Furnishing 2/2/1 bedroom apartment. How much to budget?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Gopnik, 4th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gopnik

Gopnik Member

Recently bought a 2 bedroom apartment. One bedroom has an ensuite the other bedroom is just a stand alone room. Will use the room with the ensuite as my main bedroom, despite this one being smaller and will use the bigger room as an office/guest room.

My question is, what is a reasonable amount to spend on everything such as furniture, beds, whitegoods, etc.

TIA

2. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Is there an answer to this question? When I came here from UK I brought next to nothing, having decided to start again and buy what I liked with no real regard to cost. In the event furnishing a two-bed apartment cost me around $10K - virtually all my furniture came from IKEA, not because it's inexpensive, but because it's what I like. YMMV.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depends where you shop and what you like. You can go from Fantastic Furniture or Gumtree second hand up to KING and bespoke made stuff. Time to visit a homemaker centre where there is some choice and start planning. Agree also look at IKEA as they have homewares and finishing items etc as well as the larger things like bed, sofa etc. Personally I dont like their sofas. Hard and small and not leather.

Also consider a furniture auction or bargain warehouse (Google Melbourne Furniture auctions) . I picked up 2 x 2 seat leather sofas new for $400 at one. Had a cracked leg and I just bought replacements at bunnings for a few dollars

Tip use some grid paper and draw up spaces like a floorplan to scale. Include room sizes. Then make many copies. Then take a tape measure and sketch possible locations and costs for items.

Last edited by a moderator: 6th Apr, 2022
    jbv likes this.
  4. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

There is some pretty good stuff on FB marketplace if you are happy with the legwork involved in buying second hand.

Even better is if you can find someone selling everything due to an interstate/overseas move.

I would say less than 2k if you dont mind ok second hand furnishings plus a bit of Kmart.
    Most people (as have I) need to get rid of furniture in a big move as its cheaper to buy again than transport interstate/overseas.

You really only need a TV, fridge, washing machine, sofa and bed intially. Coffee and dining tables etc can usually wait a bit. I find the main nuisance with buying or selling second hand is dealing with the public and arranging transport for the larger items.

jbv likes this.
  5. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

How long is a piece of string?
    My first question is the Location. Is that a prestige upmarket area, or more working class? I like to spend as little as possible, adhering to the trend. The old saying, be the worst house on the best street!

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

How long is a piece of string? It depends - on whether you buy some second hand - whether you buy everything new - whether you buy from King Furniture or Ikea - how un/cluttered you like your space - whether it has built-in storage etc

Hop on online sites - such as Ikea, appliancesonline and Temple & Webster and have a look

rick1988 likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia