General advice on how to navigate the strata approvals process?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Melina, 4th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Melina

Melina New Member

Hi there,

My name is Melina & I'm a first time poster here - really hoping to get some advice as I have never owned property before and I'm very confused about how things are supposed to work with strata.

I originally purchased a property as an investment but would now like to move in and renovate it a little. I am interested in installing some hybrid flooring in the living area, however I understand from research online that this is often a bit of a contentious topic. Also, my previous property manager used to complain about the strata company all the time and say that they were extremely unhelpful, so I am conscious that I want to get off on the right foot with the strata company and follow the correct process.

I asked the strata manager last year about the process for approvals, and he gave a very short reply that I just need to send through a quote and allow at least 2 months. So I did this, but received no reply, or even an acknowledgement of my email. I followed up after 4 weeks to check that the process had started, and again no reply. I eventually contacted someone else at the company who said there was paperwork I needed to fill in first (which he had not provided me with) - also, they said that I would also need to provide additional information, including insurance from the company and a copy of the installers licence. They also said the next meeting is not until September. So basically the process had not started at all, he was just ignoring me.

I've contacted the flooring company but they will not give me the licence of the installer, as they are a contractor and they don't even know which contractor would be appointed to the job ahead of time - apparently they have never been asked this before and don't think I should need to provide this to strata. I am now worried about submitting something officially and having to wait months for a reply only to have it rejected. Is it an unreasonable request the company for a licence? Should I just try another company, or will I have trouble getting this information at any flooring company?

Also, the paperwork made some vague mention that I can ask for an unscheduled meeting of the owners corp to occur, but that a 'schedule of fees' would apply. The 'schedule' lists things like costs for preparing an agenda, time with the strata manager charged in 6 minute increments, processing fees etc, but the fees are all blanks, as though someone will just write them in later. Apparently it is according to the 'management agreement'? I don't even know what that is or where I could get it.

I previously asked for a copy of the by-laws (a couple of times) and they have just ignored my messages, so I doubt I will get anywhere asking about the fees. I am kind of at a loss as to what to do now.

Is it expensive to try and schedule a strata meeting? Is it reasonable to request the trades persons licence? Is it normal for strata to provide vague information and then just ignore emails?

Any advice would really be appreciated, especially with regards to the flooring situation!

Thanks very much in advance
    Melina

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I would check your bylaws first because it might not even require strata approval. How come you didn't get a copy when you bought the place?

3. Melina

Melina New Member

Hi, thanks for your reply - I did get some back then, but it was 2 years ago and I wanted to know if they had been updated since.

In the old by-laws there were a couple of sections which seemed relevant, but they didn't seem to clearly say anything about whether it would need approval?

=====================
    Special By-Law No 20 - Floor Coverings

(1) An owner of a lot must ensure that all floor space within the lot is covered or otherwise treated to an extent sufficient to prevent the transmission from the floor space of noise likely to disturb the peaceful enjoyment of the owner or occupier of another lot.

(2) This by-law does not apply to floor space comprising a kitchen, laundry, lavatory or bathroom.

=====================
    "“Works” means the minor renovation works for the purposes of section 110 of
    the Act including, but not limited to, the following types of works:

(iii) installing or replacing hard wood floors and/or removing carpet or other
    soft floor coverings to expose underlying wooden or other hard floors;

but does not include works which involve structural changes, the movement or
    relocation of plumbing, the removal and replacement of floor or wall tiles,
    changes to the external appearance of a lot, waterproofing or replacement of
    waterproof membranes.
    ======================

There also appears to be a separate section in relation to one particular apartment who must have previously installed hard flooring - however this section only applies to them as it mentions their unit number and even the brand of flooring they had installed. Would I also be required to have special by-laws written up to get my works done?

Thanks again for your reply