VIC Geelong

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Amber83, 16th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Lions4Eva likes this.
  2. Lions4Eva

Lions4Eva Well-Known Member

Is Solar Drive still an area to avoid? I remember asking the question 3-4 months ago, but wondering if the signs are getting better.

3. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

35 Townsend is a main road, a very busy road at peak times given the volume of traffic that uses the Breakwater bridge, but i guess by capital city standards it's nothing exceptional. It's purely residential at this section, and you are in perhaps the better section of Whittington here. There was a block, i think 43 that sold about a year ago for a very cheap price given the land size, so it could be a bit of a bargain in terms of what sub-dividing it might furnish.

43 Townsend Road, Whittington, Vic 3219 - Property Details

There's a kinder/child care centre nearby too.

As far as Solar Drive goes Lions, probably still the odd feral around, i think more so in some of the courts. It's a long circular road, and the areas nearest the Coppards Rd entrance are sort of nicer and more privately owned than some of the ones near the grounds of the primary school. One thing i guess is that it's still relatively close to Geelong, only about 4 k's to the CBD, indeed closer than a lot of Belmont and the Southern areas, and about the same as say Herne Hill on the other side of the city. Being close to Newcomb's two shopping centres too, it's in a convenient location. Just have to watch out who the neighbors might be i guess!

Lions4Eva likes this.
  4. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Question for the sceptics... if Melbourne's growth cycle were to run out of puff tomorrow, how long before Geelong does the same? Is any of the recent growth unrelated to Melbourne (aside from incidental growth from FOMO)?

adam duckworth likes this.
  5. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

6-9 months.
    No. If investors can find value in Werribee (proxy for Melbourne) they will not go to Geelong. PPOR/Life-style is a different story.

Tranquilo and Davothegreat like this.
  6. Dave3214

Might be perhaps a promise, but if this comes true it will be a fillip for the Geelong region.

Nocookies

I have no issues with paywalls etc for the Oz, but here's a copy/paste of this article anyway.

The Victorian government has continued its focus on building out the state’s regional tech capabilities, announcing a global innovation centre in Geelong, in partnership with listed software firm LiveTiles.

Victorian premier Daniel Andrews joined the minister for trade and investment Philip Dalidakis along with LiveTiles founders Karl Redenbach and Peter Nguyen-Brown to announce the centre, which will see 500 new jobs created in the state.

LiveTiles (LVT) boss Karl Redenbach said under the agreement, his company will establish its Asia-Pacific headquarters and a Global Innovation Centre in the city of Geelong during FY18, with that centre to focus on digital marketing, lead generation, customer success and technical support.

“We’ve been very lucky in our business. We’re now one of the fastest growing Software-as-a-service companies ever, at our age. Last financial year, we grew at 300 per cent,” he said on Thursday.

“The way that we think the future of work is going is people will want to have the beach and the sun, that’s something we think is very unique to Geelong as a regional centre.”

“We’ve had success building a location in Hobart, when everyone said it couldn’t be done, well we did it and we’re doing it again in Geelong.”

Premier Daniel Andrews said his government has been determined in recent years to grow the tech sector, and to bring new businesses to Melbourne and Victoria.

“The work that Philip (Dalidakis) has done around the world, with a particular focus on the United States, is already paying dividends,” he said at the event.

“LiveTiles is one of the most important partners to Microsoft globally,” Mr Dalidakis said.

“When you consider the companies that have come to Geelong like Tribal, Dialogue and Runway, you start to understand the sense of scale, the size of the investment the Victorian government continues to make.

“Victoria produces 38 per cent of Australia’s IT graduates and being able to get companies like LiveTiles to come back and set up at home, gives them an opportunity to go somewhere.”

The news comes as LiveTiles achieved $5 million in annualised subscription revenue last month, booking year-on-year growth of 252 per cent.

It's annoying that the Target head office is re-centralising to Melbourne (Tarneit) in 2018, but this might offset the loss of those jobs. And i guess Tarneit's not too far from geelong anyway. But i like the sound of this innovation.

Toon, apk, David Shih and 2 others like this.
  7. private_number

private_number Well-Known Member

Fantastic news

8. trungvn

trungvn Active Member

Can anyone please tell me what's the lot size and frontage requirement for subdivision in Geelong?

9. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

FWIW, Target's relocating to Williams Landing, not Tarneit. I go past it everyday. (I know Dave's copy/pasted the article)

10. Dave3214

Will the what looks like being a multi-storey car park very close to the Williams Landing station be the new premises for Target? First time in a hell of a long time that we went to Melbourne yesterday....:p

11. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

There's a lot of development in Williams Landing - all around the once upon a time Masters- for curiosities sake I'll see if I can find out.

12. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Lol yeah, that's it. I reckon the bottom level's the car park. Noticed the apartment blocks springing up around there? There are 2 already, I hear there's going to be another block coming up 2019-2020. Astronomical land prices in Williams Landing, there was a 400sqm block on Airmaid Drive for $550k or something silly.

MikeyBallarat and Dave3214 like this.
  13. James Cavill

James Cavill Well-Known Member

Depends where you are and what you want to do Trungvn. GRZ's and RGZ's don't have a minimum lot size. If you're proposing a subdivision of less than 300sqm then plans for the dwelling(s) are required for your planning app and you must meet rescode requirements. Depends on what you want to do and where.

14. trungvn

trungvn Active Member

Thanks, James. Just want to evaluate the feasibility of subdivision for a land with existing house in GRZ (approx. 570 - 600m2) into an addition lot, for example to sell the lot or to build on it. Where can I find more specific information?

15. James Cavill

James Cavill Well-Known Member

I've inboxed you trungvn

16. User1634

User1634 New Member

Hi everyone, happy to be joining the forum. I have recently started investing in real estate and as a noobie I am asking myself a lot of questions. I have been looking at the Armstrong Creek area that is currently growing - big corporations are investing in the area (Shopping & Entertainment in Armstrong Creek - Warralily) and I was wondering if it would be a good investment opportunity, considering houses are being built at the moment in the area. What are you thoughts ?

Cheers

17. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Welcome to the forum @User1634 :)

What kind of product are you looking at AC? Is it brand new house and land package?

If you can provide a bit more detail on the deal you're looking at we should then be able to give you our thoughts.

18. User1634

User1634 New Member

Thank you @David Shih! Indeed it is a brand new house and land package (off the plan) - and it has not been built yet. Price is OK, almost 500K (considering the median price of houses of 605K in the area), and it looks like the area is growing fast. However, I am still new to this so I am not sure what I should be looking at.

House if fully equipped and very modern, and it is not too far from important areas (station), and more is being built around.

Land Deposit: 5%
    House deposit: 5%

The property should be cash flow positive according to the math I did.

What do you think?

Thank you very much,

19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

That is nutin'.......Greater Geelong's population is about 300k.......there is only one very dated Westfield there.....the AC catchment area will have 60,000 people within the next 15 years.

The AC towncentre will be just off Surf coast Highway....lots of the land there has been zoned commercial...my bet is that this could be the second Westfield site to service Geelong....long shot but that is what I am thunking....

Toon likes this.
  20. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

I’ve had good growth since I purchased. I’ve seen the price of blocks go up and I’m also seeing completed stock sell reasonably fast for a new area. The shops on Barwon Heads side are now open btw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.