Garage Door Colour

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by giraffez, 5th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the front of the house, but my bricks look something like this. Mine actually has more mix of black and brown bricks than the photo below.

bricks.jpg

I have a double garage door at the front. Would it be too feminine to use a colour like berry cream to paint the garage door?

TAUBMANS BERRY CREAM, T12 25.C6, Taubmans Colour Centre

I've used this pinkish rose colour on the trimmings of my roof and I love it. Its not feminine at all. But here we are talking about a large garage door.... and possiby the balustrade as well to highlight the colour.

Otherwise, i'm thinking a green colour like Zenith Heights

Popular outside schemes | Dulux

or a more olive green Silver Grass Half

Dulux Paint Colour Chart - Explore the Full Range Online | Dulux

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Too feminine!

Can't see the issue. What could be better than feminine.

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Without seeing it, if all other trimmings, gutters, down pipes, windows, fly screens etc are in a similar color it should blend through.

Concider how it, or what would look best from the street.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I have recently replaced a garage door and it was really difficult to decide on a colour.

In the end, I got a Dulux colour consultant in - for $150 they give advice on internal and external schemes and write it all up as well as providing A4 size paint samples. I highly recommend this, given your colour questions in other threads.

Apart from that, I strongly suggest you go for a more subdued colour.
    The garage door should not stand out too much compared to the rest of your house.

The colour can be dark or light - but needs to work with the bricks.

Post a picture of the whole house, showing the garage door - ideally from the street so we can see what it looks like as you approach the house.

Last edited: 6th Apr, 2017
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So, based on a photo of something vaguely similar you want members to second guess a recommendation?

As @Joynz said Dulux have consultants or get your painter to show you a few.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Thanks all. Good points.

I was really trying to gauge whether that pinkish colour was too feminine to use for such a big surface area, not whether it's a good fit for the property.

The bricks was just to give an idea that it's brick and multi coloured and may have a pinkish hue that may be overpowered with a pink base door

If it is then I may go with a more neutral green base colour

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Seriously NOT pink or green! And definitely not cream - so dated

What colours are your guttering and window trim? This should guide you on the colour of your garage door, to tie the house together ... but ... if the trim and gutters are awful (ie Mission Brown) then I would pick out either a darker grey variation.

Go down to Bunnings - grab yourself a swag of sample cards and hold them up to the bricks. The buy a swag of sample pots and paint big scraps of gyprock or cardboard and place them next to the bricks.

Colour can change in different light, against different tints of colour.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you screen grab a google earth picture and post it? I'm with Lizzie on this. It will depend on the look you want. We have a black garage door. If we didn't want the punch of colour, we would have chosen something that blended with the house colour.

Perthguy likes this.