Frugality taken too far?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by John_S, 11th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chillingout

Chillingout Member

That sounds like paradise, I have been living in a tent for the past 6 months, Far from cheap btw. You will need plenty of solar and battery power if wanting to live off grid, or find somewhere to plug in over night. If you want to live seriously cheap it can be done but will need to consider how much water needed and how long it will last. How much power needed and how to replace it, parking in full sun for solar panels.

There are plenty of dump points around, for a lifestyle choice I'd say go for it if you can work anywhere, but a share house would be your cheapest option financially. Sorry to highjack but what should an unemployed homeless person with 50k be looking at doing?

2. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

Depends on the person & age of life, They should be aiming to get a job or start a business.
    If they are a pensioner, I'd imagine invest it conservatively (tough right now) to supplement their pension.

$50k is a decent chunk of cash. it's enough for a person to build a whole new life. Not enough to live off indefinitely though.

3. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Would love to hear more about your last 6 months. Have you been working at all during this time?Do you have a car?

I decided to go with a smaller tradie van for weekend road trips, maybe get a big sprinter when I retire :)

4. Chillingout

Chillingout Member

Hey John

I think a tradie van with a bed inside and solar on top to power a fridge lights and phone would be a mint set up. Easy and straight into bed without setting anything up. out of the weather, good choice.

I originally took my saved up holidays and long service leave at half pay. It lasted me about 8 months.

I have a ute that i set up with solar, batteries, water tank etc.

I've travelled most of the top end of Aus in that time, been to the Northern, Central and Western points so far and just pulled into Geraldton this arvo. Being younger and able to rough it abit, not needing the luxury of a camper/caravan has been such a blessing to be able to do more of the remote tracks I dreamed of but wouldnt have been able to do while towing. living on half pay has been more than enough money for me when not paying for day to day things like a house and electricity. Vehicle upkeep has been chewing up some savings tho (blowing a 3 day old tyre sucked) but seeing so many amazing things and being able to enjoy the walks has been so cool. As for working I flew back to Brisbane to help out for a couple of weeks while visiting friends and family but that's all. could certainly find work around if i needed the extra money.
    I do miss working abit luckily after being away from it as I will have to return to the rat race soon enough but I'd recommend travelling while your young and can do the 10km walks that some retirees struggle with.

craigc, John_S, Angel and 1 other person like this.
  5. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Mate you are living the dream!!!

Great to see people getting out and enjoying this beautiful country we are so lucky to call home!

6. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

pick of van from weekend trip to Lennox Head van.jpg

Terry_w and Chillingout like this.