VIC Geelong

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Amber83, 16th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

I'm a relative newcomer to Geelong (17 years :D) but from what I understand, whatever side of the river you grew up on, you don't go to the other side. I'm guessing @Geelong_Chris grew up north of the river.

Geelong_Chris likes this.
  2. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Very true, guess which side of the river I live on?

3. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Could be a bit of truth to that...I've lived in Norlane, Newcomb, Bell Park, Geelong North, Geelong West, Newcomb and then Norlane again.....where i bought my first place almost 7 years ago. Haven't lived South of the river yet!

Then again a mate of mine swears by 3216, and after batching with me for a few years in Norlane, he couldn't get back over the other side of the river quick enough. I still reckon though that whilst Norlane and Corios' population hasn't altered much in recent years, the continual expansion of housing estates south of the river has well and truly enveloped the existing road infrastructure that side of town. Hence, on the North side, the traffic is pretty easy, and Pioneer Rd and environs..a different kettle of fish.

It may simply be that the only really new estates in Geelong on the North side are in Lara, whereas Armstrong Creek, the development of Highton between Scenic Rd and the Ring Road, Waurn Ponds and even Leopold see the bulk of new arrivals probably looking there.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  4. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

Have to be south, then! ;) I'm a 3216-er, myself. Lived in Malop St (sharing) when I first moved down, then rented in Balliang St (just off Moorabool), bought in Belmont, now bought Wandana Heights. :D

Most recent IP was in Belmont, spitting distance from our old PPOR, but we also have an IP in Bell Post Hill.

Geelong_Chris likes this.
  5. Beelzebub

Having worked in Melbourne and even Werribee, the concept of anywhere in Geelong having bad traffic is amusing. Drive down Queens Rd at peak hour trying to get to the Westst Gate... Horrible. Did that for 6 months or so.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  6. Dave3214

Having driven taxis in Geelong from '99 to 2011, there's no question that the council has over the years made it worse, especially in the CBD by reducing roads like Malop St, Myers St and Eastern Beach Rd to single lanes, and that ghastly set of lights that replaced the roundabout at the corner of Gheringhap and Malop Sts.

I honestly couldn't handle Melbourne's traffic at all, hearing on the news even when i'm doing my deliveries before 6am that the Westgate is slow, or the Monash freeway is crawling, it's times like this that my 5-10 minute commute to work and back is much appreciated.

Obviously many people rate the attractions of a capital city more highly than the annoyance of a 60-90 minute commute each way to work, but i wonder if one day that will just keep getting worse and worse with Melbourne and Sydney growing so much? Large regional areas might start to look a good alternative when you could be working locally and having maybe two hours a day more for yourself and family.

7. Geelong_Chris

Geelong_Chris Member

I like Belmont and old Highton, but I don't personally like Wandana Heights and especially dislike Armstrong Creek. I don't like new suburbs and don't like anything more than a few Km's from the CBD.

Dave3214 likes this.
  8. Geelong_Chris

Geelong_Chris Member

Spot on mate! I'm a Northerner.

Dave3214 likes this.
  9. MondeoMan

MondeoMan Well-Known Member

Hey does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of the different estates that are going up in Armstrong Creek. Armstrong (villawood) v Warralily v Watermarc v Ashbury

Obviously villawood is more advanced, I drove though last weekend on the way down to the coast and noticed that the sporting fields are close to being build, lands been cleared and the flood lights have gone in.

I have seen someone mention they thought Watermarc had too many investors purchasing, how do you find this out?

10. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

11. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

12. Kelstan2009

Kelstan2009 Member

Hey guys,
    What's your thoughts on Portarlington/Indented Head as an I.P for growth?.. still seem able to get something decent?

Even H&L in Indented Head?

13. Beelzebub

I once lived there, and still go there every now and then. I have noticed that Portarlington has had a mini economic boom in the last few years. There has been a Safeway and petrol station built, the Safe Harbour Project, the introduction of the ferry service to Melbourne and the Drysdale bypass is in the development stage.

I have also noticed many of the vacant blocks being built on with houses or small town house developments in the last several years

There are also some houses around, reasonably priced, with some amazing views or within walking distance to the beach.

I don't think you would lose money investing there.

I wouldn't do a H&L in Indented Head, too far away from any services and way too much land.

And all this being said, I'd still be spending my money in Geelong as a safer investment with better long term prospects.

Kelstan2009 likes this.
  14. Beelzebub

Warralilly BH side. It's slightly cheaper than Coast Side, but all the services in the short to medium term seem to be planned for BH side. The shops are already half built, sports ground and primary school is on the way, with a high school planned to move out there in 2020.

15. fuudrizzle

fuudrizzle Active Member

Geelong seems pretty good at the moment especially with the stamp duty concessions for first home owners coming up, was just wandering if anyone had any BA recommendations for the area. Thanks!

16. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Possibly good for those selling in Geelong as it gives FHB more in their pockets, but not sure if it gives investors a better chance in Geelong compared to previous times? I've possibly missed something here?

As @MTR and others say, look at the bigger market drivers and market sentiment to determine what markets to enter/exit and when.

17. TheGreenLeaf

TheGreenLeaf Well-Known Member

I bought in Geelong last year in June thru @JacM and she did a good job. Have a chat with her.

ellejay likes this.
  18. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

+1 for Jacqui. Had a great result with her.

19. Dave3214

This house here has set new price boundaries i feel for Newcomb, and it seems like the spillover from already gentrified East Geelong has started to cross Boundary Rd.

1 Cheltenham Road Newcomb Vic 3219 - House for Sale #124687986 - realestate.com.au

This sold for $520K at auction yesterday, a massive price for Newcomb, and certainly while this place is fully renovated, it's more akin to East Geelong's prices. To be honest i can see why, as houses in Myers St including a modern townhouse at 391 Myers sold for $600K a few months ago, and that place is only a few hundred metres from Newcomb, but there had been a massive demarcation of prices on the 'other' side of Boundary Rd, where East ends and Newcomb starts. Good for my mother too, she lives at the start of another street near the cemetery and i reckon Newcomb could well take off, given it's only 3 k's to Geelong and close to two major shopping centres and several schools, plus has two bus routes to the city. And of course, just a couple of k's to Garden St's shops too.

LukeR likes this.
  20. saanch

saanch New Member

Anyone have a recommendation for an architect/town planner in the North Geelong area?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.