VIC Geelong

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Amber83, 16th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

I think you'll do very well there.

2. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Thanks wobbycarly that's good to hear:)

3. Shorty324

Shorty324 New Member

Hi guys, my first post here. Very green on a lot of this hence getting into a forum to learn more as I look towards buying. Thoughts on the developments around Armstrong Creek etc? Quite a few estates popping up. Near the train station, close to the beach, with a school now in full swing with all year levels. Potential? Again, quite new to this but just thought Id get some thoughts and maybe spark some discussion.

Traveller99 likes this.
  4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

I live there. If you drew a triangle from Torquay, Barwon Heads and Geelong it's right in the middle, a great spot. However, lots and lots of land. I think there is potential, and my house has done okay CG wise, but it's very risky and I would be very cautious. It's a great spot to live but there are probably better spots to invest. Go Brisbane, or if you're keen on Geelong I would look at West Geelong, Herne Hill, Belmont and East Geelong. Or if you're after a cheapie in the area I would consider Newcomb.

The Y-man and Rixter like this.
  5. Shorty324

Shorty324 New Member

Awesome, thanks for your thoughts there!

6. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Which streets/areas in Newcomb would you not invest or avoid? I'd love to create a map, so it'd help other investors around here too.

Tranquilo likes this.
  7. Beelzebub

I'm not sure about specific streets, maybe someone else will know the area better? But you want to stay North of the Bellarine Highway and take into account proximity to the normal stuff such as schools, cemeteries and main roads. It's only a small suburb.

One thing to consider is the plan to redevelop the salt marshes just to the North of Newcomb. I wouldn't factor this into my decision to invest in Newcomb as I doubt it will ever get up; however, if Newcomb stacks up on its own I would consider purchasing with the possibility of the development going ahead and stick to the North East corner of Newcomb. Here is the relevant article: http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...dley-corporation/story-fnjuhovy-1227041521633

Unlikely to ever happen, or at least unlikely to happen as envisaged here; but if it does you will clean up, so still worth keeping in mind.

8. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

9. Ko Ko Naing

The word "North Geelong" just pull me off. The growth is not that good, maybe because of the proximity to the industrial zone and reputation of crime rate. I'd rather go the other way or probably south west.

10. Beelzebub

Yeh Waurn Ponds, Belmont area. There is a lot happening out there to support demand. New hospital is just about to open at the Deakin campus, highways being built, it's not low ses like the northern suburbs so my guess is this area will be absorbing most of the higher income jobs coming online with the re-location and expansion of the compulsory insurance industry in Geelong. But I'm pretty sure Waurn Ponds has already moved a bit...

House likes this.
  11. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Pull you off or put you off?

12. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

:eek::D

13. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

He said it.. Surely it was a typo...Unless "pull me off" means something I don't know the meaning of..

14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...spot on.....it is not only the hospital which will bring 1200 jobs but also he expansion of support service. The other thing on the cards is the Vic Transport Accident Authority is already there. The 64k question is whether the Workcover Authority also move there?

The other things I am hearing is if some of the Defence contractors also move there. Some rumors floating there....

I already have one in Armstrong Creek ..Mt Dunned Villawood estate..try getting ahold of decent titled block within a cooee of 6 months...good luck. Also like the facts the rents are much higher than areas like Tarneit, Trugannia..and it even Point Cook.

Beelzebub likes this.
  15. Ko Ko Naing

Ha ha ha. Not pull me on. Is it put me on? o_O

16. Beelzebub

Hi Sash, My PPOR is on the BH side of that estate. One of the concerns I have is the amount of available land? What are your thoughts?

17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Lots of land...but the developers are maintaining tight control so they don't flood the market.

Bear also in mind...that the trades can only build x amount of houses a year. There is a shortage of trades down there.

Beelzebub likes this.
  18. Beelzebub

My concern is that the smaller players: Watersun, Watermark, Ashbury might have other ideas. But, I still purchased here as it is a great spot. Torquay is too far from Geelong, Geelong is too far from the beaches. Now I'm 5 mins from work and 5 mins from Bells/Winki. It;s also a nice estate, walking tracks, creek etc. They just need to hurry up and build the shops.

19. Ko Ko Naing

Is a small suburb of Thomson good, given the fact that it's neighbouring Newcomb, @Beelzebub ?

Drove past most parts of Newcomb and wouldn't personally live there. But Belmont is a nice suburb with potential, IMO. I am currently priced out by inner suburbs like Geelong West, East Geelong, Central Geelong, Newtown and South Geelong.

20. Purple Patch

Purple Patch Well-Known Member

Rixter likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.