garage remote - bond held

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by voodoo, 29th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. voodoo

voodoo New Member

Hi,

I have been renting a unit for the past 3yrs and recently moved out to a bigger premises.
    When returning the keys The Real Estate told me I had to replace the garage remote as it was cracked and held together with sticky tape.
    I explained that that was how it was given to me 3yrs ago but I would replace it as they were only about $40.
    Yesterday I received an invoice for $132 to replace the remote.
    I questioned the cost and asked why I was being charged $132 to replace a remote that is $29 and programme in 2 minutes.
    They have instructed that I have to pay the $132 or they will take it from my $1700 bond money.
    I feel this is blackmail, if I do not pay they just take the money.
    Do I have any options here?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Tell them to shove it where it fits. Three years, fair wear and tear. See you at tribunal. That will more than chew up their $132 in time, filing costs and general stuffing around.

Perp, Dean Collins, Rugrat and 6 others like this.
  3. voodoo

voodoo New Member

Yeah it has ****** me off. In three years I never rang them once. Changed all the shower heads, fixed leaky taps, installed smoke alarms and fitted bathroom exhaust fans for the owner. All for no charge and now there carrying on with this crap.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

They can't just "take it", they make a claim against the bond. If you don't agree and don't sign the bond claim form, you will be able to lodge a dispute.

Pictures of the remote aren't on the entry condition report?

- Luke

Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

How did you obtain permission to do the works then ?

Don't get me wrong, I've been on both sides of the fence....
    Once insulated and painted a place internally (with permission) at my own expense, the landlord wouldn't replace the faulty front door lock/handle !
    Then they had the audacity to try to charge me for a replacement (when I took mine with me and re installed their pos)....

Does the actual owner know you have improved the property ?

Or are you just dealing with a PM ?

I definitely try to look at issue's from each parties perspective these days ;)

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Just offer to send your replacement....

You have to understand a business is not going to play around with ebay and some cheap programmed hack, they are going to use the local locksmith who warrants work....

So, your choice, you replace or pay what the local charges IMO, unless you can show it was not working when you got it or whatever....

And your type annoys the P out of me, doing changes etc without getting approval, many people changed things on my places that were already newly replaced, and then caused leaks, ******* annoying the tinkering tenant !

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia