Garage to secondary residence in Canberra

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Shane1, 10th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shane1

Shane1 Well-Known Member

Hi guys

I have a 930sqm RZ2 corner block in Canberra with a double garage with concrete flooring, bricked sides and tile roofing. It roughly measures 9.5m long, 5.7m wide and 2.9m high.

I'm thinking of converting this into a secondary residence but keen to understand from anyone who has experience in this field to see if this is possible and where to start.

Thanks

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

@S1mon is clued up with this stuff - but not sure if he's looked into a garage conversion. I know he's done a GF.

I'd follow Paul's advice too and hit up ACTPLA - at the end of the day, there the guys that will say yay or nay

Cheers

Jamie

4. Shane1

Shane1 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I've spoken to ACTPLA and there are definitely a lot of requirements.

Before I even start, it looks like I need 2 new car parking spaces one of which is roofed. This means I may need a new driveway and carport on the secondary street frontage of my block setback 5.5m.

I will also likely have to meet water savings measures and some acccess/mobility requirements.

Looking at Sydney conversion websites, there is a whole bunch more stuff I haven't look at such as structural integrity, energy efficiency, water proofing etc...

Very complicated stuff!

I've had a look at S1mon's post and left a reply so hopefully I'll get some more info.

5. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

Hi @Shane1

I don't know a great deal..but taking a step back

Your in RZ2 so you have 2 options ,separate title or secondary residence. Given the changes in the recent budget, separate title would now have a 60k change of use fee, as opposed to 15k. So probably not worth it. If you do a secondary residence its good to design it as such so you could title later if you wanted (i think you have to do storm water direct to mains, as opposed to from same pipe which is required for secondary residence, so some smallish changes would be needed no matter what).

I would have a chat to a designer, try Nathan Beer, the guy i used, he was happy to take on something outside of the norm and would be happy to have an informal chat.

The accessibility reqs are not actually that bad. They sound painful but nothing a good builder can't handle without any issues or much additional cost. When i started I thought it would be a lot harder. Sure, you need a larger room and some flat paths etc but nothing too bad.

Again, the water saving measures are not that bad. There is a spreadsheet on ACTpla somewhere and you just have to get to a certain %...nothing a few 5 star toilets etc can't help with. And the water tanks just need 'provision for' so you get points but don't have to actually do them.

Anyhow happy to chat further or even show you mine if you are keen. I think its a good idea, particularly on a corner block, particularly if you don't jeopardise future unit titling of it.

I would have chat to a builder too. Might be cheaper to knock down and rebuild

Cheers
    Simon

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2017
    Shane1, Archaon and Jamie Moore like this.
  6. Shane1

Shane1 Well-Known Member

Thanks S1mon and appreciate the offer of help which I will definitely take up as I get further into this project.

I've emailed Nathan and he has responded pretty quickly so will explore it a little with him and get a feel for how things could go.

At this stage, I am 100% keen on getting this done so it's just a matter of finding the right person with the right process and cost.

I'll keep everyone updated as I go along until I succeed or get shut down by something.

7. Shane1

Shane1 Well-Known Member

I thought I’ll post an update on this. I’ve made a lot of progress and have got my BA and will commence construction shortly.

This type of project is doable with the right people and plans.

8. JenF

JenF New Member

Hi @Shane1
    I just came across your post and am wondering if you succeeded converting your garage to a separate residence. I'm thinking along similar lines. I'm in an RZ2 zone with an 880sq/m block and looking to convert my double garage into a flat (it's currently a rumpus room at present so is already habitable space). Any advice on where to start or who to talk to would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

9. Shane1

Shane1 Well-Known Member

Hi Jen - Yes I was successful. It’s done now and got the BA approval. Getting rent worth a small apartment so very worthwhile.

Coffee likes this.
  10. NLow

NLow New Member

Hi all,

Great to see that a garage conversion has worked in Canberra. Do you know if it has to be RZ2 to work? Our place is RZ1, but the rumpus and garage form the 'L' shape off the side of the house. They are more than 3m from the boundary line too. Definitely large enough, just curious if council would approve the conversion to a flat.

I would also be interested in who you used if you're available to give advice!

Thanks, Nicole

11. Shane1

Shane1 Well-Known Member

No I don’t think RZ2 would affect this. It’s an extension and I was able to get DA exemption. You need to build a good builder, building certified and draftsman. These 3 will get you the outcome. I found them myself and project managed this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia