VIC Geelong VIC - Clifton Springs, Armstrong Creek, Curlewis

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Drekko, 21st Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

Hey peoples

I am a new investor looking for where to buy my next investment house
    I have a house living in Tarneit
    One 3 bedder in Werribee

Now I have been looking around and Clifton Springs, Armstrong Creek and Curlewis suburbs seem to be in my budget of around 450-480k
    The data I have seen in these suburbs are:

Armstrong Creek:
    Median price 420k 3bed/ 490k 4bed
    Median Rent : $400
    Yield - 4.4%
    Average/Average demand

- Closer to geelong CBD
    - no train station though

Clifton Springs:
    Median price 405k 3bed/ 487k 4bed
    Median Rent : $350/400
    Yield - 4.4/4.2%
    High for both 3bed and 4bed

- bit far from geelong cbd
    - right near the water... Dont know why prices there are not super expensive due to this can anyone tell me why?

Curlewis
    Median price 418k 3bed/ 430k 4bed
    Median Rent : $360/380
    Yield - 4.5/4.6%
    High/Avg Demand

Can anyone who knows or even lives in these area's please give me your opinion and info for an investors perspective?

2. private_number

private_number Well-Known Member

Since youre only about an hour drive from the above suburbs, I find it's best to do some on the ground research and talk to locals within these suburbs. The more people you talk to, the better.

Jake Milne likes this.
  3. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

Thanks
    How many locals will be property investing in that area though? That'll be hard to find

4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Okay

Clifton Springs is on the bay, so while they are close to the water they are not as desirable as those on the ocean (Ocean Grove, Torquay, Pt Lonsdale). Also, the beaches in Clifton Springs are not as nice as those further along the peninsular in places such as St Leonards and Port Arlington (though it is closer to Geelong and better serviced). That is essentially why it is cheap. Far from Geelong and the beaches are not as nice (and almost half of Geelong's suburbs are near water, so beaches have to be nice to have impact on price).

Armstrong Creek is popular because it is well positioned with close access to Geelong, Barwon Heads and Torquay. It's also worth pointing out that services such as a train station are on their way. And, unlike other outer suburban estates in Melbourne, AC is in a marginal seat both Federally and at state level; so the services promised are actually likely to materialise for AC.

For many people AC is the perfect compromise between working and sending kids to good schools in Geelong and accessing the beaches on the coast (surfing etc).

Also, while AC does not yet have a train station it is close to Marshall and Waurn Ponds stations currently, it is also offers reasonably easy access to Melbourne as you can get straight into the freeway from Bunyip Boulevard. Clifton Springs requires you to drive through the heart of Geelong and also requires a long drive to a train station.

I would build in AC over Curlewis or Clifton Springs.

Last edited: 21st Feb, 2018
    Stoffo, Hodor, Westie and 2 others like this.
  5. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Armstrong Creek is popular with my investor clients.

6. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

Thanks very much people

I am going to be looking at Armstrong Creek for the Geelong area

Still have other areas also to be of interest:

Craigeburn
    Mickleham

Possible Wyndham Vale or Manor Lakes

WOuld prefer to buy land near titled or already titled if possible to build right away

7. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

@Beelzebub good presentation on AC. Have you got one there? ;-)

Drekko likes this.
  8. private_number

the locals are your potential 'customers'.

It's one thing asking online what other investors say about the area, and it's another where you actually go on the ground and ask questions to the people that are actually living there. Some people take what people say online as a bible, i take it as a grain of salt so when I can, I often find myself chatting to locals! Learn a lot from them!

9. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

ah i understand
    Feel a bit creepy though knocking on peoples doors asking

I guess I may look around on a facebook group in that area

10. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Pub, shopkeepers/ cafe, auctions, dog parks?

Jake Milne, Mauve and Anthony Brew like this.
  11. private_number

Not saying to knock on peoples doors hahaha. You can if you wish.

I just find them at the shops and cafes. I find talking to locals who are paid to talk to you are better for conversation. They are more honest and are already there at work. Whereas picking people off at the front of the shops, they have things to do so less time and patience.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  12. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Might be struggling to find a local pub in AC, but it's a place where many first homebuyers are keen to live. It has grown from practically nothing but paddocks 10 years ago to a lot of houses now, plus the shopping centre with the Woolworths is open. But for all my Geelong knowledge, that's about the extent of it re AC for me....i haven't actually been into the suburb at all yet, aside from the very occasional trip along any of Barwon Heads Rd and Torquay Rd. People love being South of the river, and it must be that proximity to the coast and the huge Waurn Ponds shopping conglomeration, plus being fairly close to Deakin Uni too. Having strong private residential demand franks the area as a strong performer i reckon for continued growth.

One thing though that i wonder about, for any Geelong people who are old farts like me (well 49 y/o) i am intrigued as to what AC might look like if we have flooding like around Melbourne Cup day 1995...when the Belmont K-Mart car park was 1/3 under water, and Barwon Heads Rd was pretty much just two intersected islands at Moorabool St and Settlement Rd. Much of what AC is now was pretty much just lakes for a few days back then, although in saying that the '95 floods were second only to the ones in about 1952 i think, so they are relatively rare. But even in '95, there was very little housing around in complete contrast to now.

13. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

And Beelzebub has pretty much nailed it too with Curlewis and Clifton Springs. The latter two suburbs are almost neighboring, just West of Drysdale, and both on the Bellarine peninsular with Corio Bay waterfront views if near enough to the coast.

They are close enough to Leopold's gateway Plaza for shopping, or a bit further to Newcomb's shops, or Ocean Grove..Drysdale too has a major supermarket and a variety of specialty stores and cafes. The commute on the Portarlington Rd can be a bit congested if needing to travel at peak time, which starts around 6.30 AM with many people living in this area commuting to Melbourne. And as Beelzebub said, you pretty much have to drive through Geelong City if commuting to Melbourne, with it's annoying 40k zones, or maybe just use McKillop St if you want to sit at a more logical 60k's. Public transport at this stage is not particularly frequent, but i'd venture to say few people would willingly move there without a car. It won't really be a major issue, it's more a lifestyle choice. However they are quite popular and the growth in population in many of the towns from Leopold up to Portarlington/St Leonards has been appreciable in the last several years.

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I think Moolap has long term potential.
    Sure there is a chunk of industrial on the Bellerine rd side, but there are a lot of large blocks and zoning will change eventually being SO close to Geelong centre

15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

They are in the process of putting in the Drysdale bypass which will make the travel to the Geelong CBD.

The are also looking at how to get the traffic onto the Highway to Melbourne by bypassing Geelong.

16. Drekko

Drekko Well-Known Member

Can anyone provide ETA or plans on train station and rail links near armstrong creek? A person here mentioned this but I cannot find anything

17. Beelzebub

The local pub is Odyssey Tavern on the Surf Coast Highway. Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about floods. I remember before I purchased many people calling me silly as the paddocks used to be under water. It's amazing what modern engineering can do; remember that Elizabeth St in the CBD was once a creek. Anyway, they have done extensive drainage works with plenty of ******ing basins etc and while recent heavy rains had put strain on much of Geelong's drainage systems AC was doing fine. COGG removed the flood overlay after the works and it's no problem getting insurance.

If I was investing on the Bellarine I'd be putting my money into Portarlington. That place has been going through a mini boom lately. And the Drysdale bypass won't help Drysdale or Clifton Springs, it will benefit Portarlington.

Some recent infrastructure that has gone into Port recently:
    - New petrol station and industrial estate
    - Woolworths has opened up (this was about three years ago I think)
    - The Safe Harbour project which is set to expand the Mussel industry
    - I have also noticed lots of subdivisions over the last several years where before there was none.
    - Expansion of a nursing home and the opening of a new retirement village
    - A new ferry that docks in Geelong and Docklands for commuting to CBD
    - Upgrade to the Primary School
    - New housing estate
    - Drysdale Bypass

Actually, if I was investing on the Bellarine I'd put my money into OG (not the new estate there though) But I don't like Clifton Springs as an investment, I'd look at Port first.

18. rook2017

rook2017 Well-Known Member

Hi Beelzebub,

good posting. What can you say about St Leonards as an area for investment? Thanks

19. Beelzebub

There's nothing there; Portarlington would be better. They're releasing lots of land and there is no additional infrastructure planned. That being said, the blocks are selling fast. While all the activity in Portarlington will benefit St Leonards it seems obvious to me that it is better to be where the activity actually is. i.e. Portarlington. In any event, in terms of investment on the Bellarine I would go: 1. Ocean Grove (but not the new estate) 2. Portarlington 3. Leopold 4. Clifton Springs / Curlewis 5. St Leonards 6. Indented Head (I'm not sure about Queenscliff or Pt Lonsdale).

rook2017 likes this.
  20. skyfury

skyfury Well-Known Member

That flood thing is very interesting. Local geelong man,how do you think about st leonards?