Gender, and perceived ownership of property

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by KayTea, 4th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

At a network meeting recently an old man saw my badge with the name “Alexa” and told me that he had met my boss.
    I told him I’m self employed don’t have a boss. Then he said “you know the owner of the business” I told him I’m the licensed agent on my business.
    He then said “ok your business partner then”

He meant my husband Lol

It must be so embarrassing to be stuck in such a narrow minded false perception of the world - I actually felt sorry for him :(

Phantom, Toon, KayTea and 3 others like this.
  2. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

I've had a bit of a laugh reading through this and all the different views.

As a tradie I've been in this situation many times and I think there's a good chance I would've replied to my boss in a similar way. Stating that the wife or women was home, I know there's people that think that's sexist and depending on tone it could be, but the reality is that 90% of the time the details have been discussed with the husband.

If he has been talking about the job to the wife/female owner he would respond with "no dramas she's the one organising it" but it saves him knocking on the front door and having spend half an hour discussing something he's already discussed with the other half.

I find stereotyping funny in general, the amount of times I've had tenants assume I'm just a tradie that the landlord has organised is hilarious, I sometimes correct them but if it plays into my hands I let them think that and tell them to direct any further works onto the realestate to pass on (otherwise some expect a full Reno).
    My favourite was when I was in the front yard of one of my places waiting to give the keys to the agent for an open she said explained that she had to go and get the keys from the owner and to just wait there until they were ready... she was a bit embarrassed when I pulled the keys out of my pocket

I think everyone gets stereotyped, I just try to make it work to my advantage

3. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

That kind of sexism is a class marker.

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sometimes i'd go and fix things at my IPs - and yep, I'm female. I do smallish handywoman things like replace rollers for the showerscreen door or shed, replace window winders or doorknobs (I do a much better job than my dad on this) and get the sliding door to the outside going smoothly etc. I think my tenants are no longer surprised if I do it, but they do have good respect for me (and the mother... she makes me dinner afterwards! Win-win :))

One time the dryer at the airbnb stopped working. I organised to replace it, but apparently the delivery service wouldn't take the old one off the wall. Anyway, so I had to take the dryer off the wall. No biggie. Tenant (male airbnb guest from somewhere like Malaysia) was extremely amazed when I did it like it was no issue at all (& to be honest, dryers are light)...

I like doing hands on type work. Making things work. Satisfying.

Toon and Kassy like this.
  5. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

o_O soooo... you waste 4 peoples time and that's not a problem ?

6. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

7. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Had countless tradies through my house for landscaping kitchen etc and only once has my wife been asked if her husband is home. She said he is, but she's the boss (her landscaping project). Tradie apologised and continued working with her just fine.

No offense intended or taken, never thought about it again until this thread.

Phar Lap likes this.
  8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I always get at least three quotes for any work we are about to approve, especially for any major expenditure.

Recently, I obtained three quotes to remove an old fence/install a new one. Quotes ranged for $3,500 to $6,000. I decided I better get a fourth quote which we are waiting on.

Any ‘smart’ tradie knows that quoting is a cost of doing business and build it into their rates. Same process applies to wet weather.

freyja and Joynz like this.
  9. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

You had your kitchen landscaped ???

10. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

SOO13-outdoor-stone-grill-area-bar-cabinetry.jpg

11. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Next time, try wearing a shirt Ace :)

12. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

It works to my advantage, dress like a dag at the open inspections I get ignored, it suits me fine. This way I find out who the really good agents are, the good agents seek you out.

I have bought a few houses without my husband even seeing them. It can work the other way, Some of the tenants in the past have referred to my husband as "the owners boyfriend". It suits me to be invisible. And sometimes it suits my husband to be invisible.

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps she called five tradies to try to get quotes and none of them even called her back to arrange a quote. That is fairly common. I didn't read this as being that she wasted the time of five tradies.

I generally don't call for quotes because we have our trusted tradies and we just call them. But if I was looking for a new tradie, I'd try to find one who came recommended to me, and maybe just ask for two quotes. Generally, I'd be happy if the quotes came in near to what I'd expect to pay for the job (from past experience).

If the quotes were hugely different, I'd look to get a third to gauge what was going on.

Chris Au and Kassy like this.
  14. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

exactly
    Never deprioritize a loyal customer to chase other work

why dosnt a trades person call you back
    " they have vetted your call and you're probably not worth it "

15. Bunbury

Is this code for being 'unprofessional'?

16. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I remember going to an auction when I was 18 with my now husband (he was 24 at the time). I was the one looking and James was just along for the ride, male agent maybe around 45 came up and introduced himself to James, telling him about the property etc. Anyway, agent finally asks if he's interested in purchasing and his response "not for me mate, talk to her".

This guy had spent a good 5 minutes doing his spiel to James and flat out ignoring me. Needless to say I told him to go jump.

Real estate is quite male dominated, but most people expect a female PM. I do get a lot of surprised reactions when I say I'm the business owner and from time to time I will get calls from other companies who want to discuss matters with the "licensee in charge"... Apparently that can't possibly be me and it's too hard to Google a company before you try to sell them something :rolleyes:

wylie, Kassy and EN710 like this.
  17. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

NO ..... its code for being profitable

time is money , you only get paid for completed work

only people who don't work , don't understand , Kapeesh?

18. Bunbury

Yes, the ways of the cowboy are mysterious to the untrained eye.

Cowboys don't understand that they are running a business and reputation counts, especially for small operators. Capisce?

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Last time I needed a small metre of so of barge rotten barge board replaced and some steps repaired (not a new set of steps, just repair), I put it up on HiPages. I heard nothing.

I had a "how did you go?" message and said I'd not heard from anyone. Then I was told "XYZ builder will call you to quote the job" and I heard nothing at all.

This little job probably was a PITA but was a bit too complicated for a handyman and required ladders to get to second story barge board (or scaffold - which was on site as we were having this house painted).

So I get the frustration of having a builder say he will call or visit to quote, and then *sound of crickets*...

20. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

yes good tradespeople are hard to find
    when you find a good one look after them , treat them well, take an interest in their work and pay straight away .

They probably have a good infrastructure of like minded tradies to recommend as well

Phar Lap likes this.