QLD GC going strong!

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Nathan Simon, 20th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Agree with the first half...the second...i think you are partly right and partly wrong. Higher population will create more demand and thus jobs..yes..but the kinda jobs @Mel_C and @Gockie are talking about will have severe competition from syd, mel, and brisbane and also maybe perth...and all those places are also expected to show goog pop growth in the future.the gc will need more than just beaches and babes to attract those kind of jobs..the likes of a significantly lower corporate tax rate will help..

blackrocky and Mel_C like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi Tekoz, sorry, missed your post. I love my Birkdale property because I have water views from my house, a train station a 12 minute walk away, a school within a 10 minutes walk, shops, 2 supermarkets, restaurants and the bay itself... all just a walk away.
    Wellington point is closeby too... Its a great spot to visit.
    I think its a really special location.

I'd like to buy another home in Brisbane, but I want to settle my home purchase in Sydney first (in exactly 31 days from now!) and also sell 2 other properties in Sydney and then reassess my finances...

Tekoz likes this.
  3. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

I agree with you on this I went up to Caloundra over Christmas and thought to myself Brisbanites are lucky to have 2 beautiful coastal locations an hour away to holiday at. The only problem is the traffic when everyone in Brisbane is leaving to go to these places on the weekend. I dont ever have a problem with traffic :)

Last edited: 18th Jan, 2016
    blackrocky likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Live in the Redlands.... get yourself a boat... go around and explore the islands... find a private beach... enjoy. :)

Paterson00, Sackie and Mel_C like this.
  5. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Ill keep that in mind for future holidays :) I love Moreton island so I can imagine there are some lovely quiet islands to explore.

6. Player

Player Well-Known Member

In time, I reckon the Gold Coast will be attracting the type of tele-commuting workers that technology will allow. Working from home is via an internet connection is already occurring. This will likely improve as less face to face interaction will be required for an increasing number of job roles. Employers can still keep tab on what people are doing and how much time they are spending on company servers by monitoring activity

This will increase the momentum of people residing in more lifestyle oriented locales (there's another acronym for LOL..........Hahaha LOL) :D

This will augur well for satellite cities such as the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Newcastle and beaches, Wollongong and beaches and so forth with other capitals. Artificial intelligence, machine learning and the advancement of robotic technologies will render some jobs obsolete and create other opportunities for workers to work from home more and more via servers and live where they wish. With specific regard to the Gold Coast as the topic of this thread, this should see a reducing reliance on tourism only based industries and more permanent (as opposed to itinerant) residents. The critical mass at present is at a sweet spot or circa 500-600 thousand residents and for any major occasional need for Brisbane, it's only up the road. The place is growing up IMO. Merely my 0.02. It's not advice to buy here. There are still reasonable opportunities in well located second hand houses hugging the coastal strip (although the recovery has well and truly underway) and as for apartments, I continually harp on about being careful of OTP and the over-supply that will likely manifest in 4-5 years time. It's all part of the construction cycle here. Centrally, they aren't making any more land so houses should do well.

Sackie, big max, Mel_C and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

This is what my partner does works from home on GC . Goes to Brisbane couple times a week for meetings etc. Another family member lives in Byron goes to Brisbane once a week. Companies are definitely more flexible these days in regards to your work base if you are a valuable employee. There was a segment on ABC news last night about the amount of apartment approvals on the coast I think people are constantly warned about future apartments oversupply here but yet continue to buy !

8. big max

big max Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with this.

Just over the weekend I met a couple with 2 kids doing exactly this. They have an apartment. in Sydney worth around 1.5. They are looking at selling up putting 800-900k into a very nice place on the Gold Coast and then maybe buying a second investment property. Husband does some kind of consulting online and wife runs a food advertising business. Neither need to be based in Sydney. They want more room for their family and were blown away with how good the Gold Coast is for living.

So here you have a perfect example. Now the kids in 20 years time might also want to keep living on the Coast, especially if it has sufficient job prospects. Further they have a very close extended family and retired parents who might also move up. This is the kind of traction that drives markets.

As for larger companies, rent is an inflexible cost. Talent on the other hand is more easily movable. It's a basic matter of arbitrage that companies will move to where the get he best value for money. It will happen as the Southport business district keeps being built to accomodate and attract such businesses.

Last edited: 18th Jan, 2016
    blackrocky and Mel_C like this.
  9. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Exactly why we moved from Sydney to the Gold Coast and are able to have house without a mortgage. More and more families will do it its a fantastic place with young kids.

Special order and big max like this.
  10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

To a degree yes ...to a degree ..no
    If that were all fully true then the likes of say san diego ca would be as expensive as ny...as would honalulu and many other places...the tier 1s such as london, paris , ny and even sydney etc have successfully used their competitive advantages to maintain price supremacy in their markets over decades if not centuries in some cases. The gap expands, closes, expands, closes etc in line with cyclical patterns. Places like the gc will need to either develop new drivers or develop existing ones or both in order to close the gap that not cyclical based.
    The point about working from home and using ict is definitely doable and an increasing trend but i doubt if that will have a measurable and noticeable impact on prices.

11. aussiemillion

aussiemillion Member

12. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Its not a bad position. That pocket of Burleigh is very popular as while its not on the beach its walk to beach and James St which is having a real renascence. A lot of nice cafes and bars opening . There are not a lot of older units left in Burleigh with low strata. I would buy a unit like that to live in if I did not have kids as an investment maybe if I could haggle the price down :) Knockdown houses on the nearby Acanthus Ave have been selling for about $750 K. I dont think the price is unreasonable for the location. Burleigh has been for the last year the hottest real estate spot on the coast

big max likes this.
  13. big max

Burleigh will only get better as "in the know" locals and visitors want to go a little away from Broadbeach. Not that Broadbeach is bad at all - it's also getting exceedingly hip but there are some who would see Burleigh as a bit more "local" or a little less "posh".

14. PatsyStone

PatsyStone Well-Known Member

Burleigh needed to lift its game with food . Having lived in Byron I always think of Burleigh a bit like a Byron of the GC but it's cafes and food outlets were seriously lacking .
    The new cafes in the arcades etc have added much better choices and ambience.
    No use having a cool hip
    Lifestyle town with Cafes belonging in the 80s.
    Says a lot for strip shopping . Lots of people still love it and want to
    See it stay.
    Eclectic independently owned shops mixed with funky Cafes is something the GC could see more of.
    I hope Broadbeach swings away from the 90s big is better look.
    A desire for a village feel is now a global trend.

Mel_C likes this.
  15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

this article disagrees a bit with the above
    The 3 technological revolutions & what it means for property investors -

16. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what they do with Broadbeach as it really is feeling quite dated and lacks the community feel that Burleigh has. Why as Big Max said the locals really love Burleigh to live. I think Burleigh will continue to perform well as you said its probably the closest GC has to Byron and the beach, headland and tullabudgera creek are very beautiful. Its definitely getting busier there every day. Those eclectic bars,cafes, shops are also opening up all over the place on the gold Coast HWY. It helps to be a local though to know where they are some great places have been opening in Mermaid.

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2016
    big max likes this.
  17. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Tate ain't my mate . Really ordinary. No real guidance.

18. big max

19. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

20. PatsyStone

PatsyStone Well-Known Member

Agree Mel,
    Broadbeach has a couple of Cafes doing well but they are of the Sydney/Byron style. Elk and Metro . They both capture locals and tourists. Broadbeach has some very nice bars and restaurants but it's absolutely looking dated in some areas. The Oracle side took off in another direction ...slick ultra contemporary city feel . It seems to work for Broadbeach where people like to dress up more so.
    Broadbeach is having trouble keeping tenants in the the shops all over.
    Naturally it's mostly due to high rents.
    Such a shame . I would open a shop if affordable .
    Let's hope some new blood injects new ideas.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia