Game theory of Airbnb review system

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Ouchmyknees, 22nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

For those who are unfamiliar with Airbnb’s review system. The Airbnb review system is that if both host and guest leave each other a review, the two reviews will be published immediately. If only one of the two parties leave a review, this review will be published after 14 days. The guest/host will not see the other party’s review until after it was published, by the time the review cannot be changed, but the guest/host can comment on the review.

I have come across this interesting situation lately, when I know if the guest leaves a view, it is almost guaranteed that it will be a bad one.

Here is what happened:

My Airbnb studio is described as “ one queen bed sleeps two and one sofa double bed sleeps two.”

The guest booked for four adults for one night.

The guest requested to check-in at 10am, I declined. (My standard check-out time is 11am and check-in time is 3pm.)

The guest and his friends showed up, four adult guys.

The next day we realised that they did not end up staying in the studio, they threw the bath towels around the bathroom and left us a very disrespectful note on the guidebook, so we need to replace the guidebook.

Given the above, my thought process was:

If he leave a review (which almost certainly will be a bad one), and I will leave him a bad review as a counter measure.

If he doesn’t leave a review, I will not leave him a review either. Because he knows that if I leave him a review, it will almost certainly be a bad one, subsequently he will most likely leave me a bad review as counter measure.

Unfortunately, one cannot expect the guest who was smart enough to book two beds in one room for four guys (assuming not couples) to understand game theory. He left me a review today and he also requested a full refund for the night. As a defense, I have no choice but to disclose what happened in my review to him. I think it will be difficult for him to get a place in the future given his behavior. On the other hand, a bad review will be very detrimental to my business, but probably not as bad to the point for him.

2. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

Its good to let other hosts know, so i am a fan of doing neg reviews.

If i think im getting a bad review i will hold off up until day 14, and hopefully have a few other reviews waiting, so that the comments are atleast not at the top.

Will lower your averages but if you have been doing it a while it wont matter that much.

Did u tell him to get stuffed re refund :D

thydzik and Ouchmyknees like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I don't think a bad review is necessarily bad for your business, so long as you give the facts and reasons for your review.

If you wait till his review is published and then reply, does the guest get to reply to that? You probably don't want to get into a war of words, but neither should you let an unfair bad review go unchallenged.

And, so long as your site described the property correctly, I would not consider a refund.
    Marg

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi @Ouchmyknees, perhaps add a "you must acknowledge", of the bedding situation, before a person commits to booking?

I should do the same. Technically, I can also sleep 4 in my 1 bedroom apartment, but I feel the sofa bed in the living area wouldn't be so comfortable for many people to sleep on for more than a very few days.

Last edited: 22nd Nov, 2017
    Ouchmyknees likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Any Airbnb I book shows the number of beds by type, prominently at the top of the listing. If your guest missed that (assuming it's on your listing too) then it sounds like a deliberate omission on their part.

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  6. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

After they left I changed the setting to three person max, I just can't be bothered to deal with this kind of situation again.

Nah-ah, I absolutely won't get bullied into providing a refund when I did nothing wrong.

This is good tip, thanks!

7. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

If he has left a review, you need to leave one. Make it short - long tit for tat ones are tiresome. Say something like:
    'This guest booked an apartment with a queen bed and a double sofa bed. Four blokes showed up and seemed surprised that the apartment had a queen bed and a double sofa bed. They threw towels around the bathroom, destroyed the guidebook we leave for guests, and asked for a refund. I have reported these guests to Airbnb.'
    Then when their review goes live, you respond similarly to it.

thydzik, teetotal, Marg4000 and 4 others like this.