QLD Geebung - my thoughts

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Whitecat, 5th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

There are certainly pockets in Zillmere where there lots of townhouses and units. I'd avoid those areas unless you are wanting to develop in the future. However, there are many areas in Zillmere where the standard of housing and the scenery is as good or even better than the above mentioned suburbs. Geebung is in a similar situation.

If I was buying in either Geebung or Zillmere, I would choose something close to the station and in family type areas which have the normal quarter acre block. I still believe that both of these suburbs are great buy and hold areas and will do well as the inner suburbs become too pricey.

Angel and Whitecat like this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Agree. I would buy it but i was more thinking of why your typical FHBs wouldn't. It isn't that hard getting in and out of the driveway. I gave that idea close scrutiny when passing a few weeks back. I can imagine a young couple thinking about its potential for long-term growth yet all their rellies chiding them about it.

3. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Great post Whitecat. I'm also considering Geebung.

Geebung also has a train station which makes it very attractive. Properties within 1km from the station will certainly have good growth?

However properties closer to the train station will be roughly 3km from the Chermside Mall. Would you say that is still acceptable distance from the mall? It's certainly not walkable.

Last edited: 7th Jan, 2017
    WattleIdo and Whitecat like this.
  4. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Yes I would definitely say 3 kilometres is acceptable distance to still make the mall a big driver and feature for Geebung. Take a look at the real estate advertisements all the Agents know this.
    Geebung is a family suburb and the mall has such a huge amount of amenity. Chermside is a Satellite CBD (refer draft SEQ Regional Plan). It has restaurants, medical and all sorts of diverse retail outside of the mall which will be the biggest in Queensland.
    So Geebung is one of the suburbs that is benefiting from proximity to there. At 3 kilometres people will be expecting to drive. Although this really depends which pockets of Geebung there are some which I just a stroll through the park to the mall. Chermside has a lot of parks around in the mall which is also a feature and it's very well linked with cycle paths.
    Zillmere is also a good option for the same reasons - train and proximity to Chermside - and also in a stage where gentrification will be taking place in the future I would certainly be getting in now it's an interesting combination when you see people come off the train at night you see young prof people in suits who have bought their first home coming back from the city walking alongside people that it clearly unemployed and living in public housing that's the sort of suburb I think is a good suburb from an investment point of view.

Realist35 and WattleIdo like this.
  5. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

6. kimbo

kimbo Active Member

Great post Whitecat

Will certainly look at this suburb closely and get you to inspect again. Marvellous job with the inspections you did for me last month!

Whitecat likes this.
  7. Northsideguy74

Northsideguy74 New Member

Hope everyone had a great Xmas. Wavell Heights is a bit expensive and out of my price range so getting peoples thoughts on Geebung. A lot of these posts and a little old now so thought i would see where people see this suburb heading in 2018.

8. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

Continuing to grow. I was actually reviewing a few suburbs and it's great to see how much of the northside has continued to grow and the new "entry points."

You're probably going to get more value out of the likes of Boondall rather than Geebung which is only the suburb over. Apart from that, if you're looking for some "value-for-money" based upon land size and house quality for your $$$ consider Bray Park, Strathpine, or Lawnton.

Jack Chen and Northsideguy74 like this.
  9. nth brisbanite

After googling price growth for Geebung, I found it to be increasing 4-5% p.a.over short and medium term. I would expect this to stay the same or accelerate in 2018 as it is near or next to expensive suburbs such as Wavell Heights, Kedron and Chermside.

Last edited: 25th Dec, 2017
    Whitecat and MissMel like this.
  10. MissMel

MissMel Well-Known Member

11. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Yeah Chermside west is full of some pretty ugly houses. Think the lack of any rail anywhere nearby is what realy holds it back though take quite a while to do the morning city commute

12. MissMel

MissMel Well-Known Member

I suspect you’re right :(

13. nth brisbanite

At the same time, there are some very expensive houses. Can't remember the address, but a house recently for 1.1 million.

MissMel likes this.
  14. sputnikspicer

sputnikspicer New Member

Hey guys! Just reviving the discussion about Geebung in the current property climate. I have been given the opportunity to buy a place near the border of Geebung/WH and would love to hear how you guys feel about this ugly duckling suburb...

The rental yield is not flash (~4%), so I'm hoping we can get a good discount and positive growth over the next year to make it worthwhile.