Funding a renovation

Discussion in 'Property Finance' started by aroe, 8th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aroe

aroe Member

Hi all

Just looking for some opinions from the brains trust.

We own a terrace in Sydney (currently ~78% LVR with CBA), and are looking to renovate significantly - additional storey, additional bedroom, new kitchen, bath, living, etc.

We will be owner-building with help from immediate family.

Cost estimation is approx. $150-180k, with us holding approx $100k in cash. What would be the most cost effective/easiest way to raise the shortfall of $50-80k?

I assume banks wont want to touch us due to the owner builder factor? Personal loan?

Cheers!

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What will you do with it afterwards?

3. aroe

aroe Member

Live in it, for at least for foreseeable.

Maybe pull equity out further on down the road.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Sydney 80% lvr, significant reno. Market not going anywhere.

How are you planning to pay back the loan?

5. aroe

aroe Member

Two decent incomes, no dependants or other significant overheads. Not too worried about serviceability - I would think even at unsecured rates a $50k loan is not going to be too much to worry about.

We went lean on the purchase to keep some cash up our sleeves to fund the bulk of a renovation.

wylie likes this.
  6. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Easiest way is to do get your broker or banker to order some upfront valuations with a couple of lenders and see if you can do an equity release up to 80%.

If the valuations come back short then you will need to fund it via a construction loan.

Yes lenders don't like owner builders but there are some niches out there. Are you a registered builder? If you have an ABN then your company can prepare a fixed building contract to you the individual.

7. aroe

aroe Member

Thanks Shahin. I am not sure we'd be able to pull out much at this point - we are just under, or even on 80% already.

No licensed builders available to us unfortunately, only trades. It is my understanding this makes a construction loan even less palatable for the lenders - I am not sure how the fact we'd only need a small top up would come into play though, as well as the fact we'd be generating a stack of equity.

Cheers.

8. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

I have a similar situation in Melbourne, albeit with a better LVR. I simply went to my bank and asked what the max was I could borrow for non-structural renovations. They came back with $105K, P&I at 4%. So I asked for a $105K loan for renovations and had the funds in my account later that day. All up LVR is now 71%.

I have registered as an Owner Builder (required in Vic) and will be demolishing the rear 1/3 of the premises, adding a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, family, alfresco, garage and carport. Of course the bank funds will only be for the non-structural stuff :rolleyes:

9. aroe

aroe Member

I wish we had the equity to lean on!

What compelled you to specify non-structural in your request? Are there any traps for beginners surrounding this?

10. Redom

Redom Finance Strategist Business Plus Member

How much is the house worth? Do a few desktop valuations and try and release equity this way.

If not, personal loan. Once renovation is complete, refinance the loan (higher val) & pay back the personal loan. Assuming the renovation adds value of course.

11. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

You may be lucky as some lenders do system vals and they may come back in line with your expectations. You have nothing to lose by trying - they are mostly upfront and free.

Since the work is structural you won't be able to do it as an owner builder unless you are a registered builder so that throws that option out the window.

I think you think to consider the first option.

May not be applicable but will throw it out there that if you are a medico, solicitor, Accountant, etc you may be eligible for 90% no LMI.

12. aroe

aroe Member

Thanks everybody for the input.
    Will chat to the broker/bank in any case, though my gut feel is we'll end up with a personal loan be able to pull out the equity post build.

Cheers!