Gas and Electricity Bills when property is vacant

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by SouthBoy, 7th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

I recently had an IP in Sydney vacant for two months. After reducing the rent and doing some general cleanup, we found new tenants. After the new tenant moved in, they setup Energy services with Origin. Then AGL sends an invoice to the property requesting a payment of about $83 and $75 for Electricity and Gas for the vacant period. The tenant rightfully flicked this to the PM, and the PM flicked this to me asking I pay these bills towards AGL. I have had my properties vacant before, but never recall receiving an invoice for the vacant period. Besides no one was living at this property, in the 2 months which could explain these bills. Sure the PM would have turned the lights on, during open houses. But I can't understand the gas usage as it's only used for cooking in the house. Should I dispute this?

2. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

It's a mystery. Don't bother to dispute, but make sure the gas is not leaking.

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Is it gas usage or gas supply charge? If gas remains connected you will have daily charges for this.

I generally only leave electricity connected (or arrange a connection) and disconnect gas services. :)

WattleIdo and Perthguy like this.
  4. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Was there a pilot light left on, plus supply charge.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Did the tenants close their account?

6. SouthBoy

I am positive there's no gas leakage, as the stove is new, plus if there was gas leakage the 'smell' would have been obvious.

7. SouthBoy

I rechecked the bill and there is a daily supply charge of $0.64, amounting to $40.96, the rest is for usage. But I never had a contract with AGL it was the previous tenant. The bill is addressed to "Energy consumer", neither to me or to the previous tenant.

8. SouthBoy

I am not sure where this light is, besides I have new tenants at this property now.

9. SouthBoy

I couldn't be sure, but I am assuming they did as the bills are not addressed to them.

10. wylie

We had this where a bill addressed "to the consumer" arrived after tenants left. I didn't pay it. The account was not in my name.

I called the company to confirm it was not my bill to pay. They asked me for the forwarding address of the tenant. I politely told them that they would never agree to give me any information about anyone other than me or my account, and I had no intention of giving them any information about my tenants due to the same privacy rules they use.

Kassy, Stoffo, Phantom and 3 others like this.
  11. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Strange that there would be usage. It could be a day or two prior to the old tenant vacating/new tenant coming in thus usage, or a pilot light on a gas heater/water service. Otherwise just because AGL wanted :rolleyes:

If it's not under your name or previous tenants, I don't think they can really enforce payment. I'm no expert though.

SouthBoy likes this.
  12. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

If the account is not held in your name, you don't need to pay the supplier. Simple.

Scott No Mates, wylie and SouthBoy like this.
  13. SouthBoy

Curious to know, why they would want the previous tenant's details, if the bill was not addressed to the previous tenant but "to the consumer" ?

14. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

I suspect what happened is that AGL didn't actually send anyone to check the meter when the tenant moved out as it was out of cycle or maybe they couldn't access the meter as the tenant wasn't there when they came.

The old tenant moved out and cancelled. AGL gave them a final bill they produced based on their modeling - not actual reading. This is common practice when utilities can't access the meter: THEY MAKE IT UP! Then they adjust the difference next time or whenever they can get access to the meter. Once I have a $500 higher gas bill because they had made up the bill for months - the tenant was always out when they were visiting.

I should also say that just because you ring up to disconnect the utility they don't physically disconnect anything which is why your electricity and gas worked on those 2 months. It's only disconnected on their system. When the new tenant signed up with a different provider 2 months later they had to complete a real measurement this time and give a final bill to someone -except the utility was in no ones name. If the new tenants had stayed with AGL, They would have most likely inherited the extra charge and probably paid without noticing!

So now AGL has done a final measurement and you - as the owner - are the closest to the person responsible for the bill. You can disputed it but good luck getting an answer - and truth be told a tiny part of these bills are yours.

If it was me - not wanting to spend hours on a call center - I'd just pay it, claim it as a tax deduction and move on

15. wylie

I don't know the answer to that. It may have been addressed to the tenant (long time ago). I do recall clearly that they asked if I had a forwarding address for the tenants. That's when I told them that due to privacy reasons I could not give it to them (surely they understand that privacy issues cut both ways).

I do think it didn't have the tenants name on it though, because I wouldn't have opened an envelope like that. I had been dropping their mail to their new place, but this one I opened, and that could only be because it was addressed to "the consumer".

I've no idea if these tenants ever hooked up in their name? I cannot imagine they didn't because surely the provider wouldn't keep issuing bills for a few years just to "the consumer".

Who knows?

16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

It's a service supply charge which comes in at approx $1.41 to $1.50+ per day (!).
    There is no way around it other than to ring your provider and have it officially disconnected when no-one is there but if you need elec and gas during that period, you want to keep it connected.
    It has nothing to do with current or previous tenant.
    Not sure when all this started and it seems an exorbitant rate to me. However, the amount you were charged seems to fit fairly with that formula.

17. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

If you are not the account holder, it is not your bill. Contact the Energy Ombudsman if push comes to shove.

18. SouthBoy

I have told my PM, that I won't be paying these bills. My PM's response was, "that's your decision, but most likely AGL will send debt collectors after you as you own the property.". Let's wait and see, hope they don't keep adding $50 extra every month as processing fee, and make me pay a fortune at the end. I bet they are used to having 9/10 people pay these type of bills for the same fears as I am having.

19. wylie

I called my provider and they told me it wasn't my account to pay. Why not give them a call.

Mention the ombudsman. If you have to pay it to stop a black mark on your credit, then I'd pay it rather than take a moral stand and end up with a bigger problem.

20. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Its tax deductible, just pay it ... :rolleyes:

ChrisDim likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.