Future ensuite - capped water / waste water install

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by curtly, 2nd Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. curtly

curtly Member

I am having a house built and I want to provide capped hot/cold water and waste water to a bedroom for a future ensuite.

I don't want the builder to do the ensuite now because I am already over budget.

They are saying they can't provide capped plumbing points to a non-wet area (i.e. a carpeted bedroom).

My question is, can I get sewer/water pipes installed later through the ceiling and/or walls, without having to go through the concrete slab? If so, is it a straightforward job or complex/expensive?

See attached for the appx layout of future ensuite (external wall)

Attached Files:

2. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Surely you could at least run the waste pipe and just have it capped at both ends, that way its not a connected service, but is straight forward to connect later on when it becomes a wet area?

I understand they couldn't run the connected pipes and then cap them in the wall and under the floor, but if its not connected at either end then its just a pipe?

3. curtly

curtly Member

Excuse my ignorance... one end of the pipes will be where the ensuite is, but isn't the other end of the pipe in the concrete slab? If so, how can they be re-connected at a later stage?

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yeah the slab would need a pre-plumbed to sewer for the shower, basin and loo that is all capped. Sewer has to fall not rise. **** and water doesnt go uphill. And then water supply to walls as well for loo, shower and basin. Sure maybe leave it unconnected at some point for that but where ? You may need to know exactly where the outlets are capped behind gyprock but the gyprock will also need removal. Then there is the issue of floor heights and waterproofing etc. And then that affects waterproofing and wall linings but walls would all need to be ripped out later and then waterproofed etc. . I suspect you are asking for something that will be a challenge to comply to code.

A ensuite doesnt need to be complete to get an occupancy cert. Why not have it part built but incomplete ? eg capped pipes, floor wastes and all no tiles, screen, loo vanity etc. Have builder check with certifier. Some project guys may refuse as it reflects on their image. A lender could have issues with this. But do they do final inspections any more ?

5. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

The future waste pipe is installed before the concrete slab and capped just below the surface in the correct locations, Toilet, Shower and Floor waste and concreted over, making sure photos & measurements are taken for later minor demo and connections, the other part of the pipe is run outside to the connection point of the sewer, then capped it is then ready to connect later.

Same for the water pipes, Pipes are run in the wall (Rough In) and run to the outside water connection and capped, then its a small demo of the wall sheet and install Tap connectors and shower head.

Don't forget to have the sheet the wall with Waterproof Board otherwise you will have to have it all replaced later, which isn't a big deal.

The floor waste is the $$$ saver.