Education & Work Future Proof Jobs! are they really?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 380, 12th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

You may not have heard...

2013: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/robots-let-doctors-beam-into-remote-hospitals-2013-11

2014: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/ibms-watson-may-soon-be-the-best-doctor-in-the-world-2014-4

2014: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140516-i-operate-on-people-400km-away

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I couldn't see myself in a world without mirrors.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hence my comment about being a value adder. Once u are you are never tied to a single job/business/industry

4. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

Education is becoming a big problem - you can complete degrees in pharmacy, law or psychology but then you can't actually break into the profession now unless you pay to do practice as well. I know of people trying to break into psychology who graduate from 4-year degrees and then have to go on and pay $30,000+ to try and get experience from a private education provider; in the past you were able to get that experience either for free or actually get paid to do it.

Law in particular has become a complete disaster - there's just too many graduates and not enough work.

5. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Agree. This is already being done. I know a firm that had been doing this for 10 years.

Greyghost likes this.
  6. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Robotically? Nanotechnology?

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

We'll have to try that out on remote communities first.

The Y-man

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Ye olde humble property manager won't be offshored......Just ask Optus.....

Oh that's right, they offshored the administration and accounting functions years ago.

Fortunately the regulations governing the PSBAA (NSW) require the licensee to be in control of the place of business (office). So PMs are safe for now.

9. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Rental Express has its own office in the Phillipines. The actual Property Manager may be in OZ but they can run a lot more properties if they have others chasing arrears, organising maintenance, doing the accounting etc etc

10. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

@sanj, can you elaborate what you mean here, in layman's language. As someone who is looking to change careers my ear are pricked.

11. 380

380 Well-Known Member

As others said, i don't think any profession is future proof.

In recent and short future climates, service related profession will be doing well.

Dentist
    Chef
    CPA/CA accredited accountants (even thought industry is venturing offshore, will need someone in aus to sign off on it)
    Lawyers
    Surveyor

to name few!

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Oct, 2015
  12. sanj

Sure, this is just my take on it based on my personal experiences and seeing others in similar situations. Some will agree and some wont.

Basically almost any business can be improved to some extent, should there be the inclination to do so.

If you work on your skills to be someone who can help do that, regardless of the market as a whole you will be in demand.

I have spent years building up my skills in this regard. Doing lots of free work for people, doing some paid and some discounted etc. Basically try to improve your overall skills.

Can you go into a business in an industry you dont know well and work out ways to improve it? It could be the way their structure is set up from an accounting pov, it could be that theyre not doing enough forecasting, they could maybe run a lot leaner and subcontract out some tasks that arent profitable to do in house.

Are they leasing equipment and spending a fortune despite having the money to purchase it? Is it worthwhile purchasing it?

Do you have contacts that could help them get more business or lower cost or get their accounts or legal matters in order?

Are you maybe great at sales and can recognise there are opportunities they arent even trying to take advantage of and offer to do so on a commission basis?

Im involved in a few businesses in completely unrelated fields at first glance:
    - Property development management/consulting
    - a tech accessories business
    - a tech startup/app thats about to launch
    - nightclub
    - starting a mix of a hub/serviced office/function space
    - a few others in a minor role

At first glance it appears unrelated but a lot of skills can be transferred.

In order to get to this point though like with a formal education or an apprenticeship you have to improve/learn.

Ask people you know how their business works or doesnt work, what they do etc. Ask friends who are employees what kind of stuff works and doesnt, what could be improved at their work. Ask if you can sit in on some sessions if someone is planning on starting a business.

Also, and this is a big one, create an oustanding team. This can take years but pays off exponentially. Ive got a few contacts who are so outstanding that people will let me get involved in a project because i can get those contacts to sort things out and they either wouldn't know who those contacts are or they wouldn't be able to convince them to help.

Make yourself be seen as a problem solver abd value adder and you'll never be short of offers. I didnt finish my law/commerce degree so only have a year 12 education but i constantly get job offers or other offers to get involved in a new project, this month alone there have been 2 and its only 2 weeks in.

Sorry for the long reply, i felt it had to be substantative.

The Y-man, charttv and SouthBoy like this.
  13. sanj

Also, grow a magnificent moustache and get a professional profile pic taken, i went all out with the gold shirt but some might see that as excessive

Lizzie, The Y-man and charttv like this.
  14. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

Haha! Wow! you got so much going there. I was never comfortable starting a business or being self employed. The reason could be, never had anyone in the immediate family be self employed or have seen many friends succeed. Been happy being an employee for 15+ years. Best part is once you leave work for the day, you don't worry about work until the next morning. If you are self employed though, this is not the case.

But I now realise being an employee has its limitations in a slowing economy. Unless you are in a service industry (medico, law.....) work is not guaranteed until retirement age. I have seen many guys at work retrenched in their early 50s and are struggling to find jobs.

So you are right, diversifying your skills and contacts is the best way. But its easily said than done. Try saying that to someone who's been doing the same job for 20+ years. Its not easy to teach an old dog new tricks.

15. sanj

@SouthBoy you certainly arent alone there, there are many risk averse people out there. To me though in some ways i think, depending on circumstances and pay of course, being sn employee can be risky too in terms of not following your passions or not reaching your potential.

You can certainly be a value adder while an employee btw, i know of a few people like that.

If you and another guy are employed ib an identical role but you have additional skills that help the company outside of your official job description who do you think is more likely to get retrenched?

SouthBoy likes this.
  16. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Teacher... I should be fine.

SouthBoy likes this.
  17. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I don't agree with lawyers being in low supply either. It's just that there is a shortage of experienced lawyers that don't want to work excessive hours anymore and are burned out.