Getting a home loan after a separation

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Brie, 7th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brie

Brie New Member

I am really recently separated and wondering if I would be able to purchase a property to live in. I will have over a 20% deposit plus money for stamp duty and other fees. I've been in the same job for over 10 years and my income is sufficient to service a loan. I have no other debt. Credit history is excellent.

I'm just wondering if my bank statements will be an issue as until recently I've only had a joint bank account with my ex partner for the past ten years. Not sure if there's any point in applying or if I should wait until I've been running on my own bank account for 6 months to a year?

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

You'll be fine in regard to the bank statements with most lenders - it's easily explained. :)

3. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

No issues, as long as it services and just tell them upfront about the situation.

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Should be fine - most lenders won't require proof of genuine savings if borrowing less than 80% of the purchase price. In this instance - an account summary showing the current balance, date and your name will suffice (rather than three months of savings history).

In regards to transaction accounts - some banks ask for one months transaction history to track your liabilities/living expenses. In this instance - you'll just need to explain the circumstance to the lender and all should be fine.

Cheers

Jamie

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.