lil Skater, jins13 and 3 others like this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Agree. Despite the populist articles, it doesn't matter when you eat the calories, it's the total calories that count.

See if your gym does small group personal training. Cheaper, friendlier and less torture.

8. Terrychris

I drink a 2 litre milk a day, so i need to cut back on that.

TerryN and DaveyB like this.
  9. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

G/day Terrychris,I suppose I'm a bit like you in so far as I do carry some weight but am still going to the gym and training etc,a few days a week and also laying bricks for a living ( 63 years old which doesn't help.ha,ha)I have a smoothie every morning and just love milk although you probably have me beat there with 2 litres a day.I think when it's hard for you to increase your workload in the gym you just have to cut back on the tucker or really watch what's going in.Maybe you could commit to losing a certain amount by a certain time and other members here could prompt you here and there just to encourage you.Anyway,I hope all goes well for you in 2017.Regards Terry.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Switch to lighter milk, drink smoothies made with skim milk, weetbix, avocado (for creaminess), Greek yoghurt, honey, cinnamon, vanilla essence, banana/other fruit. Very filling.

You could replace weetbix with rolled oats soaked overnight in yoghurt & milk.

TerryN likes this.
  11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Starving yourself isn't the solution.

Read Always Hungry.

MTR likes this.
  12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

So true and I also believe in portion control over several meals a day.

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Change all your meal times around ,wake up early say to yourself this is going to be the best day of your life and start walking each morning..
    But over 132 kg is in the danger zone for your age range ,and depending on your blood sugar levels you would want to get real serious with this or as some of my mates who thought their body was there forever end up in a nursing home with one side of the body and mind not working..
    "IF" you have the time go back into the other site and read what a person who used to post about Mens Health under the name of The First Bruce-Winston Wolfe everyone of those posts about diet and the time it takes your body to burn a fast food outlet style were priceless if you read them all..

Poems - If--

Last edited: 5th Jan, 2017
    Gockie and Colin Rice like this.
  14. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

You gotta cut this out of your diet.
    2L of full fat milk is almost 1,400 calories dude.
    That's about the daily maintenance calories for an average lean woman.
    It's too easy to drink calories, and only people looking to gain weight, or athletes should be taking in considerable calories in liquid form.
    The best way to instantly drop your daily caloric intake is to switch all that milk to water, instant reduction of 1,400 calories a day, and you'll feel much better too.

Seems like that trainer was not very experienced, or did not pay enough attention to your needs.
    You don't have to even break a sweat to gain lean muscle and lose fat, it's all in the way you train.
    You do however, have to put in an effort which will push your physical boundaries, but this does not require cardio and you need to allow your body to recover between workouts, especially at your age.
    Resistance training is the way to go, start slow and progress within your limits so you don't get injured.

One more thing.
    Seems like so many people who gained weight over many years or decades want to lose it in a matter of months once they start to exercise and diet, what's with that?
    If it took 10 years to get into a certain physical condition, one should allow lenty of time to turn that around for permanent results.
    2 years would be a good target, not 3-6 months Biggest Loser style which is not sustainable and dangerous.
    Results are not linear and good progress will happen early, but you got to keep at it long term and results will continue for years on end.

Propagate, TadhgMor, devank and 7 others like this.
  15. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Fantastic post AITH. Mirror my opinion, but you put it into words.

pinkboy

Colin Rice likes this.
  16. Colin Rice

Gockie likes this.
  17. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Thanks man.
    You're the one with the results in this department, an inspiration to many.

There's always so much to learn in strength and fitness, one lifetime is not enough.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Colin, I think its not rocket science, as you mentioned heaps of info out there, the difficult part is people not doing it/sticking to a plan

MTR:)

Colin Rice likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100%

20. Colin Rice

That applies to just about everything in life including investing / wealth creation :)

The parallels are almost identical and without good health what is the point?

MTR likes this.