VIC Geelong 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Pentanol, 1st Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Got to disagree there...the market still have some ways to go....consider this you can still get into Geelong for well under $450k under 7 klms of the city. I have one in Melton Sth and it is worth $450k.....the other factor is I am stunned at how fast the beach side properties going. For example places like Clifton Springs are now flying out the door......you could not move these only 12 months ago.

2. emza

emza Well-Known Member

Not sure if people do this as part of research but take a look at properties to rent on Domain and then track it over time.

Here's what's happening that shows a weak rental market: prices are being dropped. More places are pet friendly. Prices are flat from a year ago or lower. Some rentals are sitting vacant for weeks to months.

Then you can look at sale prices and see the rent yield. There are stupid sales going on. Dumb bubble money buying places that have 1% or less yield and are already so inflated it's hard to see how capital growth is going to happen.

When I can rent a million dollar property for $400 a week... there is something bad happening there.

There are people trying to rent out Armstrong Creek properties for $400 a week... but you can live in the city or near to it for that price... and often get a better house (ducted heating, etc).

I've seen a few properties now get sold and then thrown to the rental market... then they sit until the rent is reduced.

I've also noticed a hell of a lot of Armstrong Creek properties up for rent now.

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Can't quite agree with this post.....yes some properties may sit if the vendor is unrealistic.

But the demand for Armstrong Creek is owner occupier driven. Primarily by people who commute to Melbourne as it is close to the ring road to Melbourne. The other side is because Torquay prices are high a lot of retirees are buying there and be within 10 minutes of Torquay and 15 minutes of central Geelong.

The other thing people are not realising is that Geelong is growing at about 6-8 people per year on average. That requires about 2500-4000 homes per year. This supply is not being met.

Beelzebub and Toon like this.
  4. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Yes agree price is still relatively affordable from price perspective, especially if you compare with where Melbourne is today. To that extent it may still suit owner occupier needs however for investors it's all about returns - measured by CG and yield.

CG might have a bit more puff to go and we have no idea when it will stop. However the rent is not catching up as there are more investors trying to rent out their IP. And if rent stays stagnant, that means yield will get worse and worse. In my reply to ARTIS we assumed an investment scenario of $400K purchase price with $300/week rental which is about 3.9% gross yield and it seem to be continuing trending south. At the current interest rate this is already negatively geared before tax, what's going to happen to holding cost when interest rate does goes up by 1, or 2 bp at some point in time in future?

Cheers,
    David

5. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Last edited: 21st Jun, 2018
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Agree with @David Shih regarding yeild.
    Unless you got in early enough to have some capital growth (or value add via reno/improvements, yeilds will remain low or drop.
    This is an increasing problem for investors, due to increased development (units and subdivisions) equalling increased supply of housing with a decrease in demand for rentals, sydney in parts is already suffering.

@sash & @euro73 have both been advising of getting as close to positively geared proporties for some time, we are starting to see these changes and when eventually interest rates increase yeilds will tighten further.

Like a boy scout "Be Prepared" ;)

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I will be a boy scout on my best behaviour!;):p

Westie likes this.
  8. ARTIS

ARTIS Member

Hi David,

Thanks for the detailed sheet, it is really helpful.

Estimated Expenses Weekly Monthly Annually
    Council Rates $ 23.08 $ 100.00 $ 1,200.00
    Strata Fees $ - $ - $ -
    Water Rates $ 13.94 $ 60.39 $ 724.72
    Insurance $ 21.15 $ 91.67 $ 1,100.00
    Management Fees $ 21.00 $ 91.00 $ 1,092.00
    Repayments $ 432.38 $ 1,873.67 $ 22,484.00
    Landlord Insurance $ 15.38 $ 66.67 $ 800.00
    Estimated Totals $ 526.94 $ 2,283.39 $ 27,400.72

The estimated expenses have two insurance factors,

can you please suggest what is the other insurance for?

regards,

Arti Sehgal

9. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Perhaps building insurance and landlord insurance?

ARTIS and David Shih like this.
  10. David Shih

One is building and the other is landlord insurance. They are separated as building instance will not apply to apartments.

Cheers,
    David

ARTIS likes this.
  11. ARTIS

ARTIS Member

Thanks David and Hieund85

where do we get these figures from.

do you recommend any company over others?

12. David Shih

The ones on my blog were originally taken with my QLD Logan shire investments where council rate are on the high side (they charge an investor premium :eek:) and also PM fee are at 8.5% ex GST.

If you're doing feasibility for Geelong suburbs then council rate should be cheaper but I would still use these ballpark figures to give you some idea. Personally I like to calculate using worst case numbers but that's just me :)

P.S. If you like to know the exact figures and company/tradies I use just PM me - happy to share

Cheers,
    David

13. David Shih

NWHT, ARTIS and d_walsh like this.
  14. ARTIS

ARTIS Member

Hi David,

Thanks for explaining it so well.

yes I will be keen to get those figures and contact details of you.

Cheers '

Arti

15. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of insurers providing building and landlord insurance products. I have seen people recommending Terry Scheer and EBM here and I personally use EBM. Remember to ask for a discount for Property Chat member :).

16. NWHT

NWHT Well-Known Member

Interesting read, thanks David.
    Peter's comments regarding existing businesses expanding and the influx of new businesses & agencies (Worksafe / NDIS) provides for an optimistic future for the Geelong CBD. The new tower at 44 Ryrie St as well as 1 Malop & 13-19 Malop Street are fantastic examples of new architecturally striking projects - certainly a beneficial change in the area IMO.

This piece written in Sept 2017 discusses potential developments to cater for 80,000 new residents over the next 20 years. I would only have assumed that large-scale developers perform extensive due diligence before investment and construction in a new region.
    A new skyline and a new era for Geelong as builders look up - realestate.com.au

David Shih likes this.
  17. David Shih

Ah I actually remember that article! Not because of the actual content but because of all those artist impressions which reminds me of glossy brochures...thanks for bringing up the memories :p

It's all good news, plus what @Dave3214 post today about the new Barwon Health North facility at Norlane - 80K new residents in the next 19 years should certainly be an achievable target.

Cheers,
    David

Dave3214 likes this.
  18. d_walsh

d_walsh Well-Known Member

Great news and thanks for the articles @David Shih and @Dave3214

I can see Geelong becoming Melbourne’s equivalent of Sydney’s Parramatta at some stage. Here’s to more glossy Geelong artist impressions! :D

19. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Corio Bay >>> Parramatta River

20. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

MikeyBallarat likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia