Get neigbour permission for stormwater connection

Discussion in 'Development' started by melbourne171, 26th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

Hi

How do you nicely ask neigbour permission for stormwater connection if service is not available on your site?
    Would you write them a letter or give them some benefits?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Usually this involves some significant amount of money being paid. I'd suggest you start up a conversation in the first instance.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  3. melbourne171

Did any one use to ask neigbour permission for stormwater connection before? Can you share your experience?

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

If you use the search option in top RH corner and use the words "neighbour stormwater" or "neighbour easement" you will find a number of threads where this has been discussed before.

melbourne171 likes this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Lots of variables. Are you building a high rise or just want the garden shed to hook in under the fence?

6. melbourne171

Hi
    I am subdividing the lot. Should I ask the neighbour consent for stormwater connection before lodging development application?

The stormwater pipes look like below. Does it mean I can connect either next door or the rear neighbour stormwater pipe?

Option 1: connect to next door stormwater pipe

connect next door stormwatet pipe.png
    Option 2: connect to rear neighbour stormwater pipe

connect the rear neighbour stormwatet pipe.png

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The fall from what I can tell is towards the front of your block to a 351 dia pipe ie the 96 dia pipes hook up with this line. Is this interpretation correct? Why aren't you able to connect to the line out the front? The neighbour's lines are only 96 dia

8. melbourne171

Thanks for reply.
    The slop toward to the rear. I cannot connect the line out the front. That 's what engineer told me.

9. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

If the drawing is reliable it may be possible to excavate in the corner of your block and 'tunnel' to the pipe.
    This will avoid disrupting your neighbours garden.
    I have seen this done several times when the pipe is less than 1m from the boundary

10. melbourne171

Is this what you mean?
    connect to stormwater pipe at my lot corner.png

11. melbourne171

Copied an old post of Rustymutt from somersoft for reference.

Brisbane stormwater connection via a neighbouring property

For Brisbane a stormwater connection via a neighbouring property requires the following documentation:

1. BCC Property owners consent or refusal - CC10835.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/cc10835_property_owners_consent_or_refusal.pdf

The neighbours can agree or refuse permission.

2. A stormwater sketch plan. This plan needs to accompany the consent form and be sighted and signed by the neighbour.

DRW Consulting will do a professional sketch plan up for around $220. It will show the proposed line so you can show the neighbours. Phone 3341 1444.

(If you gain consent attach 1 and 2 above to your development application as proof of consent for council).

3. Attach an information sheet to the sketch plan for the neighbour

Download under ''Lawful point of discharge

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/laws...ormwater-pollution-runoff-drainage-complaints

Easement question (BCC)
    Council would likely regard the line as a ''private line''.

Therefore, as far as I am aware, an easement in favour of Brisbane city council is only required where the stormwater line is designed to service more than 3 lots.

The relevant design standard is BSD8111 see details in the attached.

Connecting to council lines
    If you wish to connect to a council line or gully pit you will also require a permit.
    See http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/laws-permits/laws-permits-businesses/work-roads-footways'

Best to call council and confirm the above information.
    Good luck

12. melbourne171

Other Sommersoft valuable post: Compensation for granting easement

I have been able to obtain an Easement from a neighbour.

To me it was not what is a fair amount of compensation to me it was.

How much is this Easement worth to me?
    Will they agree to an Easement?
    How much do they want for the Easement?

In my case I had drainage issues an Easement would solve all of my problems and allowed me to go from building a single dwelling to a duplex (and the choice of a unit complex). So for me is was worth a lot.

In my case I only had 2 neighbours from where it was possible to put an Easement in.

I went to council advised I was looking at upgrading the fence line and would need to get in contact with the land owners. The council first confirmed I was the owner than gave me both postal address and names of the neighbours both were investment houses.

I sent a letter to the first neighbour and after he spoke with council with what was involved in an Easement he said yes and we both had agreed on an amount $ 2k and I would pay all expenses including his solicitor to review the contract for the Easement.

I made a mistake with my offer to the first neighbour in by offering to pay his solicitor's cost I had basically hired a guy to fight for my neighbours best interest that i was to pick up the tab for. Well naturally when the solicitor became involved the $ 2 K was not enough as well all communication had to be in the form of a letter which mean it dragged out for a couple of months. It ended when I mentioned to my neighbour that I felt his solicitor was just running up his bill and that in the contract I was bound to the payment however seeing as he has not actually signed the agreement I was not bound to the payment no more than he was bound to his original verbal offer to provide the Easement.
    Lesson learned.

Neighbour no2. Much better approach this time. I asked if he would consider an Easement which he did and would look at compensation. In this case he did not want money but an upgrade to his house. We agreed on a carport (cost came in a $2500). My offer was very clear I provide the carport he will need to sign the document giving permission for the Easement, he was welcome to have whoever he liked reveiw the paperwork but that cost was on his own back. I would pay any of his bank fees for giving the consent to the Easement and I would foot the bill for all costs in putting in the stormater pipe.

This had the desired happy outcome for both parties I had an Easement neighbour has a new carport. This I would class as a cheap Easement I have heard of Easements around my area of closer to the 5 K - 10 K and is about what I was prepared to pay.

Cheers,

Fourex.

Luke T likes this.
  13. bashworth

melbourne171 likes this.
  14. bob shovel

I'd say your pipe sizes are the 1220 375 etc
    Option 1 looks like a winner but into the man hole is also good.

You'd be able to tunnel under but this depends on council, ground conditions and the contractor you use. It is very doable, I've seen a hole 4m deep then tunnel under about 3m using a sleeve.... but you need the right guys

Also that 1220 at the rear corner may cross into your block anyway.

Before you run off to the neighbour's and scare them talk to council, civil/hydraulic engineer and a storm water/drainage contractor.
    Someone will need to stick their head in the man hole (fun job;) ) and have a looksie. Many council's are updating their mapping and is more accurate so they could tell you. The line on the map would be centre and if it's a 1220mm pipe it's probably a bee's dick into your block

Ps.i didn't read the super long post's :D

melbourne171 and Sackie like this.
  15. melbourne171

Talked to engineer, they said that the stormwater locations above is not accurate. it requires land survey for accurate locations or ask Council for a copy if it available. Where else can I find a stormwater plan for initial research?
    Also do you know where I can get a contour and detail survey for quick research?

16. melbourne171

Just talked to town planner, another option is to connect to stormwater pipe in front road. However, Council may reject because of main road.

17. bashworth

From my experience most councils drainage records leave a lot to be desired.

The only sure way is to lift manhole covers and look.

18. bob shovel

What council is it? Storm water is often neglected but by the looks of those plans and the "unknown " lines may mean they've recently updated the plans from old copies and may have surveyed the network.

You can try dial before you dig website but you'll probably just get what you already have, where did you get those?
    Do you own the block or have you been out there? What's the slope like? Slight or steep or barely noticeable? Council may knock you back for digging up their road out the front but wouldn't rule it out.

Best to call council and ask for plans with depths and if there is a survey plan or any other original plans on file for the property

19. melbourne171

Town planner just got back to me and said that that there is a shed on the neigbour's stormwater manhole. It is easier to connect to the stormwater at my house corner. Does it means that I have to build a new manhole if I want to connect to stormwater pipe. From your point of view, how much does it costs to add a new manhole? Comparing with compensate the new shed to neigbour, which option costs less?.

The stormwater diagram above is from Call before Dig (1100.com.au). I asked engineer if I can connect to the stormwater location at my block corner. Engineer told me that I can but he is not sure if the stormwater location on the diagram accurate. What he means that? Is stormwater from 1100.com.au provided by BCC Council? or Does BBC Council have other stormwater plans more accurate?

20. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

You refer to a townplanner in your first paragraph, then "engineer" is your 2nd paragraph. Are they the same person?
    You should really be speaking to a Hydraulic engineer for the stormwater issues. A Hydaulic engineer would have access to more accurate/detail connection points.

Tufan Chakir and melbourne171 like this.