Sports & Fitness Games tickets - not cheap

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wylie, 2nd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hubby suggested this morning we try to see some cycling for the games, starting Wednesday. Velodrome is not too far from us so I just jumped on and one event there are five tickets left. Cheapest price is $639 per ticket. :eek:

A different day, different price... just $274 per ticket (cheapest, and upwards from there).

I'm guessing if we've bought earlier, we would have paid less?

To be honest, the benefits of being in the velodrome would have been offset by the traffic, congestion and hassle of getting there, so we will watch on telly, and wait for the Tour in July to get our fix.

Angel likes this.
  2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Wait for every one to go see the cycling and go have a quiet dinner somewhere? I guess it's decent given the security they would have everywhere.

3. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Sad they don’t have cheaper tickets for locals. You’d think it would be better to have it look full on tv than to make a profit. I use to go to the Indy on the Gold Coast. Often the stands would be empty due to the profiteering going on with the cost of the seats. One year, they let people with walk around passes into the stands, looked much better on tv.

Is the cycling at Chandler? Traffic for any event can involve a bit of a walk there. I hope you can source some tickets!

4. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Why wait, the 1 day classics are on now, Tour of Flanders last night, Paris/ Roubaix next week.:eek:

158 likes this.
  5. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Curious how you find tickets? I went online and the website said it's fully exhausted. Tickets | Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Or am I looking at the wrong game (Cycling- Track)

With that price, I might as well watch the Opening Ceremony. Cheapest is $100/adult.:D

qak likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Usually cheapest tickets sell first. Last minute offerings are usually the most expensive.

Daughter bought tickets through the first ballot, successful for hockey and gymnastics. From memory she paid around $20-$30 per ticket.
    Marg

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Finals are way more expensive than the preliminary rounds @wylie, have a look at the other days (premium tickets are always the best & rarely the cheapest).

qak likes this.
  8. wylie

We've been watching some of the cycling (saw Cav hit the bollard), but thought to be in the velodrome would be like being at the State of Origin... amazing atmosphere.

Tickets to many events are showing "sold out" so I'm guessing the stands might be full by the time of the event. There were only five tickets left at $639.

9. wylie

One event had five tickets left. Others were sold out, and a few tickets remained at other cycling events (the cheaper ones I mentioned).

So perhaps it is fully sold out now?

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

@wylie check out the routes for the cycling road races. Stand on the roadside as they whizz past!
    Marg

11. wylie

We've been too busy with other things to have thought about tickets.

To be honest, I'm not bothered that we won't get tickets. I've chosen to miss artists I'd love to have seen rather than go to the Brisbane Entertainment Centre. Crowds, parking issues etc put us off.

I was just surprised that anybody would pay over $600 for one ticket for a cycling event.

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You didn't think way ahead last year and apply to be a volunteer?

Someone I work with got assigned to Belmont Rifle Range. The volunteers got no say in where they were posted.

kierank likes this.
  13. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

If they gave volunteers a choice, there would be no volunteers for certain sports...I can't see any other way they could have done it.

Cycling at Chandler sold out very quickly..I balked at $200 tickets for bad positions, and that was way on the day of release!

I'm off to a couple of sports this week on the coast.. I'm going to drive down - I'm betting on most thinking the roads are too busy to bother and scared of all the warnings... like today, back from NSW, possibly they quietest/fastest run ever for a long weekend!

14. wylie

Goodness... no! :eek::D:p

15. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I got preliminary final tickets to Netball last week for $30 (adult) and $15 (child). As we dont know who will be in this game yet, its a bit of a lucky draw, but the potential to see Australia, New Zealand, England, or South Africa playing someone is high.

As for cycling - as one of the biggest followed sports in the world, will attract much more interest. However, its a 2nd tier type of championship to be honest. All the major names will be at the one day classics, and getting ready for Tours, and not worried about Commonwealth Games glory (dependant if their nationality allows anyway.).

pinkboy

16. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@wylie, that is exactly what I did, became a volunteer. I was rostered on for 15 shifts at the Velodrome and at Belmont.

I have already completed nine shifts (including Good Friday and today), so I have six left. Four shifts at the Velodrome this Thursday to Sunday nights from 5pm to 11pm, being the four days of competition.

The other two shifts are at Belmont the week after.

Totally enjoying the work.

Not true. When I had my volunteer interview last year, I told the interviewer I only wanted shifts at Chandler and Belmont.

That’s exactly what I got.

Very happy as I live 10 minutes away from my work ;).

Pumpkin, Player and Gockie like this.
  17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If anybody would like to come and Volunteer for the Invictus games in Sydney (October 2018) - I'll give you free accommodation. :)

I should be part of the sitting volleyball referreeing contingent.

Pumpkin likes this.
  18. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the games to begin. We are attending Gymnastics finals, Weight Lifting and Athletics finals. My wife and my daughter are volunteering, both rostered close to home in Broadbeach. I might go along too watch the road cycling at Currumbin as well as watching the marathon which comes very close to where we live. I have changed my mind about triathlon. Much easier watching on tv from home. Southport will be absolute mayhem on thursday morning as swimming is on there as well. We tried twice for swimming tickets and knocked back both times....then they released more swimming tickets a couple of months back and even more recently last week. Sick of their games at playing with this :mad: We watched Pan Pacs live in 2014 when the Southport Complex was finished. That was great. Shall watch swimming from home instead.

@pinkboy is netball down here on the Gold Coast or in Townsville/Cairns?

Pumpkin and kierank like this.
  19. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Gold Coast.

pinkboy

20. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

The GC2018 app produced by Optus is a great little app for answer all sorts of questions about the Games including this one :)