German Smear/Mortar wash/Limewash or Paint Brick

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by 3rd Drop, 5th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Render eventually cracks, never looks the same when repaired, do something with the chimney, plant tall shrubs to hide the brickwork, change the color of the roller doors to blend in with the brickwork. Plants will make a big difference... :)

wylie and 3rd Drop like this.
  2. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Garage needs a pitched roof line but thats going too far I guess.

3rd Drop likes this.
  3. 3rd Drop

3rd Drop Well-Known Member

That's great, Silverghost. I will have a visit to explore their options. Thanks.

4. 3rd Drop

WOW Brady, great suggestion on featuring the Chimney. I am going to do that for sure. It looks awesome. Thanks heaps!
    Yes, the second photo is heavily photoshoped by the REA. Not a true reflection of the colours.
    Most likely I will remove the hedge and do some landscaping in the front yard. That's already in the plan however I haven't thought of removing the brick a bit to open up the front. Will give further thought to it.

5. 3rd Drop

Hi Phar Lap, that's the Verandah. I have attached the plan as reference. Screenshot_20191115-221458_Realestate.jpg

6. 3rd Drop

Thanks balwoges. Great insights. I will think about it seriously.

7. 3rd Drop

You mean like the one below? My wife's idea. We have a plan to implement in near future.
    How about adding a front window? Screenshot_20191115-223917_Realestate.jpg

craigc likes this.
  8. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Thats it! Absolutely perfect!
    Now its a house with street appeal and dont need to change the brick colour really.
    Get the plans in now!

3rd Drop likes this.
  9. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

If money is important:
    I wouldn't touch the brick and just change a few smaller things and put the money into the inside of the house. Because looking at the inside of the house is where the real value comes in for the person living there.

If money is not important:
    Have at it.

If you plan to sell down the track:
    Sounds like a lot of money for something that may look old when you want to sell.

Cheap option:
    A small white picket fence would add contrast in a cheap way. Not saying I would do that, but in terms of contrast it would work I'd imagine. I'm sure there is something more stylish and modern you could do. Then fix the weather board parts, diff colour roller doors, reshape the hedge along with a new post box and you're all good to go at a fraction of the price.

3rd Drop likes this.
  10. 3rd Drop

Thanks, @The Gambler. Yes, money is important therefore I am giving thoughts to all these alternatives. The internals are important to me so as the external look. I know I can't really have all and get in cheaper. I will think about the white picket fence and hedges and see how it looks.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't mind the facade of the house as it is, kind of Brady Bunch or Palm Springs to my eye.

I do like the fireplace picked out in the light colour if you want to give some "wow" to the facade.

I think the worst bit is the garage itself. Perhaps wire trellis attached and cover it with a quick climbing plant? And make the doors "disappear" rather than stand out.

I wouldn't go with a picket fence for that style house. Maybe a low brick fence, or a shrubbery fence?

3rd Drop likes this.
  12. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Your house looks awesomely as is. I would do as some have suggested and put a nice white or monument fence up, and fix the front garden, maybe even colour the concrete driveway. Change the colour of the front door and it's sorted. There are so many old rendered homes these days which just don't have the character your house currently has, personally I think you will devalue the home if you do.

Joynz and wylie like this.
  13. 3rd Drop

Thanks @wylie. I am also okay with the facade, just don't like the color of the bricks. Yes, I am seriously considering changing the look of the fireplace. Something like this maybe although I have no idea of the cost.
    20191125_193430.jpg
    Yeah, I would change the color of the garage door matching with the surroundings i.e., so it disappears or keeps the house character. Thanks again.

Westminster and wylie like this.
  14. 3rd Drop

Thanks @Barny. Very good and thoughtful insights. I am inspired. Yes, I want to keep the house character but at the same time I want to change the street appeal and look. Now, I will be giving more thoughts to front landscaping/gardening rather than rendering/painting the brick wall. Cleaning and coloring the driveway, garage door and front door is on the table too. Appreciate more ideas!