Garden bed against brickwork - problem?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by dan_89, 6th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Currently in the process of doing some quick landscaping and was wondering about my front garden bed. I have created a semi raised garden bed using treated pine sleepers and planted a few small grasses etc.

I have read that it's not a good idea to have a garden bed next to brick work as it leads to excess moisture near footings and also increases risk of termite attack. The soil height is currently around 50mm under the brick vent slots (need to cut in proper vents soon).

Should I be removing this garden bed or just leave as is? Brick work is already pretty shotty so not overly concerned although Id prefer the problem not get any worse!

Thanks in advance. Pic attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 7th Mar, 2016
    MJS1034 likes this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

So you just put it in and now you want to rip it out? :eek:

To be safe you should pull the house down :D

Barny likes this.
  3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Have
    Has the house had problems with termites or moisture before? If not, I wouldn't worry too much -most houses have a garden at the front like that. A termite guy advised me to move mine but concreting around a house is common in the central west of nsw 'cause it can get really dry and then really wet i.e. extremes.

4. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Haha well if the responses are bad enough I'll feel better getting rid of it! Personally I think it will be ok as it has been the same height for im asuming over 20 years, all I've done is create a treated pine boarder rather than the blue stones that were bordering the garden bed before hand. I only asked the question because my neighbor bought up the fact that it's probably a bad idea having a garden bed there which led me to a few quick google searches. Now I'm unsure.. And yes, chances are the house will be going in 6-8 years anyway!

5. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

No issues with termites but when I purchased the property there was mould in the front bedroom (RHS looking at the front of the house) which I had treated and has not returned. Wether that was rising damn issue or lack of ventilation etc etc I am unsure. It has not returned since being treated. The mould was behind a wardrobe unit in the bedroom and the window has not been opened for a longer period.

6. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Mould in the front room as noted above. This was treated and then painted over with antibacterial paint. Has not returned since. There is only around 300-400mm under the subfloor at this point of the home. Garden bed in question is directly outside this window.

Attached Files:

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Looks like a pretty self-sufficient garden not requiring a lot of watering. And no trees or shrubs for termites to do their work. Is it grass? I'd be tempted to wait and see. Ventilation makes such a difference inside, too.

8. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

I believe the main issue with garden beds against the brick wall is that the weep holes in the brick work can get covered and this allows a path for termites to get into the house.

A pest inspector previously advised me to uncover the weep holes and that would probably stop it becoming an issue (that was in 2010, we sold that house in 2014, buyers didn't raise any pest issues with us).

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Depends on the termite treatment. If it's the barrier mesh then the garden beds have to be 50mm below the mesh. As you say the weep holes need to be uncovered to.
    I think it will be fine. You haven't raised it more than it was and it's not like it's 300mm up again the house.

dan_89 and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  10. bob shovel

Now... What's going on in the second photo? Have you got the Mrs digging with a teaspoon?? Might be there for a while :D

11. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

You could put a blue metal path across the front to the side of the house removing all loose stuff the termites like (looks like there's a gas meter up there)
    Then plant in front of it, retic (if used) facing away towards lawn.

If my place, I'd kill the grass, plant/mulch the entire front yard with low maint, no more wasted water, crap looking lawns etc. Could place some slabs off the side of the drive for extra parking.

12. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Haha you've got a keen eye for detail it seems @bob shovel! Shes far more persistent than me, I gave up on that stump about 3 times! Ended up slamming it a few times with the tow bar on the van (don't try this at home kids!) and got it out.

13. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Hi WestOz,

Not quite sure what your meaning by the 'blue metal path' but asuming its some form of metal barrier? Was thinking of doing something like this but with some sort of plastic angle that would run back under the garden bed to eliminate execess moisture running back towards the house and possibly deter termites?

I think I'll take my chances and leave as is for now to see how it goes though. I have a bad habit of doing something then thinking later rather than planning before I start..

Looking at doing the drive way next so will be adding in a few pavers or extend the concrete driveway onto the grass area to add extra car spaces. Would prefer grass around that though, not a fan of the tanbark look to replace grass..

14. bob shovel

Haha the do nothing option is probably easiest :)

Leave it for a few months to dry out then have another go. Dig around and bust the roots

15. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

As in blue metal gravel (cheap).

What I was trying to say is replace where the garden bed is with a gravel pathway, keeps moisture and nibbles away from foundation/wall etc.
    Leave the current garden bed border where it is, now acting as a path border, box out in front of it for a garden bed.

16. SueA

SueA Well-Known Member

Tenants had put their lawn clippings in this garden right up to window sill, after we bought the place pulled all plants out and concreted. And new tenants and agency.

Attached Files:

• 130.JPG
      130.JPG
      File size:
      112.1 KB
      Views:
  17. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

I had a massive garden bed in my place when i moved in. It was majorly overgrown in front of the house with that sifferebt varieties of plants even bamboo
    I decided to get rid of it and then put more grass in.best decision id made!