VIC Geelong 2019

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Brendon, 5th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWHT

NWHT Well-Known Member

I'm continuing to invest in Geelong. I purchased a development site in Newtown and looking to perform a 3 lot subdivision and construction of 3 mid-high quality houses.
    I have an investment in Herne Hill that I'll look to sell next year (probably go to market in March) to assist with the development financing.

I'm still and always will be optimistic for Geelong. I can see plenty of infrastructure projects under construction and in the pipeline. As we all can see, Geelong CBD and smaller retail hubs should continue to benefit from the greenfield developments that continue to evolve around the outer suburbs of Geelong.

I would be interested to hear from others about their calculated growth achieved in residential properties from Manifold Heights through to Bell Post Hill.

2. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Guys, looking at Geelong, there are not many options to buy closer to train station. Are you guys buying away from station. I have heard unlike Sydney and Melbourne, people dont rely much on train stations/public transport in Geelong.So anything far from public transport should also do well. any thoughts please?
    Thanks!

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Everyone drives in Geelong..unless they are commuting to Melbourne.....

SydneyInvestor likes this.
  4. d_walsh

d_walsh Well-Known Member

Strong rental growth in Corio. Have see rents increase c . $70 / week in last 18 months.

Nedzilla and Lions4Eva like this.
  5. NWHT

NWHT Well-Known Member

+1
    Given Geelongs size and minimal traffic congestion, driving is relatively easy and is the primary form of family/individuals travels. Saying that, yes there is the train network which will get you into Geelong CBD and some surrounding suburbs (running North/South), and there is also the Bus network which covers most if not all of Geelong, see attached PDF.

Attached Files:

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Haven’t bought anymore since the first entry.

7. MSB

MSB Well-Known Member

But do you get quality tenants in Corio considering many of the commission houses are in that area?

Matyd likes this.
  8. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

Hey mate,

I am also thinking of drawing out equity in existing belmont investment and buying either 2 x cheaper sites or another more expensive one in Geelong West/East.

Keep us posted with your newtown development (initial schematic is looking solid btw)

9. Hayley Mitchell

Hayley Mitchell New Member

Hi all, I love Geelong!

I purchased an investment in Geelong West a few years ago in my SMSF and it has done great. I am looking at a long term hold and have an amazing tenant in there who looks after it so well and always pays rent on time, the perfect set and forget property.

We also purchased a property about ten years ago close to Avalon Airport and it has double in value, again another long term hold, I am never moving!

I would look at the area very carefully, as a Director of a Property Management Company in Geelong I know there are good and not so good pockets. If anyone ever wants to know my opinion on a potential investment I would love to help ([email protected] or 0499 018 763).

I also own investment properties in Melbourne and personally my Geelong ones have performed better, it does depend on individual circumstances however I am of the opinion if you can hold you should hold!

mvmpc likes this.
  10. Hayley Mitchell

Hayley Mitchell New Member

You can but you really need to be selective and careful with your application processing and tenancy selection. We have some amazing tenants in Corio.

d_walsh likes this.
  11. K@thy T

K@thy T Active Member

12. SydneyInvestor

Thanks @sash , what are your views on capital growth of Melbourne/Sydney/Geelong for continuous run for last couple of years. I will not consider slides in prices for last 2 years as I donot consider it much of an impact on quality investment grade properties. But more interested in coming 3-4 years. Thanks!

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I reckon with a 4-5 year timefame horizon they are all goers.

Just be careful that in the short term some parts of Sydney and Melbourne are very over valued.

SydneyInvestor likes this.
  14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It has been a while since I have followed that area.....
    It used to have a large proportion of older government housing
    So mostly older builds.
    I've considered buying there previously, as it is close to cbd, riding on East's coat tails, changing demographic and oppertunity to improve/update if you buy the right thing
    Also close to Gordon Tafe and Buckleys, still a bit of industry employment in nearby breakwater for those that don't shuffle paper.....
    I'd choose here over Corio or Whittington
    Thoughts @Dave3214

K@thy T likes this.
  15. SydneyInvestor

Thanks!

16. Krakers

Krakers Member

Can anyone recommend property manager the area please. My H&L in Armstrong Creek is about to finish.

17. K@thy T

K@thy T Active Member

I’m a bit concerned as it’s listed in RACV’s top 10 riskiest suburbs.

Attached Files:

18. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've been using McDonald & Co for my IP at Newcomb for over 2 years now - don't have an issue with them. Ask to speak to Alison Kerr and she'll look after you.

Cheers,
    David

Krakers likes this.
  19. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

One of my properties in AC is managed by Armstrong REA. Haven't had an issue with them.

Krakers likes this.
  20. Krakers

Krakers Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.