Garage to the corner side of proprty

Discussion in 'Development' started by Sanz, 5th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sanz

Sanz New Member

Hi everyone
    Can I build garage at the side of my property? I like house frontage without garage. They look more classic to me. But I definitely need a garage as well. Can I have a side access garage as my lot is a corner one? Plus do I need any permits and approvals for it? Any additional costs associated??
    P.S. building in Melbourne metro region

Thankyou

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

You mean access to the garage off the side street? Should be ok. Building permit yes. Planning permit - depends if there is an Overlay. setback to the street may be an issue for you to consider

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depends on setbacks. Corner lots typically have flexibility to adjust setback if the other alignment is moved. eg as the house comes forward the side will move inwards. There is also the street alignment to consider. Then there is the roadway line of sight issue for fences which also may need setback. You may need surveyor / town planner guidance to assist to determine where your setback lines are to determine the space you can work within.

Its a development appliaction for a permit. Once the land is identified then drafting for plans can commence. They will be submitted. Council will charge fees and levies.