VIC Geelong

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Amber83, 16th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

What does your research indicate? FWIW, (IMO) there's "new Grovedale" and "old Grovedale" and also "new Marshall" and "old Marshall". What are you looking for? H&L, new/near new, fixer-upper? All are available in those areas. Prices vary quite widely accordingly. What I call "new Grovedale" is almost Waurn Ponds and there's a new station there, too. Waurn Ponds generally has newer properties, so again, it depends on what you're looking for.

2. nishasingh3

nishasingh3 Member

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I am interested in houses around (5-10 yrs).

I want to be close to the station, preferably walking distance. I am with the thought that having a house close to the rail station (not too close) has its advantages while selling. I might be totally wrong as this is my first ever home purchase.

I want to purchase in an area with decent growth in 5 yrs so really deciding on buying in a 'better part' of Marshall or Grovedale.

As I need to travel to Melbourne CBD I am looking to be close to the station. On a side note I really liked the feel of Lara but with loads of lands available and avalon Airport expansion I don't know how it effects future prospects.

To make myself clear in types of houses I am interested,

Marshall
    11 Alan Street Grovedale Vic 3216 11 Alan Street Grovedale Vic 3216 - House for Sale #124142774 - realestate.com.au

3 Minka Court Marshall Vic 3216 3 Minka Court Marshall Vic 3216 - House for Sale #124045302 - realestate.com.au

Lara
    24 Brunel Close Lara Vic 3212 24 Brunel Close Lara Vic 3212 - House for Sale #124180210 - realestate.com.au

3. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Some people say, Geelong is growing towards east (Newcomb) and south(Belmont). To me, Norlane and Corio has also potentials, as they are closer to Melbourne side. What do you guys think if there is a chance, any chance at all, that Corio towards Lara will connect with Werribee? Any local knowledge around this speculation is welcome!

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

What did you mean Corio connects with Werribee? @Dave3214 help?

5. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

With Lara, maybe. With Werribee, not in our life time and probably never.
    Two reasons.
    1. Town planning. There will always be a desire tohave a break between Melbourne and Geelong
    2. The growth towards Geelong diminishes as the circle grows. e.g. draw a circle surrounded by multiple rings with equal distance apart. You will find that each outer ring has a much larger area.

wobbycarly likes this.
  6. Ko Ko Naing

The same would be thought about Dandenong in 60's. It was another regional city back then and made part of Melbourne later on. Now the suburbs between Dandenong and Melbourne have gone too far in terms of growth.

Given the fact that Geelong itself is so close to the most outer fringe of Melbourne, which is Werribee, I'm just wondering who knows what the future holds. But currently they are just plain farm land or non-urban areas, where living creatures rarely exist.

7. wobbycarly

Add Berwick, Cranbourne, Frankston to that list. And there is a lot of flat land (read: easy on which to build) between Werribee and Geelong (except for trash mountain.)

8. Beelzebub

See point two: the 20-25km ring around the CBD occupies a much smaller area than the same 25-30km ring and so on as you go further out. Melbourne and Geelong will never join. Doubling Melbourne's population for example wont double its geographic area and if Melbourne's geographic area were to double that won't mean that the outer suburbs end twice as far out as they currently are.

In any event Wyndham is expanding South and North. It won't go further West by much. Geelong is expanding to the South also. They're growing in the opposite direction.

strongy1986 and MikeyBallarat like this.
  9. Ko Ko Naing

Agree with this. It looks like Norlane/Corio's growth will be limited, despite the hype around it on media with Chinese investors flooding into those suburbs.

Do you reckon Whittington has even more potential, compared to Norlane and Corio? Based on my experience on the ground driving around, they are pretty much on par in terms of stigma and reputation.

10. Beelzebub

If you're looking at Whittington avoid Solar Drive and all the courts on that street. Or at least be aware that the street has the worst reputation in Geelong. And yes, I'd say they are more or less on par. But that street stands out in terms of stigma I think.

If you're looking at that area I'd consider Newcomb on the other side of the Hwy.

As for the growth of Corio/Norlane, land releases would mean more supply which will limit price growth rather than encourage it.

11. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

The You Yangs and Avalon Airport will always be a kind of barrier between Geelong and Melbourne's outer West, but it may be that industrial growth around the ring road precinct might fence Corio's Northern boundaries i feel. There's a lot of new land releases for business use around Heales Road and the Ring Road precinct, which naturally is a pretty handy place to have a logistics company or distribution centre. Indeed even on the North side of Plantation Rd West of Bacchus Marsh Rd, it's just a large fairly vacant area that's been like that for the best part of 30 years.

I will admit i find it befuddling though that people buy in Armstrong Creek and even on the Bellarine Peninsular or even the Surf coast, only to commute to Melbourne anyway. It makes for a minimum 65-70 minute trip by car, and that could stretch to God knows how long with Melbourne's burgeoning traffic. Corio and Norlane are at least only 50-55 minutes usually, and it's also close to established infrastructure rather than the 'future this, future that' of those new developments South of the river in Geelong. Maybe the investor interest is simply because when it's all said and done, Norlane and Corio offer a lot of convenience (as i enjoy daily) to Geelong in particular, and at a good return on investment. If anyone's tried crossing the Shannon Ave bridge, or waited to try and negotiate the Breakwater crossing, or been on the congested traffic along Settlement Rd in the morning and afternoon peaks, you'll see why the North is often a nice quick alternative. I am hoping that reality kicks in one day, as it's very busy in Geelong's South now and meanwhile very few new developments have happened in the North. I still reckon the closer proximity to Melbourne (and Werribee) will help the Northern suburbs in the future. Put it this way, i'll only be moving out of my place horizontally.

12. BigL

BigL Active Member

What areas would people recommend for renovating in the sub $350k price range? Looking to live in and fix up over about a year and then rent out for a couple years with maybe a total hold period of 3-4 years.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

13. wobbycarly

Belmont south of Colac Rd, Grovedale. Virtually all of the northern suburbs (Bell Post Hill, Bell Park, Norlane, North Geelong). There are plenty of options in that budget.

Dave3214 likes this.
  14. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Try a triple fronted home in the Bell suburbs or the Osborne/Giddings/Walsgott st area of North Geelong :)

Dave3214 likes this.
  15. BigL

BigL Active Member

Any reasons for why North Geelong region would be better than say the Newcomb/Thomson area over the next 3-4 years?

I'm not a local so not aware of most of the stigmas attached to areas.

16. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Bell Park, Bell Post Hill, Norlane West and North Geelong are seen as wog areas - neat and tidy homes, mainly older owner occupiers, plenty of first generation European migrants around (in particular a thriving Croatian community). The homes are predominantly the cream brick triple fronted style, with a smattering of 50s/60s weatherboards thrown in. No negative stigma to speak of, and the locals are well aware of the distinction between Norlane (east of Thompson Rd) and Norlane West.

Thomson/Newcomb are slightly different in they have more (ex) commission housing - this may or may not matter to you. The location is nice and central, particularly in the case of Thomson, and there are some beautiful period homes nestled amongst the commission homes. These areas do carry a stigma to some degree, and people that I know who live in Thomson usually state that they live in East Geelong. Thomson is growing though, with even weatherboard ex commission homes going for high 3s/low 4s. As for Newcomb, the prevailing local view is that closer to Portarlington Rd is the nicer area.

As for where I would park myself - probably the former areas.

Dalts, Dave3214, BigL and 2 others like this.
  17. Beelzebub

I think you could come up with reasons to justify one over the other. You could talk about gentrification and the possible development of the salt works or the closure of Alcoa for Newcomb or its proximity to Geelong CBD. You could discuss proximity to Hwy and Melbourne for the Northern areas of Geelong. But at the end of the day they're both in Geelong, both influenced by similar growth drivers and really, as to which would perform better out of the two in the long term is a toss of the coin.

I'd be looking at all those areas and going with the area in which the better deal appears. I'd also add the southern part of Belmont to that list.

MikeyBallarat, wobbycarly and BigL like this.
  18. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

Bought my first property in Belmont.

Will hold for a while, either developer and keep existing or demolish and build 2 more.. still undecided as of yet.

Will keep my eye on this forum

Toon and larrylarry like this.
  19. Geelong_Chris

Geelong_Chris Member

Don't forget Hamlyn Heights, I picked up a total dump on 500sqms for $200k in the last year, deceased estate that needs/needed a load of work, well worth it.

Personally I wouldn't go on the other side of the river, no particular reason other than I don't like the areas south of the Barwon river.

Dave3214 likes this.
  20. Beelzebub

Really? Highton and Belmont are quote good suburbs. Also, Wandana Heights has some stunning houses. You also have Waurn Ponds which has shown some solid growth recently.

Armstrong Creek is also promising

Geelong_Chris and MikeyBallarat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.