Get a look at this hideous house .. needing extreme makeover advice

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by D'Mo, 16th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

That bar looks out of place and a waste of space. Demo ? Tiles dont align and looks like wall was opened up.Retile so tiles align after removal ? ..Looks like a room for nothing. May not appeal to renters ? Maybe mirrored tiled and bar demo ? Depends what function that room could add ?
    Repaint dark exposed timbers above bar too.

2. D'Mo

D'Mo Well-Known Member

Soooo damn helpful, wow !

I'm actually quite excited to have a go at doing all these, as I haven't done a 'reno' yet

I like how your ideas are very practical, thank you !

Can you PLEASE pm sparkie contacts you have in Brisbane and also, painter if possible

Really appreciate it

3. D'Mo

D'Mo Well-Known Member

The bar is really bad & looks like it has been made dodgy, using cupboards .. I looked underneath and they've used kitchen benches or something

I could knock it down and make it a study, that's probally more useful than an ugly bar

I recently found a bunch of tiles so I'm hoping I can redo the whole house .. do any of you know anyone in Brisbane that can lay tiles ?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sending PM. ;)

5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

@wylie your freshen up advice is unreal, I've been making notes!

@D'Mo Let me know if you'd like another electrician contact. My sparky is the best bloke in town. I don't really like any painters enough to recommend them though.

If you're looking at holding it for a long time, I would go through the pain of a substantial renovation- kitchen, bathroom, paint, flooring, etc. Algester is a lovely area and attracts good quality tenants so its worth presenting a nice house.

That said, I can't see anything that makes the house particularly unattractive, it's just dated. Wylie's options are about the best cost effective freshen ups you have available to you. Don't forget to really present the yard nicely- a sharply maintained yard will make an old house look dated instead of neglected. New professional photos when its all done, ready to go!

wylie likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The tiler we used for our own house is fantastic but I think he is a bit on the expensive side. But it was for our own house and we were prepared to pay a premium.

We actually found him through a tile shop. They usually have a stand with business cards for local tilers. We asked who they could recommend and they gave us a name. He was unable to help us due to an upcoming holiday but recommended someone else. He turned out to be a very good tiler and we've used him a few times now.

But I know he isn't cheap.

Why not find a local tile outlet, ask who they recommend and work from there (unless someone can give you the name of a reasonably priced tiler here on the forum).

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Beaumonts, Amber - They all have boards with tilers cards. Ask the store. They know who does good work v's exy.

ATO have some stats (2015) Tiling services - floor and wall

wylie likes this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My tiler was referred by the tile and carpet company in Moreton Bay Region. He is awesome but I doubt he would travel to Algester. You might be looking for someone who is semi-retired - mine has plenty of friends, same age group, who don't advertise. They get work by word of mouth.

9. GrimR

GrimR Member

Yeah painting is expensive, I got 3 quotes for my house (3 bedroom plus a family/4th bedrooms) and all 3 came in at $4900 without them knowing about the others quotes.

I went with quote number 4, $1500 for me to paint it my damn self, I tell you what it is ******* painful but in my case walls and ceilings need tons of preparation work (used to have those indoor/outdoor aircon jobs, now have modern split system, but you can see where they patched all the walls up etc).

If you can have a good close look at your roof, walls and trims etc and there isn't much in the way of uneven surfaces, old patch up jobs that show through paint (not properly prepared in other words), hooks or anything else that create more holes that need patching and sanding etc, then it's a looooooot easier lol.

10. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Pressure cleaning the driveway and then tint sealing it will definitely freshen up the front of the house.

Perhaps a Dark Grey or Gunmetal Grey.

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Doing a full on reno will only put you more in the red each week. IMO, it really doesn't need much.

If it was badly run down, then possibly yes, but it looks like the wet areas are reasonably new, so possibly not.

The only thing that I can see that is really bad is that bar. You could replace floor coverings & paint, if you want, but judging from the pictures they don't look all that bad....except for the relentless cream colour, but I like neutral colours for IP's. They can add colour with furnishings.

12. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Sorry Johnny comes lately.... I'm going out soon so in a hurry and can't read all posts.
    Just my two cents:
    - Do not over-capitalise, esp if you've bought at high price
    -Did you use Go Gecko? Chang to a good local pls.
    -A quick glance tells me the house is ok, so maybe the exterior or street. Feel free to give address and I'll see what I can see...