VIC Geelong 2019

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Brendon, 5th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWHT

NWHT Well-Known Member

Interesting, worth catching up and having a chat soon!

2. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

That’s the whole postcode...which includes the Solar Drive district of Whittington.

3. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Is it pretty normal for houses in Geelong to have Asbestos or is it an issue to sell house with Asbestos in it?
    Thanks!

mvmpc likes this.
  4. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Normal enough...it depends on the area. If it is non friable it should be fine (in the eaves etc, my house has it in one bathroom wall and the eaves of the extension), if it is in the roof I would run.

'Super Six' corrugated iron look asbestos roof sheets and 'Tilux' bathroom/wet area panels would be the two danger types.

mvmpc likes this.
  5. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

6. Lauren350

Lauren350 Active Member

I would definitely recommend Armstrong Real Estate. Have quite a few friends who use them to manage their properties and all are very happy with them.

7. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I guess image property works in south west melbourne as well not sure if they cover geelong

8. NWHT

NWHT Well-Known Member

Continued infrastructure improvements Geelong CBD - A new civic precinct!

Text from the article: The Cox Architecture-designed cross-laminated timber building will be Geelong’s new central administrative office at 137 Mercer Street. The new headquarters will consolidate the city’s nine offices into one central building, with construction expected to begin next year on the civic precinct.

City of Geelong said it is partnering with Quintessential in a $200 million investment on the project, with completion planned for mid-2022.

Quintessential to Develop Geelong’s Civic Precinct

mitsui and Lions4Eva like this.
  9. ARTIS

ARTIS Member

A Melbourne property syndicate has bought Corio Central shopping centre in a $101 million deal.

IP Generation has emerged as the buyer of the 31,052sq m northern Geelong complex anchored by Kmart, Coles and Woolworths.

The $101 million price tag was a 3.8% discount on the book value set by listed retail property firm Vicinity Centres, which has been selling non-core assets to fund expansions to centres in Melbourne’s east.

Corio Central sold for $101m amid improving retail conditions

10. Lions4Eva

Lions4Eva Well-Known Member

How's the market for Corio and Norlane travelling so far?

11. bryansheep

bryansheep New Member

Hi friends,

Looking for a bit of advice specific to buying a first home in Geelong.

My wife and I are both professionals in our late 20s and are looking to buy our first home. We are both based in Melbourne but she will be working in Geelong for the next 2 years so we will be living apart (I will continue renting in Melb inner suburbs).

We have committed to buying a property in Geelong right now as:
    - Her job starts in February next year so hopefully things will be sorted by then
    - We will pay 1 rent + 1 mortgage - she needs a place to live in Geelong anyway.
    - We are anxiously trying to get onto the property ladder!
    - It's an affordable price point (esp compared to Melbourne), one that will utilise First Home Owner Concession +/- Grant
    - We're looking to turn this from a PPOR to an IP for tax benefits after she moves out (hence minimising deposit, keeping debt high, using offset as much as possible etc)

Our "ideal suburb" in Geelong is:
    - Within 10-15 min drive from Geelong CBD i.e. work
    - <600k ideally
    - Nice family suburb with high livability (nice parks, shops etc). Important for my wife to feel safe.
    - Projected to have a steady growth in the long run as we were hoping to hold onto this long term

We've been looking at Belmont, Highton and Wandana Heights so far. Priced out of Newtown and Geelong West.

It's obvious we missed the boat with the 2016-2018 boom in prices but that's the situation we find ourselves in. We're not looking to make the "savviest" investment, just a decent one that will have decent capital growth in the long term.

My questions are:
    - Do you guys think we will see further medium-long term growth in the above suburbs, and that the current plateau-ed prices aren't "inflated"?
    - Are there any other suburbs that fit our criteria that anyone would suggest?

Thanks in advance

12. Tman1992

Tman1992 Member

What's the general consensus on Geelong outer suburbs? Looks like Whittington is a no-go with some of the previous comments at least.

13. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

Suggestion - how about you live together but half way? Someplace like Lara? 55 min train to Spencer Street and you'd likely get a seat. Lara's about 15-20 mins from Geelong's CBD. There are some nice areas in Lara, check out the Grand Lakes area, lovely family feel.

Out of the three Geelong areas you've looked at, I'd pick Belmont or Highton, but that's just me. Maybe @Dave3214 can recommend specific streets, he's a local while I'm about 30-40 mins from Geelong.

James Cavill and Stoffo like this.
  14. roger vh

roger vh Member

+1 for McDonald and Co. Alison or Brad Seller are great to deal with

15. roger vh

roger vh Member

+1 for McDonald and Co. Alison or Brad Seller are great to deal with

16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As per the statement by @Westie
    Loads of people commute to Melb from as far away as Ocean Grove, Torquay and Anglesea.
    Why would you choose to live apart ?
    I have always liked Little River, not Geelong, not Melb, not far from either or a day out down the coast/beach (if you can afford to buy there is the problem)

James Cavill and Westie like this.
  17. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

Does Geelong West include Manifold Heights and Herne Hill? Both nice areas with shops.

Highton is ok, but depending on location supermarkets and the single lane bridge can be an issue.

edit: Also Lara, is a bit further out but will have solid growth due to proximity to Melbourne + Geelong. Especially out Lara West with new shops and schools to be built between six ways and bacchus marsh rd.

18. Tman1992

Tman1992 Member

I have found some nice places in Newcomb, what is a locals thoughts on that area for long term growth?

19. NWHT

NWHT Well-Known Member

+1 for Herne Hill

Invested there at the start of 2018 and whilst performing renovation I really enjoyed living there and the local ammenities. Seen good capital growth as well.

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Second that ...went with them based on @David Shih recommendation.

So far very good...I needed one Geelong manager for my investments and they seem to have a long reach and are competent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.