G'day from sunny Qatar....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Songo, 8th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Songo

Songo Well-Known Member

.....and very hot and humid too at the moment!

I'm a research scientist by profession and I work in a sport medicince hospital in Doha, Qatar, which is 'just across the ditch' from Dubai. The city here is still about 10yrs behind Dubai, lots of development and construction and of course all eyes towards the world cup in 2022.

I've only been here a year but plan to stay another 4-6 yr. Now that I'm settled in, and esp because the AUD has fallen considerably whilst some volatiliy remains on international markets, I'm viewing Australian property as a strong investment option. As an o/s expat I'll probably be looking for advice, particularly from other expats, but also anyone that purchases remotely (eg: out of state).

2. Songo

Songo Well-Known Member

.....oh username is a latin percussion rhythm. I play congas for fun in my spare time :)

(sorry neighbours)

3. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard @Songo. How do you you find the lifestyle in Qatar? :)

Have you started looking into where and what you might purchase as an investment, or not at that stage yet? If so, what are the plans–buy and hold, renovate, develop etc?

4. Songo

Songo Well-Known Member

Qatar has its ups and downs! Good expat community of interesting people, close to europe etc, but sometimes I just want to walk down the road and have a beer sitting under a tree in a nice beer garden.... no can do :-(

My limit right now is about 400k so I'm thinking seriously about Brisbane 6-10km out from CBD eg: Carina, Carina Heights etc. I know the Geelong area well, but Vic has huge stamp duty compared to Qld. Do you know if Australian citizens whom are non-residents are hit with the new 3% surcharge (as per foreign citizens). If this is the case then it makes Vic basically a no-go area.

5. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I reckon that area of Bris is looking pretty good. Plenty of folks buying around there.. I just bought 10km south of the CBD myself (house on corner block).

Don't quote me, but I believe those costs are only for non-citizens :)

6. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

i is disappoint you stole the world cup :eek: