VIC Geelong to Melbourne high speed rail

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MichaelGarland, 26th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MichaelGarland

MichaelGarland Well-Known Member

Hello I noticed the Vic government are investigating a possible Geelong to Melbourne high speed rail link . Does anyone know where the tracks or route might go through ? I think it would push up houses prices in all of Geslong ...

2. NWHT

NWHT Well-Known Member

3. Knights of Ni

Knights of Ni Well-Known Member

Won't happen...... Nothing to be gained by saving 20 minutes on this route. High speed rail is best suited to long distances.

Better to upgrade the Metro, extending it to Geelong and add a link to Avalon Airport. Could get that done before the rail link to Tullamarine, thereby providing a direct rail link from Southern Cross Station to an International & Domestic Airport. The mind boggles.

Perthguy and Stoffo like this.
  4. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Won’t happen. Melbourne-Canberra-Sydney has been on the books for ages. Makes more economical sense and didn’t happen. As if Geelong will ever happen. Please.

qak likes this.
  5. NWHT

NWHT Well-Known Member

D.Andrews calls it more of pipe dream, I'm being more optimistic and hoping it will happen. His comments "Imagine travelling from Geelong to Melbourne in under 40 minutes. It would change the way people work and live. And it would change the face of our state forever" is hopeful for the Geelong economy and investment opportunities.... maybe by the time they complete the network it will be time for another cycle!?

6. Jake Milne

Jake Milne Well-Known Member

craigc, Citycat88 and Perthguy like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We can't even get decent cycleway access into the Sydney CBD from the north shore without having to carry bikes up stairs. How could mass transit from a regional be more viable?

It makes more sense to improve accessibility to Avalon.

8. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Geelong is as ‘regional’ as the Gold Coast. Actually, probably less as it’s closer to Melbourne than the Gold Coast is to Brisbane.

The high speed rail probably won’t come any time soon (although I do wish) - but if you all vote Coalition in the upcoming state election the freeway will be raised to 110km/h. Do it for us Geelong property owners!!

Dave3214 likes this.
  9. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

What is the difference between the current 100km/h and 110km/h? Save you 3-5 mins travelling time?

10. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

I prefer the Homer Simpson argument here....'Sure it'll save a few lives'...But Millions will be late!!

It actually was 110 KPH going back for a period in the 90's anyway, i think at least the initial bit from Corio to Lara after the first bit was triplicated, but was knocked back to 100 some time afterwards.

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

NOTHING o_O
    During peak times it's just an additional few min in the parking lot at the other end:rolleyes:
    Everytime I drive it, 50% of traffic pass me at 100

12. hieund85

That's why I asked @G TOWN .

13. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Actually the long distances involved between Melb, Syd and Bris are why fast rail is not economical. Most countries with high speed rail have much less distance between major urban centres. The other problem is that the fast rail would have to compete with the Melb - Bris air corridor. So I'd say Geelong to Melb is probably more likely. That being said, neither will happen.

14. hieund85

No, I would disagree with your statement that high speed rail is not suitable for long distance. If you connect the big capital cities with fast train, all the regional centres/areas along the route will benefit from it if proper planning is taken. It will help to move more jobs and hence people out of the overcrowded capital cities, develop satellite towns/cities. And again no, the fast rail will not replace the air route. Instead, both of them will support each other to form a more complete transport service between cities.

Finally, what is the point of building a 60km fast rail (bullet train) between Geelong and Melbourne? How many stops do you want to have? 1 or 2 or 3. It does not make sense and is also not economical for the fast train to stop every 20 or 30km. So it means the Geelong to Melbourne will be non stop which does not help many people.

15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It's not the speed - it's the cost of the train ticket.

We in Zones 1 & 2 pay a max of $8.60 per day.
    Geelong is $26.40 per day

The Y-man

16. hieund85

Yes. That's why I think it make more sense to turn Geelong-Melbourne into Metro or at least make the fare more affordable. But it cannot be done without changing the V-line tech. It cost more to run. It also has less customer turnaround (people travelling short distance and hence replacedby other group) since it has less stops in between. By the way, you can save a lot by purchasing the myki pass.

17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

True, but that goes for Metro too....

The Y-man

18. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Well pretty much every study into fast rail in the last several decades has concluded that it doesn't stack up economically. And you're right about Geelong fast rail, as I said, neither will happen.

19. hieund85

Yes, but the price gap between Metro and Vline will be much smaller if you buy pass than daily fare.

20. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

The budget commits $2 billion for fast rail between Geelong and Melbourne, a project that is dependent on winning state government backing.
    The federal government also got on board a better train service between Waurn Ponds and South Geelong, committing $700 million to duplicate the single-track line and get services moving every 10 minutes.
    https://www.theage.com.au/business/...-woo-victorian-commuters-20190328-h1cwsp.html

Justin_mo likes this.