George Pell has been aquitted

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Peter_Tersteeg, 7th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.

HUGH72, thatbum and Shogun like this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Especially if I am the innocent one to suffer ...

3. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

A good thing to keep in mind is that not guilty does not necessarily mean innocent. For better or for worse not everything is able to be tendered at trial and us as the public are bot privy to all the information. Any historical sex offense complaint is going to be an uphill battle for police and prosecution’s. If he did commit the offenses, regardless he has served a period of actual imprisonment.

The church does have a good property portfolio:
    Catholic Inc: What the Church is really worth

4. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

But if the church could legally and was to sell Cabrini and St Vincent's hospitals for $388m who benefits? Either they go to a private sector hospital chain which has to make its investment deliver and we all pay a bit more in PHI or [theoretically, not serious] they are bought by developers and the state hospital capacity is decreased. I'm a little surprised at the $95m value put on Xavier College; given its huge site I would have thought it worth a lot more than that - though heritage is the ultimate value destroyer.

That said, I presume that each of these properties is owned by a separate legal entity (e.g Xavier School Trust or whatever) and I would suggest that we would be on very dangerous ground to suggest that one legal entity could be held liable for another's debts when those entities have not been set up with the intention of evading liability. That's why the concept of limited companies came about centuries ago.

5. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Well, if a person is a paedophile, it's somewhat of a logical conclusion to join the catholic church. If you rape a child, you're extremely unlikely to be convicted.
    A read quite a while ago (so I can't remember the details) that the church has MANY times the percentage of paedophiles as the general population.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Only if you were Catholic to begin with ;-)

My point earlier in the thread was that you'd join an organisation where you could be in contact with youths. Your point is valid too - you'd join an organisation which would protect you, and unfortunately, there are many organisations. Churches are amongst them, but are not unique.

Angel likes this.
  7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

And how come Pell was able to drive to Sydney during lockdown

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

He's living in Sydney. Not unreasonable.

Terry_w likes this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Because he couldn't find any flights?

10. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

What about op shops and Tank World ? Tank World have an unfair advantage ,can sell water tanks way below competitors the only way they can do this is because of the tax exemptions they get by being owned and ran by I think Seven Day Adventist .

Terry_w likes this.
  11. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Probably a good outcome for the law. Not sure if it’s for justice... don’t have a strong view if he really did it or not. But the whole courtcase was poorly sensationalised by the media and the jury unduly influenced by many years of church bashing (no I don’t go to church)

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.