VIC Geelong 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Pentanol, 1st Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

@timo I suppose that was to be expected to a certain extent. I've seen arguably 30%+ growth in 12months on my property in Whittington, that's not sustainable.

Yields no longer make sense so investment backs off and a correction starts

2. Lions4Eva

Lions4Eva Well-Known Member

3. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Lions4Eva likes this.
  4. mad_doggy911

mad_doggy911 Member

Just on the Northern Suburbs in Geelong.

Once the the BPH/Lovely Banks redevelopment gets under way (might be a while away) BPH/Bell Park/Hamlyn Heights will all become inner suburbs. You can also be on the ring road in under 2 minutes. Furthermore, in some parts of BPH and Hamlyn Heights you can get spectacular bay and city views. One day you might get someone willing to pay a premium for them.

MikeyBallarat and Beelzebub like this.
  5. mad_doggy911

mad_doggy911 Member

Also, I forgot to mention these suburbs are right near Kardinia International College which is one of the best schools in Geelong. Air Asia basing itself at Avalon etc has already been covered. The North is the regions next growth corridor.

MikeyBallarat and Beelzebub like this.
  6. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Agree completely. These 3215 postcode suburbs are IMO some of the most appealing in Geelong

mad_doggy911 likes this.
  7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

MikeyBallarat and mad_doggy911 like this.
  8. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

mad_doggy911 likes this.
  9. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Hey peeps, question for those familiar with zoning guidelines in Victoria. This is just for my understanding only.

Some of you may recall we discussed about this property in Norlane: 87-89 Walpole Parade, Norlane, Vic 3214 - Property Details. I punched in the property into planning maps online and the property's in the IN1Z zone:

upload_2018-11-12_14-14-10.png

Bit more digging yielded what can and cannot be put on the property, here's relevant part:

upload_2018-11-12_14-15-50.png

Source: http://planning-schemes.delwp.vic.gov.au/schemes/vpps/33_01.pdf

So how did they end up putting a residential house on the subdivided block? I went through the above link and didn't quite see how a house could be on this block. Someone please educate me?

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  10. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

Most likely built prior to being zoned as IN1Z

11. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Yep, that'd make sense. Thanks for replying.

12. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Geelong now has it's international airport open for business!

Article from the Australian, link here...Nocookies

Australia’s first airport designed exclusively for low cost carriers has opened today at Avalon giving Melbourne its second international terminal.

Avalon International will welcome its first flight on Wednesday when AirAsia X touches down at the “no-frills” facility which charges significantly less for aeronautical services than typical airports.

With no aerobridges, a single level building and a shared check-in area with Avalon’s domestic airport, chief executive officer Justin Giddings said the terminal was designed and built at low cost.

READ NEXT
    “The capital investment is just so much lower than (Melbourne Airport) Tullamarine,” Mr Giddings said.

“They need to get a return for their investment, whereas our (investment) is not so much.”

In a coup for the new facility, AirAsia X has moved its double daily return flights to Kuala Lumpur from Tullamarine to Avalon.

AirAsia X Malaysia chief executive Benyamin Ismail said there was a need for more low cost carrier terminals to help stimulate travel with affordable fares.

“We’re confident the Australian government’s investment into developing what is a simplistic new terminal at Avalon will highlight the need for other Australian airports to step away from a one-size fits all approach,” Mr Ismail said.

He revealed the airline was also talking to Western Sydney Airport about their needs.

“We understand it’s going to be a futuristic airport that caters for all airlines,” said Mr Ismail.

“What’s important is that we’ve commenced talks to ensure they have a clear understanding of the low cost carrier market and terminal characteristics we require from the outset.

“These learnings will ultimately translate to lower fares for travellers, and increased tourism and trade opportunities.”

In its first year, 500,000 passengers are expected to pass through Avalon International but Mr Giddings said there was plenty of room for growth.

Reckon this will be a real positive for Geelong, which the article seems to neglect to say, suggesting it's Melbourne's 2nd airport! :p But it opens Geelong up a bit now to the world, and it's nice to know the Northern suburbs are now just 15 minutes away tops from what could be a big employment hub for the area in future. Very pleased this has come to fruition, as in 2011 it was looking a possibility that Avalon may close, with Tiger Airways and CASA almost colluding to see them cease using Avalon, and Jetstar wavering in it's commitment there. And even though i didn't vote for Dan Andrews, it was his government that gave Avalon the kick-along to get to this point now. Fantastic news for Geelong, international airports are pretty thin on the ground nationally, and to have one 15 minutes away from Geelong must be a boon to the city for sure.

13. mad_doggy911

mad_doggy911 Member

Bell Post Hill and Hamlyn Heights are 2 of the better northern suburbs that should capitalise on this. It takes less than a couple of minutes to get on the ring road and would take bugger all time to get to the airport. There's also plethora of good schools thrown in as a bonus.

Dave3214 and Ian87 like this.
  14. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

I bought in HH last year bank valuation came in at 15% growth last month. Hopefully this keeps it ticking along.

15. HapppyChat

HapppyChat Well-Known Member

Dave3214 and MikeyBallarat like this.
  16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Koshy and Ian87 like this.
  17. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nope...but it still have some lead.....maybe another 12-18 months.

Prices are still lower than Melbourne....and good value. The consideration is the number of jobs there now...

Koshy likes this.
  19. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

12-18 months is good...plenty of time to realise profits.

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

See side suburbs are doing really well...I see prices in Ocean Grove, Torquay, Portarlington/St Leonards, Point Londsdale and I am gobsmacked!!!

Westie and MikeyBallarat like this.