Gap closes to Labor leading by only 2 points

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sackie, 18th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Last edited: 18th Feb, 2019
    EN710 likes this.
  2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

To early to tell. These jumps happen all time. People are reactive..... then they forget. It’s hard to forget incompetent government though

TSK likes this.
  3. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Labor is trying to chase too many tax changes - many impacting older Australians. Very bad move I think (well in terms of politics anyway). Coalition will be nailing that in right up until the poll closes.

Toon, Zoolander, EN710 and 4 others like this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

It seems to me that many of Labor's proposed tax are targeting the middle class who are trying to get ahead and self fund their retirement. They'll have very little effect on the ultra wealthy.

Toon, Sackie, Angel and 3 others like this.
  5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Another un-losable election?

6. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Another helpfull change today in Parliament for small business with a little help from the Nationals and Labour, which makes it easier for small business to take on corporate Australia.
    Its been Labour policy since 2016 and the Nationals were in favour of it , although the Liberal party have long opposed the measure, but in the current environment they simply dont have the numbers to oppose the measures. As is turned out , rather than face another loss in the House of Reps , they let it go through unopposed.

7. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Bookmakers have Labor at 1.20, it was 1.14 a few weeks ago. More scandals emerging daily from LNP, Labor will win easily. Today we had this

Yesterday the head of ASIO contradicted this statement by Dutton.

I know many LNP voters who don't like Labor, but also can't vote for this "incompetent corrupt government".

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

And I'm one of them ... at a total loss of whom to vote for in Federal.

Think I'll stick with LNP in the NSW State elections coming up - they've done a pretty good job, even if there are several decisions I don't agree with

9. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Before Malcolm Turnbull was elected leader, I thought, well economically he is right wing, but he is progressive when it comes to social and environment policies. I would definitely be satisfied with that. Other left wing voters would probably be the same. What a total disappointment he was, and the subsequent shift to the right has put many voters off.

qak, Propin, inertia and 6 others like this.
  10. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Whether they will admit it in public or not many Australians want a tough stance on illegal immigration. Labor might have shot themselves in the foot a bit in this regard. A couple of dramatic boat arrivals in the next few weeks could turn the tide.

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm one of them. The tougher the better. Enough is enough .

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Illegal immigration really encompasses people who overstay their visas. While technically people who work here on visitor visas aren't illegal migrants, they should be a concern to Australians.

https://www.smh.com.au/public-servi...aying-visas-in-australia-20170718-gxddpj.html

Many people flying in also apply for asylum - but that's not illegal

76 asylum seekers a day fly here

Refugee visas and protection visas allow applicants to work here legally until the case has been decided. I've seen some reports that some applicants view this as a way to work here for a period of time before going home - a form of working holiday visa.

This can all be a problem because many people who work illegally are happy to work cash in hand, at much lower rates than those entitled to work. I've seen first hand the difficulty some Australians have had in getting above board employment in areas where there are a lot of backpackers, and I've met some of the backpackers who shouldn't be here any more.

As far as the refugees on Nauru and Manus - they've been kept there long enough. They were unfortunate in being caught up in a change in policy. The message has been sent to would be boat people. Those people should not continue to not be treated humanely.

The government exercise to open Christmas Island to treat sick Nauru asylum seekers, at huge expense just to avoid having them treated on the mainland, is a cynical exercise costing an enormous amount of money. Would round the clock guards on people being treated in the mainland cost anywhere near as much as opening Christmas Island?

Toon, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  13. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

It is not illegal to seek asylum. Australia is a signatory to the Refugee Convention.

geoffw likes this.
  14. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Not try to start an argument about the validity or otherwise of “asylum seekers”, just making an observation that while the labor party are patting themselves on the back they may have opened up a possible point of weakness for the Libs to exploit coming into the election.

15. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Understood, I'm just trying to clarify a common misconception. Listening to various centrist political commentators, the public want secure borders, but they also want the humane and fair treatment of asylum seekers.

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think he still was a right wing progressive (which is why he didn't fit in Labor either) but was severely hamstrung by the backroom string pullers who thought more like the current mob.

Malcolm had so much potential, and support of the people to do so, but he didn't have the backing within the party itself. Another case of the influencers trying to fulfil their own agenda rather than what is best for the country

Blueskies and LibGS like this.
  17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yes reopening Christmas Island is a shameless and expensive political stunt. Absolutely unwarranted and would not have happened if we did not have an election coming up. Morrison must be praying every night for a refugee boat to turn up in the next three months.

Lizzie, LibGS and geoffw like this.
  18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The government consciously started referring to asylum seekers as illegal maritime arrivals in 2013

Is it right to describe asylum seekers as 'illegal'?

Morrison argues that they are illegal, not because they are seeking asylum, but because they are entering Australia without proper authority. This however contradicts the provisions of the 1951 United Nations Refugee Convention.

I would argue that using the term illegal is an attempt to demonise the people.

They shouldn't be contradictory aims. Morrison thinks that they are. I don't think the ALP are that much better.

willair and LibGS like this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

From reports today, I gather the government is wanting to send refugees requiring medical treatment to Christmas Island rather than the mainland ... a political stunt for sure, as surely Christmas Island doesn't have sufficient medical facilities either.

Getting rather tired of the Libs getting on ABC mornings and turning every unanswered pointed questions into a whinge about Labour.

20. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Yet if your a local , and you get a bit more than a headache, they want to send you to the mainland for treatment.
    Yet the government will spend billions on medical treatment for asylum seekers.
    Hopefully the locals will have access to the medical facilities on the island, or is just reserved for non-australians .

Last edited: 21st Feb, 2019