VIC Future of Greensborough

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by DreamzUnlimited, 11th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Watsonia Road is the most affected leading up to the Watsonia Barracks. The local MP distributed the map to the houses in her district. That is why I got the information

Apparently the home owners have already been approached. Some have been told their houses will go and some have been told theirs will not . According to the local paper some of the houses will be facing a large concrete wall!!

2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

If you live in that area you knew it would be a matter of time before they did something to increase the amount of traffic through there.

3. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I am at Lower Plenty. When we bought here 50 years ago we were going to buy at Rosanna but was told there would be a Freeway at the bottom of the garden. Eventually it will now happen . Hence we bought just a bit further away.

4. FromWatsy

FromWatsy Member

I've noticed there are a lot more houses for sale in Watsonia North this year, mostly on Sellars street. I wonder if these are fire sales to escape before the project kicks in. If as they said M80 will be widened then the freeway wall will run along these ppl backyards. Not to mention all tge noise and dirt for at least 10+years during the construction.

Chrispy likes this.
  5. DreamzUnlimited

DreamzUnlimited Well-Known Member

Hi everyone:

Just thought to give some life to this post again. I am just in a dilemma about where to buy. Our main consideration is now a good primary school, and preferably secondary (though a log way to go). I was looking at Viewbank as an option and apparently it has got really good primary as well as secondary schools. However the suburb has got problem with transport, and may be some flooding issue? Not sure what's gonna happen to it after NE Link is built.

Compared to that, if I consider properties around Apollo primary school zone/Greenhills Primary in Greensborough will it be better in the long run or is Viewbank still a better choice?

Any input/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    DU

Last edited: 6th May, 2018
  6. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Wondering if the situation at greensborough has changed? Have prices plateaued?

7. Big Will

Like most of Melbourne I don't think it is booming so yes it has likely plateaued.

With an annual compounded growth of 10.4% of the last 5 years it really couldn't keep up the steam I feel which is also confirmed by the trend in demand drop off.

upload_2018-8-20_9-46-28.png

Triton likes this.
  8. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Thanks, any thoughts on Yallambie? Particularly in the viewbank high school zone? Seems like good value compared to rest of Melbourne.

9. Big Will

Doesn't meet my investment criteria (not saying mine is perfect).

I would rather Viewbank over Yallambie though, however without a train line I would prefer Rosanna, Macleod, Watsonia and Greensbourgh.

Maybe that is why it appears better value :)

10. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Streeton views has a more direct access to the brand new Rosanna station compared to viewbank, and the houses seem newer and flashier. Greensborough, McLeod and Watsonia don't have good public schools in comparison.

11. Big Will

Thing with getting in good public schools is that can change quite easy. They cannot change the train station location as easy.

Also school selection is not criteria for all buyers/tenants want but access to city is something most people generally want.

If you are sending your child privately then location isn't as important.

PropNuB likes this.
  12. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Believe it or not only 5 percent of melbournians use trains on a daily basis, saw this in the news this week.
    Are there any sections of greensborough that should be avoided? The streets of Henry St look pretty decent and very central to station and shops

13. Big Will

5% of your market is a rather large percentage from a 'daily' prospective.

There was 228M boardings a year according to Metro Trains Melbourne - Wikipedia which would be an average of ~625,000 trips per day. If the average was 2 trips per person (one in and one out) then that is 312k people of a 4.8M population which is 6.5% (close to your average) however we are also including weekends so the % could be actually closer to around 10% for the working week.

You might think the other ~90% don't use the train so it isn't an influence but it would be as my wife and I both drive for work and yet my wife is using the train tonight to go to the city not that this is a reason we bought there but an advantage. She will also come home with myself in the car so only one trip for her.

With about 1/2 the population being 'working age' (source - Live Australia Population Clock 2018 - Polulation of Australia Today.) these are the people who want to be close to jobs and with the highest concentration of jobs (and more highly paid jobs) being in the city access to the city can become a key driver. If we took the daily amount of return trips being 312k with 50% of the Melbourne population as being working age we are now at 13% - I am sure this number would be higher if the trips was separated to work days rather than all days - as I am purely guessing but I would think weekdays on average would have more commuters.

Further a person of less than 15 and over 65 will unlikely be visiting the city on a regular basis compared to people in the 20-60 bracket. Again I am purely guessing here but I am pretty sure the 20-60 bracket has more disposal income as a median than the less than 15 or above 65 brackets.

So if the people with the largest disposal incomes are needing access to the city and you have one suburb that neighbours that has no station that is slightly closer than the neighbouring suburb which does have one - I think you will find the neighbouring suburb has a higher median price.

Watsonia 830k median vs Yallambie 805k upload_2018-8-31_15-43-58.png

upload_2018-8-31_15-47-10.png

Same with Rosanna median 1.15M - Viewbank 983k

Spiderman likes this.
  14. equityma

equityma Well-Known Member

15. equityma

equityma Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy a unit in those areas due to the NEL
    If there's a tunnel from Bulleen to Greenborought hwy then I think the traffic in those areas will improve hence more livability.
    You said in previous post that there will be no tunnel and overpass intersection at Grimshaw will be an ideal.
    Could you please explain why there's no tunnel.

My question is
    What's area is the best to access this NEL to the Airport.

I'm also looking at Nunnawarding and Donvale as it's more easier to access to the city.

16. Big Will

No tunnel at Grimshaw St it is an overpass... maybe you should look at their concept video of the project...Home

The NEL will link up with the ring road and not directly to the airport (indirectly via the ring road). So I cannot answer your question as you are really asking what is the best way to access the ring road which already exists but I do find this is the easiest way;

upload_2018-9-3_15-23-29.png

17. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, I agree. My point was that streeton views is a quicker drive to Rosanna station than most of viewbank.
    Also, having a closer look at sold prices within streeton views shows that they are much higher than the Yallambie median, probably because of viewbank college zoning.

18. malleybull

malleybull Well-Known Member

Hi all

I am thinking of upgrading my PPOR in inner/middle west of Melbourne (1950's 3 bedroom weatherboard) to a larger house more suitable for a growing family.

Would love to have at least 4 bedrooms / 2 bathrooms (double story) as well as a theater room and pool / outside entertaining area as well as a decent size block of land (minimum 650 sqm).

Would also want to be not much further out from the city than I currently am (currently a 33 min train ride / 30 min by car).

Budget is around $950k up to $1.2 million.

Looking around it appears that Greensborough would fit the bill as per the house below.

18 Forest Street, Greensborough, Vic 3088

Also looking at Point Cook area as per the house below

47 Emily Crescent, Point Cook, Vic 3030

Although it would appear you get slightly more house for your money in Point Cook I am still leaning towards Greensborough as I think Greensborough has a better environment (more trees, etc) and also a train station / closer to the city via public transport and car.

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on the above. Any other areas I could be looking at that would fit my price range / house requirements that are relatively close to the city (30 to 40 min by train)?

Also interested to hear from anyone who lives in Greensborough about the positives / negatives of living in the area. What are the local high schools like?

Thanks!

Malleybull

19. DreamzUnlimited

DreamzUnlimited Well-Known Member

I believe three public (primary) schools in Greensborough have done really well in recent years:
    1. Greenhills
    2. Watsonia Heights
    3. Apollo Parkways

upload_2019-6-22_9-19-25.png

Source: 2018 VIC Primary School Ratings

20. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Relative to the average school, but discerning parents would want better, not saying NAPLAN is the be all end all.