Gas cooktop replacement sizing issues

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jelsa2, 20th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jelsa2

Jelsa2 Well-Known Member

Hi All

Real estate agent emails to say that the plumber had been in & says old gas cook top needs to be replaced. Issue is that the old one is 910 W x 410 D but can’t be wider than 450 D due to bench width. Of course most cook tops are 500 or more in depth. Just to make the situation worse, we are going overseas early next week for a month. I’ve just leased this property after being vacant for 5 months after the last tenants skipped out. So I’m hoping to resolve this situated in a timely and cost effective way. Currently two out of the 4 burners are still operating. Has anyone faced this situation and can tell me how they resolved it please?

2. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

No, I have not, but 2 things....

Why cant it be repaired ?
    Why cant you get same brand and model ?

Last is, I ask the tenants, do they need them all ?

Beware, trades and PMs will throw your money away no problems at all.....

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Unfortunately getting an Induction cooktop means the tenant may have to learn how to use it and purchase another set of cookware. I would want to kill anyone who made my very expensive stainless steel set obsolete.

I would ask the tenants if they can live with the two burners while you work out what is the best thing to do. Please dont rush into this. When was the last time you ever used any more than two burners on your cooktop at once? Ask the plumber what condition the other burners are, in case it is reasonable to leave it as is. If the appliance is close to death, it is time to replace it.

I know there are two-burner cooktops available that could be inserted in line with the benchtop. This would require an infill which would probably require a cabinet maker and some creative material, perhaps a stainless steel "frame" around the cooktop..

Tom Rivera likes this.
  6. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

I would have thought that at least one retailer in your area would have a cheap one in the size that you are after..
    Most cooktops come with a combination of burners , normally a large main burner suitable for woks and large pots and pans , a couple of medium size burners for large pots and pans and a couple of small burners only good for small pots and pans , whick generally get the least use , if these are the only two functioning ones left ,it would be a pain to use as they are not very good for heating up large pans.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You could replace it with an electric hotplate. This would fit and is in the reasonably priced range
    $486 Appliances Online

8. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Tom Rivera likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia