QLD GC going strong!

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Nathan Simon, 20th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I'll Google this later but - is Brisbane really throwing their hat in the ring for the 2028 Summer Olympics?? I have to check what the competing cities are. I am used to nations traditionally putting forward their 'Tier #1' cities for Olympic Games.

But then I remember the US hosted it in 1996 in Atlanta... Not even a tier #2 US city.

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

If they've got a population to support an NFL, NBA and MLB team they should be Ok.
    Hmm, maybe not Cleveland.

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Dunno, but I think they will..and be a serious contender to win 2028 if they bid.
    Australia has already had their tier 1s host.
    In many cases, the IOC gives a bit of extra leniency, let's just call it, to second tiers especially those that want to punch above its weight. The exposure the Olympic games gives to second tiers trying to become closer to first tier is priceless. Look at barcelona and what it did there...the willingness amd growth path must be there however.
    Having the gc with comm games helps as Brisbane can leverage of the gc as required ( that's cheating a bit... In my view :))

Brisbane is just a little country town at the end of the day, and needs all the support it can get.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I reckon most ex-olympic cities become a bit dodgy.
    Barcelona and Athens are a good example.
    I've been ripped off in both places, pretty much the only places ever.

5. Nathan Simon

Nathan Simon Well-Known Member

If I were investing on the Gold Coast I would be looking in, Coomera and upper coomera, hope island and nerang.
    Coomera and Upper Coomera are obvious. Hope Island was in the top 5 growth (Capital Growth) suburbs in Queensland.
    And Nerang is basically logan for the gold coast, close to everything and cheap as chips.

blackrocky likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi Nathan
    Is Nerang flying?? just curious, I sold out about 18 months ago, it was starting to rise.

I agree Logan of GC, got to watch the tenants not easy to secure good clients.

Nathan Simon likes this.
  7. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

What do you think of all the high rises at surfers paradise? It booms, crashes and repeat. Maybe cyclical investing... as long as you get the timing right

8. Player

Player Well-Known Member

I'll go against the grain and recommend Southport and parts of Labrador. They aren't making any more land there. Parts are gentrifying and others are redeveloping into medium and higher density. I don't buy apartments so have no opinion to offer there. Aim to purchase as much land as possible (being mindful that it should at least be able to take a duplex or two and preferably three town houses) either close to the light rail or the University and Hospital. The closer you get to the Broadwater the more expensive the outlay and the lower the yield.

I don't know much about Coomera or Upper Coomera, however be mindful that possibly the (eventual) arrival of Westfield may have been priced in. Stay away from Pimpama and further north as there is no shortage of land there. As far as Hope Island (mentioned earlier in this thread) I would consider that owner occupier housing not investment grade assets.

Anything that is within a 10 minute walk to the beach from Mermaid all the way to Kirra and Coolangatta is investment grade however price points will rise depending on quality of the dwelling and size of the land. I can't comment on apartments as I don't buy these on a one by one basis.........merely my 0.02.

blackrocky, larrylarry, S.T and 2 others like this.
  9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what happens if you dress up like a bogan in those places :) ;-)

10. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Some great points @Player - can I ask if we should factor in capital gains on that 0.02? Also what if it is leveraged? I think the return could be much higher.

11. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Hi Matt. I think the party won't be over here for a few years yet. However, I will caveat that as mentioned earlier, I am talking second hand houses on good land with the amenity of transport and/or beach, cafes, jobs, schools, etc. The cranes have returned to the Gold Coast and there are going to be another (circa) 24 decent sized projects in the pipeline. I don't buy apartments and I don't buy new. People do your due diligence. I checked out Coomera (Boomera) 10 years ago where that prospective Westfield was going to be and needless to say was pleased not to have bought.

As with all investing I aim to be a little differentiated from the masses. The new OTP orgy that will reach full scale in the next four or five years will end in tears as the down cycle rears its ugly head again. If there is any mess to come from China this will be compounded as Chinese developers such as the Wanda Group have a few projects on the go and in the pipeline. If they have pre-sold and continue to market to offshore Chinese investors, then maybe, just maybe the apartment market will crash again. That's when they will be on special again.

I am no expert and only speak, having been here for nearly five years. I have followed the market from a distance when living in Melbourne and think houses are still good buying. The bottom of the market here was early 2013 for housing. There is little stock at present and a fair bit of demand from what I observe.

12. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

I agree with you @Player ...I have also been on the coast now for 5 years and watch the market closely. I bought houses in 2012/13 and have made some gains but agree with you bargains are disappearing and due diligence is essential on the coast. There will be a boom then a bust here like there always has been. Houses will of course fair better but they are not immune either.

Player likes this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

An aussie backpacker dressed like a bogan? As if.
    Tip: don't talk loudly about smoking American cigarettes in hearing distance of Iraqi immigrants while in a dodgy part of Athens in the middle of the night.

JDP1 likes this.
  14. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Here you go mate, you're on the right spot.
    This graph below was taken today from premium subscription page.

Note these two suburbs is the hot spot by Todd Hunter from where group Buyers agent, so you can't go wrong.

[​IMG]

Moreover, Westfield and Disneyland also have already spent their time & resources researching to build there so it is truly once in a lifetime deal.

mcored likes this.
  15. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

What about Coomera and Ormeau suburb ?

Coomera will go gangbusters when the building and event of the 2018 Commonwealth Games is held there.

Add in the urban sprawl from Gold Coast pushing towards Coomera, the fact Helensvale has already boomed, and the huge amount of employment in that area that Westfields brings, and its a very attractive investment.

There's a complete town centre going into Coomera, and the area is large enough to be self suffficient (like Rouse Hill and Macquarie Park in NSW).

16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Tekoz... You do realise that chart says that Upper Coomera houses are only back to their Dec 2010 median, and Ormeau houses are still 2% down on that figure, don't you?

Last edited: 15th Dec, 2015
    Tekoz likes this.
  17. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Yes, the reason it is shown up there is to show that those two suburbs is good buy now since the price is started to bounce back from the bottom.

18. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Tekoz likes this.
  19. Luka

Luka Well-Known Member

I spend a lot of time in the Coomera area. Just a few things to consider if you are not familiar with the area;

Coomera Waters was initially thought to end up being quite a nice area when it was getting established. In the last 5 years it has turned from having mainly owner occupiers to an ever increasing amount of rentals, highly occupied by our friends from the Pacific, and recently built lowset houses on micro-blocks. Unfortunately with it came increased crime and folk who enjoy yelling at each other in the street. Upper Coomera is a little better but is gradually heading the same way. It too now has a very high level of expats.

In Upper Coomera there is significant Motorway noise with certain wind directions in summer and almost always in winter. In summer it is noticeably hotter than the eastern side of the motorway as it often misses out on the seabreeze, and a little colder in winter.

There is a Westfield only 2 minutes down the road at Helensvale. It's surprising they are building two so close together. I'm not sure that it will do alot for the area. It has spoiled the lovely bushland that existed between Coomera Waters and the motorway on Foxwell road.

Getting from Upper Coomera to the motorway southbound is a headache most of the day. It has been like this for a few years but they are finally upgrading the on/off ramps. Hopefully this should help speed things up a bit.

UC has the big name supermarkets already established. There is a Bunnings and other supermarkets in nearby Oxenford established also. It is only a 20+ minute drive to the Tamborine mountains which is nice.

My concern is that, out of all the GC suburbs, it is the one that has the potential to become a modern day version of Nerang. UC is presently cheap housing and many of the new infrastructure labourers are living there. It might offer some return as an investment up till the Commonwealth Games, where it will then be downhill from there (my prediction).

20. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@Luka thanks for the sharing and report from the field mate.

Because my buyers agent told me that Coomera, Upper Coomera and Ormeau is the next place for capital gain while it is still affordable.

See the statistics below:
    [​IMG]

Btw, what is Nerang ? is that Low Socio-Economic place ?
    But somehow it is almost the same as per the statistics below:

[​IMG]

Source: Compare suburbtaken as at 15/12/2015.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.