Fuse box

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Beelzebub, 12th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Okay, I have a fuse box in a Vic IP. I want to check my understanding that it is okay for house to be tenanted without a safety switch? (I want to make sure I'm not currently breaking the law)

In any event, I would like to install a new fuse box with a safety switch as I have a preference that my tenants do not electrocute themselves. However, apparently the height of the fuse box is not to code. So, according to the electrician, I need to lower the fuse box by 200ml or thereabouts. This I take issue with: yeh okay, it's a little high; but its going to be unnecessarily expensive to lower it.

If I want to do the right thing and upgrade the fuse box, does it matter if the box remains not up to code in the sense that it might be difficult for a 5 foot nothing person to reach? What would be the consequences on having a sparky upgrade the fuse box to make it safer but leaving it at its current height?

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Find out what your pm requires you to have and the legislationfor your state etc
    Then get another sparky or 2 to come around and see if he/she picks up on the height. The safety switch is the important part so just ask for that plus what your pm tells you

3. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Put a step/platform in front of it.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sparky will need to replace the mains from the point of attachment to the board as there won't be sufficient slack in the cable.

5. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

You couldn't use a junction box? But of course, I don't want to move the thing, It's fine where it is: I just want to upgrade it and make it safer.

6. Scott No Mates

@Beelzebub - no you can't use a junction box, the mains must be continuous.

7. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

You can install a saftey switch very easy job. Moving meter box not so easy.

8. lightbulbmoment

Yes all you have to do is upgrade to saftey switches. Do not move it unless its in some crazy unaccessible place its a waste of time n money.

The australian standard for a main switch is no lower than 1.2m and no higher than 2m from my back in my tafe days

9. lightbulbmoment

Are you a licensed Electrician?

10. Scott No Mates

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I'm an unlicensed unqualified electrician. And my electrical tape standards say no to Junction box on the main. Just get a safety switch