Fundamentals

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Mccuzzle, 13th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mccuzzle

Mccuzzle Active Member

Thanks Colin, appreciate the comments. I invest in other areas, but want to diversify into property.

2. Mccuzzle

Mccuzzle Active Member

Thanks Jane - a few people have mentioned borrowing capacity so I might look into that while I read up..

3. Mccuzzle

Mccuzzle Active Member

Thanks for the comment, I’ll craft out a plan and review against what I read.

jefn89 likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think borrowing capacity is most important atm, but good to know . You need to know how best to use that borrowing capacity and cash/equity you have first with a good strategy/plan to get you moving towards your goals.

In fact I've seen it work against some people . A bank tells them they can borrow upto 1.4m and they think its spend, spend, spend time.

BST and jefn89 like this.
  5. Mccuzzle

Mccuzzle Active Member

I tried a few calculators and they tell me I can borrow way more than I want at this stage. I’m keen to get going, but small to start with.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Also be aware there is a fine line between "small" and "risky" - you might have less money "at risk" but the chances of success may be significantly lower.

Eg. a 1BR apartment in some far flung regional town is going to be a small exposure - but it may be a very risky investment in terms of getting your money back let alone seeing a return.

The Y-man

7. Mccuzzle

Mccuzzle Active Member

Thanks Y man - I’m thinking between $300k-$500k with a max 80% LVR to start with. This puts me in Adelaide and Hobart territory, probably less for Port Macquarie (caveat - areas to be researched)

8. Mccuzzle

Mccuzzle Active Member

Update - I managed to get hold of:

• More Wealth from Residential Property - Somers - good read and knew probably 70% of it already - good fundamentals as well as some insightful info

• The Truth About Positive Cash Flow Property - Lomas - halfway through this one and finding it quite good - builds on the first one (above). She references her other books a fair bit so might get those as well (?). The key message I found with this one so far is the difference between positively geared, and positive cash flow - prefer the latter. The LOC loan is interesting too, as is the structure options.

• Grow Rich with the Property Cycle - Trass - haven't started this one

I also had a broker around who went through some good options and loan amounts way higher than I plan to use straight away. Still targeting something sub $500k and cash flow positive from day one.

9. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Good stuff. Knowledge will help you find a better path without having to rely so much on the words of salesmen lining their own pockets telling you to buy some OTP rubbish on a small piece of land out where demand will be forever low.
    I read about 4 Lomas books and found them ok but not awesome. I mainly use it as an understanding of one type of strategy to then compare and contrast to the strategies by the other authors, so I would continue with the books by the other authors instead to get more rounded viewpoints and strategies.

Mccuzzle likes this.