Gender, and perceived ownership of property

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by KayTea, 4th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

The problem with hipages from a tradies point of view is you have to pay for the lead, you take the time to quote, you're quoting against 3 others who want the job and normally in that group there is some cowboy or someone desperate who will do it too cheap.

On top of that there is sooo many people who want you to come out and have a look and your expertise (often taking a couple of hours) then when they receive the quote don't want to spend that much and don't go through with the job or get someone else to do it cheaper now that they know how to tackle the problem.

wylie and CowPat like this.
  2. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

WTF
    a "cowboy" is a - unqualified person performing a job (to a low standard ) they are not trained to do .

for small operators , reputation is for work completed to a standard that will see the test of time , for loyal customers

free quotes for strangers , are at the bottom of the to-do list of competent tradespeople . they don't need your work

Phar Lap and wylie like this.
  3. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

Good luck at the rodeo.

4. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

chylld likes this.
  5. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

We had a leaking pipe in our PPOR a few months back and I got the name of a plumber from a colleague who I then called for a quote. He had a look and said that it would be 2k (required the hire of an excavator too) and said he'll email a quote later that day. The quote was something like $2950 which is really 3k to most people. I was a bit annoyed so thought I'd get another quote to compare. This came in at $1500 which I thought was fine. I decided to get a final quote out of curiousity and it ended up being $800. I went with this one and now know who I'll be using in the future :p

Bunbury, Gockie and wylie like this.
  6. Smuh5

Smuh5 Active Member

Oh god! That is not good to hear. It seems the stereotypes are changing but VERY slowly. There is lots of discussion, but sadly instead of attempting to sympathise with the issue many people go on the defence. An issue like this cannot be resolved unless individuals are willing to be empathetic and sympathetic.

Joynz, KayTea and Kassy like this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.