FTTN NBN box in my lot - Understanding my rights

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Ramy, 22nd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ramy

Ramy Member

Hi,

I recently registered a lot with a easement running on one side of the lot for services. However recently I noticed NBN has put up a FTTN switchboard box on the service easement side and it sits in my lot backyard after the survey report came.

Want to understand what rights as a owner I have on this and can the box be moved out and also should the land contract say of there will be a box placed in the lot.

Can anyone share your thoughts please. Thanks.

2. ff3

ff3 Well-Known Member

Generally I believe NBN have the ability to place items at their discretion, and moving it typically at your expense.

3. Ramy

Ramy Member

Yea that's not good. This is the big green switchboard box and any idea how much that would cost. Thanks.

4. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

NBN uses low impact legislation to install there crap without requiring permission. I have a big dumb green box on the footpath open up meme again what was that in front of my Terrace house.

It's unsightly and easy knocks $100k off the value.

You may not get compensation if the easement is already in place.

Last edited: 22nd May, 2020
  5. Ramy

Ramy Member

Hmmm, Thanks for your response. Trying to see if there is an option to request them to move the box to the corner so that I could put a fence around that and is not visible. Has anyone done it before and any idea how much would that cost to move it. Thanks.

6. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

The contract or a title search should show the easement and its purpose. Unfortunately I'd say there is zero chance you can have it moved.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You CANT move it. Fibre is unable to have joints. You can't afford to move it. The box costs 110k to install.

I was involved with a civils company that installed these and a car crash can cost 150k plus. A cmux cabinet even worse. That could cost 180k easy. They are bigger and taller. Just the ground earthing sometimes is a 25k add on

Unusual it's not on street side adjacent to a footpath since that's where Telstra runs it's gear and puts out front.. It's got to be near a old school pillar..Maybe within 100m. Techs need access..

Is it square edged? Not power transformer or junction?

Last edited: 22nd May, 2020
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You have given consent to NBN to install their equipment, they would have sent you a letter (LIFD or LAAN), If you didn't object, you consented.

The NBN equipment shouldn't be on your land but on council land.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Developer prob didn't consent and ignored it. Strange ..it should be adjacent to footpath. No way would it be in backyard even on easement. Sure it's not a power junction? They could move it later.
    Google Image Result for https://westernpower.com.au/media/3193/green-dome-sq.jpg

Cmux looks like Google Image Result for https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/25/Telstra_roadside_cabinet_housing_a_RIM_and_CMUX.jpg/1200px-Telstra_roadside_cabinet_housing_a_RIM_and_CMUX.jpg and is usually on main road or intersection.

Fttn looks like this Google Image Result for https://simonyeo.id.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/NBN-node-Pakenham-20160522.jpg

Last edited: 23rd May, 2020
  10. Ramy

Ramy Member

Thanks for your response. Attached a picture of the box in my lot. Mine is a corner lot adjacent to a private road for access to lots behind me.

The box says MAIN Switchboard. Thanks.

Attached Files:

11. Ramy

Ramy Member

Attaching one more picture here which says Main Switchboard.

Attached Files:

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is that NBN's equipment? It's not labelled NBN from what I can see.

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Looks more like an Electrical Switchboard?

The Y-man

14. Ramy

Ramy Member

Yea, I'm confused too. Is that safe to have a electrical switchboard box in the lot. Will they move this is requested and should this be mentioned in the contract that a structure will be sitting on the lot.

15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

16. Colonel Flagg

Colonel Flagg Member

that's not an NBN FTTN cabinet.

When you input the address into www.nbn.com.au what is the "Technology used in your connection" ?

I suspect as it is new estate it is FTTP ?

17. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

It looks like the distribution box for underground power to the nearby lots.

18. Ramy

Ramy Member

Thank you all. Its an Electrical Meter and Distribution board.

The Y-man likes this.