G'day from New Investor

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pj79, 5th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pj79

pj79 Member

Hi all,

I was referred to this site by a mate of mine who has been investing well over the last few years and I have to say it has been great reading through the many posts and forums. Excellent information on here.

I started investing at the beginning of last year after setting up a SMSF with my wife. We purchased a property in Portland, VIC which is currently rented. We have also tapped into the equity out of our PPOR and are currently building an investment property in Leeton , NSW which is scheduled to be completed in September.

We are excited to see where this investment journey will take us and hopefully set us up for an early retirement. Fingers crossed!!!!

Looking forward to learning heaps from all the savvy investors/brokers on here.

Cheers

Pete

Perthguy, Tom Howes and Gockie like this.
  2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Hey Pete,

Welcome to the forum.

Leeton is an interesting choice. I spent the first 5 years of my life near there. What are you building there–house, units? And what made you choice the area? :)

3. Tom Howes

Tom Howes Active Member

Welcome pj79. I am sure you will learn lots.

pj79 likes this.
  4. pj79

pj79 Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the welcome.

Wife and I are building a 3 bedroom house on 1200m2 block. We decided on Leeton as we did a bit of research along with advice provided by our trusted financial adviser and found that it was a good place for us to start investing outside our SMSF. Plenty of good industry in Leeton and more investment in agriculture, along with other factors we decided that we would give it a crack there. We plan to hold this for the long term.

We would like to invest a bit closer to Sydney but I don't think it's the best time to buy. we are thinking of looking in Adelaide and/or Brisbane in the near future.

If you don't mind me asking, what and where have you invested in?

Regards

Pete

5. pj79

pj79 Member

Thanks Tom!!

6. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Welcome Pete. Leeton is on my radar so interested in your post.

pj79 likes this.
  7. Steven Ryan

I have a few apartments in Sydney's inner west (Marrickville), and am about to settle a house in Brisbane. All within 10km of their respective CBDs. I'm much more comfortable in big cities than regional areas.

What were the other factors that drew you to Leeton? I am very curious as I have a relative who lives there and have looked into the area out of curiosity and I didn't see much I liked so maybe I missed something :)

8. pj79

pj79 Member

I guess when we started looking at Leeton we saw that the vacancy rate for rental was quite low. I think it was around 0.03% last 12 months and I think it's now around the 0.16%. The Gross rental yield while only at about 5.5% i think is ok for regional place and the fact that there is a lot of agriculture in the area which appears strong it just seemed good for us. We are hoping for $330-$340 week rent comparable for the size of the house and others similar to it.

I agree with sticking to big cities, however we only have knowledge of Sydney area which is fairly pricey atm and weren't overly comfortable in investing interstate until we did some solid research to make sure we were confident in buying in those areas. I have seen a lot of discussion regarding brisbane and a few of my friends have or are soon buying up there so I hope to look into it soon.

Cheers

9. pj79

pj79 Member

Thanks Chilli, happy to discuss Leeton.

10. Steven Ryan

Thanks for the insights Peter :)

pj79 likes this.
  11. pj79

pj79 Member

No problems Steven.