Fully furnished 6 month lease in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Peacefrog, 21st May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peacefrog

Peacefrog New Member

Hi all,

Wondering if you can provide some advice on our situation.

We are wanting to rent out our PPOR for 6 months while we go do "Van life" before our eldest starts school next year.

Because it is for the short term and we want to leave in July, we would prefer to rent fully furnished in order to not have the added hassle of moving out our stuff and renting storage.

We've done airbnb in the house for years while we go away on holidays etc and are used to people using our stuff. No problem on that end, but how desirable is a F/F property to tenants? Was thinking it might appeal to somebody moving to Brisbane to test the waters before committing. (Esp combined w the short lease)

On a rental appraisal we had done a few years ago we were cautioned by the agent that we'd have to replace anything for the tenant that broke etc, so we are aware of that also.

So there's that.

And also, what management fees should I be expecting?

Appreciate any advice!

Michael Mitchell and Pumpkin like this.
  2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Can be done, I do a few, details in my sig below if you want to chat over coffee about it, same fees as unfurnished :)

upload_2021-5-21_16-13-44.png

Pumpkin likes this.
  3. Peacefrog

Peacefrog New Member

I'll PM you

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I manage a few fully furnished places in Sydney, have found that the demand has lessened since Covid but there are still those wanting furnished, whether relocating for work or want to 'test out' a new city/area.

Generally slightly more work for an agent to also account for inventory during ingoing/outgoing.

5. Samantha Chiarelli

Samantha Chiarelli New Member

In my experience a fully furnished apartment will appeal to students and single professionals here for a contract term or to help them get settled in regard to securing a longer term option.
    Certainly there is demand for it however the rental return is not a huge amount higher for furnished.
    I always warn my owners to be prepared to replace certain items than you would not chase a tenant through QCAT for, for example, missing cutlery or stained linen etc.
    A detailed inventory is key.

6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Fully furnished is more desirable the closer you get into the city. If your property is in Goodna for example, it's probably going to be a bit of a struggle. On the other hand, if it's somewhere like Paddington, St Lucia, Coorparoo or even right in the city, pretty good demand.

Some agents will charge a bit more, some wont (particularly if you mention it's only for 6 months). Make sure they do a detailed inventory (or you can do it for them) and take a huge amount of photos!

7. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

To me the issue is not so much of Fully Furnished, it's more because it's only a very short-term business for the Agent.

8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

They are rare as hens teeth in Brisbane, we wanted something like this when we were building. Ended up in student type 2 bed apartment in SouthBank, furnished $650 a week

Michael Mitchell and Tom Rivera like this.