Gem Stones..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 3rd Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just wondering ,has anyone ever had Australian Sapphires cut in Thailand as opposed to having the stones cut in Australia..

I was up at a place called Tomahawk Creek a few months back about 30klms from Rubyvale in central Qld in a permit fossicking isolated bring everything in no phone isolated bush camp..

Found about 50 sapphires maybe 310 carats in weight when I dug the old diggings out over 6 days very hard work,there are only about ten that Australian cutters will quote on and cut the rest are just too small ,and they just said ,if I wanted the lot cut Thailand would be the best place..

2. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Once they are cut what will you do with them?
    Start with he end in mind,( business):cool:
    or make pretty things!(fun):D

willair likes this.
  3. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

willair likes this.
  4. therealAusting

therealAusting Well-Known Member

If they are good quality stones my guess is that you would have them swapped for poorer quality stones (at best).
    Although not exactly your situation do a Google search on gemstone fraud in Thailand. That industry seems fraught with danger.

willair likes this.
  5. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Rubyvale is where I found a few too, back in 1995 when I went on a trip with my dad :). Such an amazing experience :).

willair likes this.
  6. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I used Lambert a few years back, all went well, fast and honest was my experience with them. The one larger Sapphire I had was cut here (Glen Innes) and the others (only about 10 small ones) were sent over there.

willair likes this.
  7. willair

Thanks for all the help,an old gentleman that I meet that had been there 35 years while I was there by myself there said the same thing about Lambert's in Thailand ,and this Man had some yellow Sapphires as long as my small finger..So Lamberts it is..

What I intend to do is as I,m not in it for any money..Just get the stones cut -buy 9ct gold blank rings -set them and give them all away to my Wife Daughters and Family on Christmas day as it's out turn this year to put the bbq plate on and empty the beer fridge..

That's what I like about this site ,the widespread experience ..Thanks..

Handyandy likes this.
  8. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

9. willair

No I only went through Rubyvale never went to the pub..The person I talked too a few times at tomahawk creek had been there a long time ,I think he had a camp set-up but they bulldozed his and several other a while back ,most moved on he just stayed ,and I don't think he would fit in a city..

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  10. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I would personally try Jeff White in the US. I haven't used him but have read good reviews and he's pretty well known.I would be wary of being scammed by a Thai business. Also get 14 karat gold at least, not 9 - that's an Aussie scam :p

Last edited: 4th Oct, 2018
    willair likes this.
  11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Call the gemshack in gladstone. never dealt with them but you dont see many gem places around and their shop is a little different being in the middle of a carpark
    The Gem Shack - Jewellery By Design

willair likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.