General Advise needed - Blinds and Air cond

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Curtishulk, 4th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Curtishulk

Curtishulk Member

Hi All

We are about to move into a two story townhouse.. in the Melbourne eastern suburb
    what do you think about diy blinds - they are economically priced but not sure about the quality and hassle..
    Also for Air cond anyone had experiences with Ezy air?

I am also after replacing the existing old cabinet shelvings with melamine boards (not sure where to get them)

Thanks!

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Blinds will depend on if windows are standard, the type and your skills at doing handy type work....

I can do most everything, but have not done blinds at home on any I bought from memory.

Cabinets will also depend on sizes, your prob going to need to cut them to fit. I have only ever done full kitchen or covered existing.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Blinds are easy enough - Spotlight has various qualities of blinds (cheapies with plastic chain to good double rollers/privacy & sunblock with steel chain).

Install brackets, measure and cut blinds to size.

4. Curtishulk

Curtishulk Member

Thanks all! appreciate the help and comments

5. Curtishulk

Curtishulk Member

Anyone here had any experiences with blindsonline? thanks

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Blinds are easy to install - as long as they fit the window sizes.

You can buy melamine for shelves from various places. Is your kitchen Ikea? Because I have several unused shelves for Ikea cabinets.

Attached Files:

7. Curtishulk

Curtishulk Member

Thanks.. They are not from Ikea .. thank you so much for offering!

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Bunnings has melamine in various sizes (they can even cut to length for you) or get a cabinet maker.

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I’ve installed roller blinds and vertical blinds.

This time around I had about 10 blinds to do. I used no bull blinds and the cost difference was about 7% more than diy

10. ChipDIY

ChipDIY Member

Hey Curtishulk, installing the blinds should be easy enough if you are even a little bit handy.

There are a lot of options out there, like spotlight and bunnings as well as some online retailers. If you are looking at ready made blinds, just something cheap and temporary, then spotlight and bunnings are your best bet.

However, if you are after something that's got to look good and fit well, you better get custom blinds. You would be surprised that online prices might even match readymade prices from spotlight and bunnings. Quality will be better for sure as custom is always better than ready made. My friend got good quality ones from ozbinds but as I said there are a few options out there.